Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Which latin language is better to learn?

Language Learning Forum : Advice Center Post Reply
44 messages over 6 pages: 1 2 3 46  Next >>
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6357 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 33 of 44
12 September 2015 at 6:28pm | IP Logged 
It's true that I started Spanish to have fun with the resources that aren't available for Italian or European Portuguese :DDD But there's a lot for Italian too.

If you're so torn, it's much better to learn both languages consistently than to keep trying to choose one. The biggest waste of time in language learning is giving up and restarting.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Enrico
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 3505 days ago

162 posts - 207 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: Italian, Spanish, French

Message 34 of 44
12 September 2015 at 7:03pm | IP Logged 
Can't decide between Italian, Spanish and French ((
Maybe I have to go on with switching between Paul Noble, Michel Thomas and Pimsleur for all of them until I
choose the one to go deeply 😐

Mentally, Spaniards, Italians, Brazilians and Portugues are closer to me than French.

When I start learning French it seems to me less logical and more irritating than Spanish and Italian and I
learn ES and IT much more easier but I also interested in knowing French :))

Italian seems to me the closest to French from different comments on this forum so it seems to me that by
learning Italian I can get a good advantage to learn French (at least written).
Spanish seems to me the widest spoken but more of the countries where it is talking are not so interesting for
me, maybe only Spain, islands and U.S.

Italian is also interesting to visit and maybe live as well as Spain, Portugal, U.S. and maybe South of France
:)

It seems that in Spanish are much more useful materials than in Italian :-( on the other hand most of them we
have in English.

Aaaaaa :)))

1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6357 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 35 of 44
12 September 2015 at 7:24pm | IP Logged 
Ignore all those "logical" reasons. Focus on what you want to study, not what you want to know or what would be useful to know.
)))
[btw I've seen a Westerner ask why Russians use so many brackets for no reason and if they work differently in Cyrillics]

Edited by Serpent on 12 September 2015 at 7:31pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Enrico
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 3505 days ago

162 posts - 207 votes 

Message 36 of 44
12 September 2015 at 9:36pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:

It's true that I started Spanish to have fun with the resources

Yes it is interesting to be able to use more learning materials than with English only )) even for language learning
)) It seems that for Spanish speakers there are a lot more materials than for Italian ((

Serpent wrote:
Ignore all those "logical" reasons. Focus on what you want to study, not what you want to
know or what would be useful to know.
)))

Yes, I've tried to rely on intuition - doesn't help a lot ))))
But if ask a question like "Choose one, no thinking" - Italian appears first, maybe now or today )))

I will try to alternate between Paul Noble Spanish and Michel Thomas Italian :-|

Enrico
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 3505 days ago

162 posts - 207 votes 

Message 37 of 44
12 September 2015 at 9:37pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:

It's true that I started Spanish to have fun with the resources

Yes it is interesting to be able to use more learning materials than with English only )) even for language learning
)) It seems that for Spanish speakers there are a lot more materials than for Italian ((

Serpent wrote:
Ignore all those "logical" reasons. Focus on what you want to study, not what you want to
know or what would be useful to know.
)))

Yes, I've tried to rely on intuition - doesn't help a lot ))))
But if ask a question like "Choose one, no thinking" - Italian appears first, maybe now or today only )))

Maybe I will try to alternate between Paul Noble Spanish and Michel Thomas Italian :-|

As you suggested I will try not to repeat parts I already learned earlier.

It's funny but several days ago I already copied to the phone all audio from Michel Thomas, Paul Noble and
Pimsleur for Italian, Spanish and French )))

Edited by Enrico on 12 September 2015 at 9:42pm

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6357 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 38 of 44
13 September 2015 at 4:37am | IP Logged 
I didn't mean the materials for learning other languages via Spanish, just the cool stuff like Destinos, GLOSS, lyricstraining and some native materials like Diego Forlán's book. I did get a textbook for Spaniards learning Italian (which was great for me with my Portuguese background), but I could've done well without it. I also got a small Spanish-Italian dictionary. And I loved the "Spanish vocabulary..." book, as I said.
Did you check liberum center? There are some *great* materials for Italian.

Well you clearly don't like French as much as Spanish or especially Italian. Choosing between the two might be hopeless and demotivating...

Enrico
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 3505 days ago

162 posts - 207 votes 

Message 39 of 44
13 September 2015 at 4:50am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
I didn't mean the materials for learning other languages via Spanish, just the cool stuff like
Destinos, GLOSS, lyricstraining and some native materials like Diego Forlán's book. I did get a textbook for Spaniards
learning Italian (which was great for me with my Portuguese background), but I could've done well without it. I also
got a small Spanish-Italian dictionary. And I loved the "Spanish vocabulary..." book, as I said.
Did you check liberum center? There are some *great* materials for Italian.

Well you clearly don't like French as much as Spanish or especially Italian. Choosing between the two might be
hopeless and demotivating...

I don't like to use learning materials with the exeption of audio podcasts, Assimil, Michel Thomas, Paul Noble and
Pimsleur ) preferably something that can be used on the go on iPod )

I don't like boring materials )

I know how to learn ) I don't know what to focus on )))

Edited by Enrico on 13 September 2015 at 4:51am

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6357 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 40 of 44
13 September 2015 at 8:13am | IP Logged 
They have stuff that is fun even for me ;) I'm very picky too.
You don't have to focus on one Romance language or to make long-term study plans. If I were you I'd just start watching Destinos and do whatever resources you prefer for Italian.

This discussion contains 44 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version