Triglot
Brazil
Joined 4738 days ago

9 posts - 20 votes
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, EnglishC2
Studies: Italian

Message 1 of 7
28 August 2015 at 7:01am | IP Logged 
I'm starting Spanish now and I'm looking for something like the book that I used for
French (Grammaire en Dialogue), which has a dialogue on one page, a grammar topic
explained on the other one and another page with exercises. Preferentially entirely in
Spanish... Even something like the Grammaire Progressive (which introduces less
vocabulary and focus a bit more on grammar) would be ok.
Does anyone know of any book like that?

Assimil is not what I'm looking for because it doesn't have enough exercises, and my
passive knowledge of Spanish is already quite good due to its similarity to Portuguese
and occasional exposure. What I really need is some guidance on the main structures
and on basic vocabulary (so I can create a Spanish "section" in my head and then work
with native material).
FSI is too boring (I'm more of a visual learner) and since the languages are so
similar I don't feel the need to do countless hours of drills on structures that are
very similar to the ones in my native language.

Edited by mst on 28 August 2015 at 7:02am

1 person has voted this message useful

Gala
Diglot
United States
Joined 4331 days ago

229 posts - 421 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish

Message 2 of 7
28 August 2015 at 9:48am | IP Logged 
Living Language Ultimate (there are 2 levels for Spanish: beginner through intermediate,
and advanced) fits your description, except they're not completely in the TL. All
dialogues have an English translation (not side-by-side, but rather after the TL dialogue
... usually on the next pages) and all grammar explanations are in English, although
exemplified by model Spanish phrases or sentences.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4790 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 3 of 7
28 August 2015 at 3:56pm | IP Logged 
The most popular on htlal is an awesome series called Gramática de Uso del Espanol.

Three volumes (A,B,C), good explanations, tons of examples, exercises with a key. Simply great.

There are others as well, such as a series Gramática published by Anaya, and I think I've noticed a series of grammar in dialogues in a bookshop as well. It is a quite fast growing segment of the language resources industry. Leaf through a few in a local bookshop or library, you will surely find something you'll like. But I think you cannot go wrong with Gramática de Uso by Aragonés and Palencia.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Gala
Diglot
United States
Joined 4331 days ago

229 posts - 421 votes 

Message 4 of 7
29 August 2015 at 4:51am | IP Logged 
Is the Gramática de Uso dialogue-based?
1 person has voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4790 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 5 of 7
29 August 2015 at 11:27pm | IP Logged 
It's more like Grammaire Progressive series, which you said would be ok too.

But I found a dialogue based one: Gramática en dialogo, published by enClave ELE
I have no personal experience with this one, so I cannot comment on the quality, but it might be what you're looking for. But the more advanced tome leads only to B1.

James29
Diglot
United States
Joined 5156 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 
Studies: French

Message 6 of 7
30 August 2015 at 1:15am | IP Logged 
I agree... Gramática de Uso del Espanol and/or Living Language Ultimate are exactly what you are looking for. Gramática de Uso del Espanol does not have the dialogues, but is very comprehensive and has tons of exercises and it is entirely monolingual. The Living Language course has good dialogues/audio, but not as much grammar explanation or exercises. You cannot go wrong with either or both of them.    
3 persons have voted this message useful

Gala
Diglot
United States
Joined 4331 days ago

229 posts - 421 votes 

Message 7 of 7
30 August 2015 at 6:02am | IP Logged 
I'm not familiar w/ Grammaire en Dialogue so can't say whether LL Ultimate is comparable
in terms of the amount of grammar explanation or exercises, but it definitely has more
than Assimil... and much more in the way of explanation. It also includes a
vocabulary list at the end of each lesson.

But it still doesn't have a ton of exercises, so the Gramática de Uso would likely be a
good complement to it. I haven't ever seen it, but had been thinking about getting the C
level for awhile (due to all the raves here) and finally ordered it yesterday.

Edited by Gala on 30 August 2015 at 6:05am

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version