United States
Joined 5277 days ago

173 posts - 235 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Spanish, Norwegian, Mandarin, French

Message 1 of 6
11 September 2015 at 5:23pm | IP Logged 
Hello everyone,

I have studied Japanese for quite some time now. My speaking ability and listening comprehension
are quite a high level. However, my knowledge of kanji is at times embarrassing. I am wondering if
anyone would have any advice for someone in my position to go about improving my kanji and
reading ability? Somethings are really hit or miss. I can read some newspaper articles fine, while
others I struggle with. I would just basically like to improve my reading. Any suggestions?
1 person has voted this message useful

daegga
Tetraglot
Austria
lang-8.com/553301
Joined 4318 days ago

1076 posts - 1792 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Swedish, Norwegian
Studies: Danish, French, Finnish, Icelandic

Message 2 of 6
11 September 2015 at 8:13pm | IP Logged 
Aren't there these mangas with hiragana above the kanji for children? And software that
does this automatically for digital texts?

Speakeasy
Canada
Joined 3849 days ago

507 posts - 1098 votes 
Studies: German

Message 3 of 6
12 September 2015 at 3:29pm | IP Logged 
Please note that I have not studied Japanese. However, Yale University Press publishes two series of highly-regarded works on reading/writing the language.

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4462 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian*, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 4 of 6
12 September 2015 at 8:31pm | IP Logged 
Memrise have various (free) Japanese courses and many of them include both a kanji section and a kana
section.

Kanji Koohi is an SRS-version of Heisig's RTK, but without his stories. Instead you get the
collective wisdom (?) of the internet offering theirs instead.

There are various graded readers available on Amazon.
2 persons have voted this message useful

kyukumber
Japan
Joined 3531 days ago

11 posts - 30 votes

Message 5 of 6
22 September 2015 at 7:36pm | IP Logged 
When it comes to Japanes, you might have better luck with the RTK forum and for specific questions (i.e. grammar points), Reddit and Japanese Stack Exchange as well as WordReference. I'm sure you're already familiar with them. This forum has never had a helpful and insightful native Japanese speaker, as far as I know, and most of the great members who's studied the language to advanced levels (past JLPT N1, B2 equivalent) and contributed to the forum often have moved on, unfortunately.

2 persons have voted this message useful

cathrynm
United States
junglevision.co
Joined 5922 days ago

910 posts - 1232 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Finnish

Message 6 of 6
27 September 2015 at 3:42am | IP Logged 
I'm muddling along with Japanese also. I'm still often baffled by complex sentences in Japanese and have a lot of trouble hearing -- except with Kanji, I just write them. My class, has been doing about 10 a week, and I've doing this non-stop for over 6 years. The names are still crazy though.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version