Speakeasy
Canada
Joined 3839 days ago

507 posts - 1098 votes 
Studies: German

Message 1 of 7
21 November 2015 at 7:08pm | IP Logged 
Bonjour mes ami(e)s,

I have a copy of the Assimil course "La pratique du Néerlandais", which is their advanced/second-stage course for learning Dutch from a French base. Regrettably, this course is out-of-print and many people report extreme difficulty in locating used copies. I would like to scan my copy for my (cough, cough) personal use; however, I do not wish to physically disassemble the book. So, ...

I have a fairly good HP multi-purpose printer/scanner. The Assimil course book is almost 500 pages in length and, unfortunately, the book does not lie flat on the scanner surface. Also, since the scanner controls permit the creation and saving of only one document at time, it seems to me that I have to "nurse" this process over an extended period, unless, of course, there is some method for creating several scanned documents (PDF) and recombining them afterwards. Does anyone have any "tricks" that they can share with me so that I might complete this (cough, cough) "personal" project?

Merci à l'avance!

Edited by Speakeasy on 21 November 2015 at 8:39pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Elexi
United Kingdom
Joined 5352 days ago

938 posts - 1839 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 2 of 7
21 November 2015 at 8:33pm | IP Logged 
You can buy an old copy of the 'full' Adobe Acrobat 6 Standard on Amazon for about $7 -
this allows you to assemble the pdfs into one file

Better be quick though - one left apparently. Acrobat 7 is $29

http://www.amazon.com/Adobe-Acrobat-6-0-Standard-VERSION/dp/ B00008ZGRY/ref=sr_1_1?
ie=UTF8&qid=1448134347&sr=8-1&keywords=Adobe+Acrobat+6

Edited by Elexi on 21 November 2015 at 8:33pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6490 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 3 of 7
21 November 2015 at 8:36pm | IP Logged 
Photograph it. If you have a good camera and the text remains legible then you can add the individual photos to a pdf or a powerpoint file. You may however have to put the camera on some kind of stand in order to get photos of sufficient quality.

PS: Flexi knew something I didn't know. But my answer is still valid in those cases where you simply can't find a certain book in any kind of digitalized form.

Edited by Iversen on 21 November 2015 at 8:41pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6226 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 4 of 7
21 November 2015 at 11:00pm | IP Logged 
You can use imagemagick, which is free, if you can use a command line, ideally by converting to PNG and just back to PDF at the end. http://superuser.com/questions/54041/how-to-merge-pdfs-using -imagemagick-resolution-problem
3 persons have voted this message useful

aokoye
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5328 days ago

235 posts - 453 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Dutch, Norwegian, Japanese

Message 5 of 7
22 November 2015 at 2:01am | IP Logged 
Find a library with a book scanner. Not that that's exactly easy but they aren't terribly unusual at
universities. Otherwise I'm in agreement with the "photograph it" idea. There are also a handful of
smartphone apps that have OCR capabilities and are designed for photographing and processing text.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Speakeasy
Canada
Joined 3839 days ago

507 posts - 1098 votes 
Studies: German

Message 6 of 7
23 November 2015 at 11:15pm | IP Logged 
Thank you, one and all, for your suggestions.

luhmann
Brazil
Joined 5120 days ago

156 posts - 271 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*
Studies: Mandarin, French, English, Italian, Spanish, Persian, Arabic (classical)

Message 7 of 7
27 November 2015 at 1:42am | IP Logged 
try pdfsam

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version