wwiding
United States
Joined 3158 days ago

2 posts - 3 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 1 of 4
11 November 2015 at 11:20pm | IP Logged 
I've been lurking for a while now, reading the posts I thought would help me in my journey. I've finally decided to join this awesome community of language learners.

I'm learning French at the moment, using assimil as my main resource. I'm currently working on making a side by side translation of the Harry Potter books so I can LR them too. I've read the books in English so many times now that I can usually figure out what's going on in the French books but I'm hoping a side by side will build my passive vocabulary better.

I'm not always sure how much time I'll have to study every day, so rather than making plans to use every French learning resource I could find I plan my day around Assimil New French with Ease. I devote one hour to it, and then if my work/life schedule allows for it I do other things like listen to the Harry Potter novels and play French music on youtube.

1 person has voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4768 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 2 of 4
12 November 2015 at 3:57am | IP Logged 
Welcome!

However, you might like to check out http://forum.language-learners.org/
This is where vast majority of the community has moved during this forum's crash earlier this year. We are still sort of active here and it is still the awesome archive full of treasures from years past, but the real forum life is happening on the new site.
7 persons have voted this message useful

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5021 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 3 of 4
12 November 2015 at 1:52pm | IP Logged 
First, welcome to the forum, wwiding. Seconding Cavesa, most of us moved to the new forum because of the continuing problems here and lack of interest by the administrator. You will get more help and more replies to your queries at the new site Cavesa linked to in her post. While this forum still works, for now, it is a mere shadow of what it used to be.
2 persons have voted this message useful

wwiding
United States
Joined 3158 days ago

2 posts - 3 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 4 of 4
12 November 2015 at 8:35pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the heads up guys, I'm now registered on the other forums.

2 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version