Nicolás
Diglot
United States
Joined 3155 days ago

8 posts - 8 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish

Message 1 of 9
15 September 2015 at 5:16pm | IP Logged 
Hello all. Which language would be good to study after Spanish. To my understanding it depends on ones
material language. In am a native American English speaker. I use Spanish in my daily life, both at work
and home. My first child will be a Spanish speaker before English due to my Peruvian wife and I. Though I
honestly enjoy language and would like to learn another. I think that one would confuse Spanish with
French, though I enjoy listening to French. I also enjoy listening to Andrea Bocelli's Italian and Spanish
singing. I've dabbled with German as it seems to feel natural to me due to the English and German roots.
There are a lot of Russian and Spanish speakers in the state that I live, also.

What do you think?
Thanks. -Nicolás.
1 person has voted this message useful

Nicolás
Diglot
United States
Joined 3155 days ago

8 posts - 8 votes

Message 2 of 9
15 September 2015 at 5:21pm | IP Logged 
Also, what's a good reason to study and learn Portuguese? I have a lot of audio programs for Brazilian
Portuguese.

kyukumber
Japan
Joined 3515 days ago

11 posts - 30 votes

Message 3 of 9
15 September 2015 at 8:37pm | IP Logged 
You should go with what you actually want to learn, rather than try to invent reasons to learn one because of its avilability or an abundance of resources, et cetera. Which language appeals to you most?
3 persons have voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4790 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 4 of 9
15 September 2015 at 10:39pm | IP Logged 
Knowing English and Spanish, you have the rare freedom to choose whatever you want, no matter the reasons. Those two huge languages are certainly enough to get you by quite all over the world. They are both awesome for economic reasons, you use them everyday, lots of fun are available in both.

So, you can choose whatever your heart desires. No more pressure. Sound of which makes your heart beat faster? Which one is native to some of your favourite writers or musicians? Which country have you always wanted to visit?

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5043 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 5 of 9
16 September 2015 at 2:05pm | IP Logged 
I can give you a bunch of good reasons to learn Portuguese, but they are my reasons. I don't usually answer these questions as the answer is within the OP. I don't learn a language just because I can. I learn it because I am interested in the people who speak it and their cultures.

I like to be able to use my languages and not just study them. Travel, music, literature, films and nearby speakers are all good reasons to learn a language. Your knowledge of Spanish and experience in learning a language will help tremendously with Portuguese, although, it is indeed a language in its own right- easy and difficult at the same time. Have a look at this article by a Columbian journalist about learning Portuguese- Eu não falo português written in Spanish. Spanish will also be of great help in French, Italian, Catalan and to some extent in Romanian. The experience gained having learned a language to a high level will be useful in learning other languages. You are not a raw, monolingual beginner anymore. Just ask yourself this- "do I want to learn a language because I can or because I want to use it?".

So, to sum up, you can learn any language but if you aren't passionate about it, I don't believe that you will get very far with it. It will fall by the wayside.

Edited by iguanamon on 16 September 2015 at 2:09pm

Nicolás
Diglot
United States
Joined 3155 days ago

8 posts - 8 votes

Message 6 of 9
16 September 2015 at 3:34pm | IP Logged 
Appreciate all the feedback. All very valid points
here.I've always enjoyed watching German films.   
😊

solocricket
Tetraglot
Groupie
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3457 days ago

68 posts - 106 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, Icelandic, Korean, Polish

Message 7 of 9
19 September 2015 at 8:37pm | IP Logged 
If you love French (that's the one you mentioned first), I'd say go with that one! I
learned French first, then Spanish, and I can tell you I didn't have much of an issue
mixing them up. At the beginning, you might instinctively substituting Spanish into your
French (the opposite happened to me), but this will quickly sort itself out as you
learn more vocabulary. The grammar between the two languages is similar, but the
differences in vocabulary will make it interesting.
2 persons have voted this message useful

haziz
Bilingual Triglot
United States
Joined 3643 days ago

28 posts - 37 votes
Speaks: Arabic (Written), Arabic (Egyptian)*, English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 8 of 9
22 November 2015 at 10:16am | IP Logged 
Another vote for French. A fine third language, and you may be able to interact with native speakers if you are close to Quebec or have some French Canadians in your area. It also sounds like you have been leaning in that direction.

This discussion contains 9 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version