31 messages over 4 pages: 1 24  Next >>
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6394 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 17 of 31
19 November 2015 at 8:40pm | IP Logged 
Try to get in touch via Volte.
1 person has voted this message useful

CitizenJimserac
United States
Joined 3118 days ago

13 posts - 14 votes
Speaks: Russian

Message 18 of 31
19 November 2015 at 8:51pm | IP Logged 
I did. He is kindly searching for a particular file I was looking for, kana.rar in the old www.stultorum.pochta.ru site
which is long gone.

If I can contact Siomotteikiru directly, it would be only to offer my profound thanks. I had tried out most of the
commercial programs like Rosetta Stone and Michael Thomas and Pimsleur and came to the same conclusion, that
while they were of some use, overall they were worthless (to me anyway) and that reading books that one was
interested in and hearing the language and grammar were all the essential ingredients while the commercial
packages were boring the heck out of you with goofy dialogues, situations, animations and other nonsense.

One last thing, for those of us who have hobbies involving Egyptology ..... does anyone know of any sound files for
actually hearing what spoken ancient Egyptian sounds like ? Spoken + text would be great. I haven't tried
searching yet but will report back if I find anything.

And, as my current research is in Aztec herbs, the same goes for Nahuatl, a language, which, I've heard, is
thankfully being restored to use by natives in Mexico, a language of profound cultural and ethno-botanical
importance.

Edited by CitizenJimserac on 19 November 2015 at 8:53pm

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6394 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 19 of 31
19 November 2015 at 10:01pm | IP Logged 
I've only been in touch with siomotteikiru via Volte. She (not he) can probably send your message too :)

I know, this stuff is boring for me too. I wrote this wikia article about learning through native and "semi-native" materials.

For Ancient Egyptian, I only know of Assimil... emk is learning it.

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4853 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 20 of 31
21 November 2015 at 9:19pm | IP Logged 
jeff_lindqvist wrote:
"SHCH" is pronounced something like "SHuhCHuh".

Well, I've never heard it be pronounced like that (except maybe in Nikita Chrushchev?).
It's a soft ш (and for anybody familiar with Mandarin pinyin, Щ matches x, while ш
matches sh - sort of!).

Хрущёв is pronounced as it should be [xru'ɕоf]
2 persons have voted this message useful

CitizenJimserac
United States
Joined 3118 days ago

13 posts - 14 votes
Speaks: Russian

Message 21 of 31
21 November 2015 at 10:03pm | IP Logged 
Ya, throw out my brilliant explanation of "SHCH", that doesn't jive with reality !

семь бед один ответ !!

J.

Edited by CitizenJimserac on 21 November 2015 at 10:04pm

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6706 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 22 of 31
23 November 2015 at 1:02am | IP Logged 
Thanks, Марк! I suspected there was something funny with the average Swede's idea of how to pronounce his name.

lsilvaj
Diglot
Brazil
Joined 3927 days ago

34 posts - 42 votes
Speaks: Portuguese*, English
Studies: German, Italian, French, Russian

Message 23 of 31
02 December 2015 at 4:55pm | IP Logged 
Expugnator wrote:
Vocabulary will be the most difficult issue with Russian. The alphabet is a walk in the park. Try the site Langintro for a start.

I definitely recommend you a "warm-up" resource prior to Assimil. Having been through all the Assimil Russian available, I have to say in all of them the learning curve is too steep. I suggest you Méthode 90 which has even shorter lessons AND/OR Langues pour tous - Russe. No need to bother with English textbooks unless you already own them. They try to teach too much at once while explaining overall grammar to English speakers.

Methode 90 learning curve is steeper than any Assimil Russian course.

For example, by lesson 13 you are supposed to know by heart all the endings for adjectives, demonstratives and possessives in the locative and genitive cases.

Explanations are plainly technical and they use only italics in the grammar section, which in cyrilic alphabet just adds more confusion (and you'll have to look somewhere else to understand it, in the book there's no reference whatsoever).

I think it is a good course, but it's far from easy.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4963 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 24 of 31
02 December 2015 at 5:27pm | IP Logged 
Perhaps the grammar curve is, but the vocabulary one certainly isn't. And you can get grammar from other resources. It was the lack of good resources for learning vocabulary in a friendly way that delayed my Russian learning.

This discussion contains 31 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version