Netherlands
Joined 4060 days ago

91 posts - 157 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English, Catalan, French
Studies: Greek, German, Dutch

Message 17 of 48
08 February 2017 at 3:22pm | IP Logged 
mrwarper wrote:
I'm not letting go of this forum unless/until it stops working definitely -- for me the most interesting stuff regarding language learning has already been written here, and, if it ever does, it will take ages for LLF to catch up with the wealth of knowledge we have in the archives, so until that changes I'm bound to be more 'active' here than over at LLF.

A proplem with HTLAL is that the searching capabilities of the forums are very weak. The knowledge might be there, but it is sometimes too hard to find.
1 person has voted this message useful

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5008 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 18 of 48
08 February 2017 at 5:35pm | IP Logged 
Gomorritis wrote:
A proplem with HTLAL is that the searching capabilities of the forums are very weak. The knowledge might be there, but it is sometimes too hard to find.

Right. But since I keep a nearly full backup of HTLAL I can --and do-- much more on it than on the live site. I wish it could be published sometime. That involves FX giving life signs again, or completely dropping HTLAL, though, so don't expect it to happen 'soon'. :(
2 persons have voted this message useful

reineke
United States
https://learnalangua
Joined 6229 days ago

851 posts - 1008 votes 
Studies: German

Message 19 of 48
10 February 2017 at 6:50pm | IP Logged 
I am beginning to think that abandoning this forum
for a new buggy forum was not a good idea. However,
the situation here is less than ideal. I wish
Administrator the best.

Edited by reineke on 10 February 2017 at 10:25pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6485 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 20 of 48
11 February 2017 at 1:24am | IP Logged 
I still check in here to accept new registrations and keep an eye on the messages, but apart from that I have moved all my activities to the new site. It is a very far cry from become the bustling place we had hoped for (and you do sometimes see an error message), but HTLAL has also become an eerily silent place - almost like a museum with pictures on the walls of former aquaintances and lots of things in the archives, which however are difficult to deal with even for those of us who still have an account that allows us to do proper in-site searches.

The main reasons for my decision were 1) I quite honestly thought HTLAL would be dead and gone by now, but it still lingers on, albeit on a very low level, 2) Language-learners may never become as active as HTLAL once was, but it has on average as many new posts in 24 hours as HTLAL now has in a month (28 in January 2017), 3) I can post pictures directly to my new log 'over there' instead of putting them on some other server and linking to them there. A small detail maybe, but important for me.

Maybe the polyglot community has just become tired of language forums - been there, done that ..

Edited by Iversen on 11 February 2017 at 1:24am

8 persons have voted this message useful

reineke
United States
https://learnalangua
Joined 6229 days ago

851 posts - 1008 votes 
Studies: German

Message 21 of 48
11 February 2017 at 6:27pm | IP Logged 
That was well written, Iversen. Poetic even.

Xenops
United States
thexenops.deviantart
Joined 3607 days ago

112 posts - 158 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Japanese

Message 22 of 48
27 February 2017 at 7:43pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:

Maybe the polyglot community has just become tired of language forums - been there, done that ..

This forum also predates a lot of new communities: the Benny Lewis followers, the Wyner followers, Duolingo communities, etc. Probably the community has divided between these groups (probably to their detriment).

runnerbean
United Kingdom
Joined 5933 days ago

9 posts - 9 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French

Message 23 of 48
20 March 2017 at 10:13pm | IP Logged 
I'm guilty of not using this site other than reading the forums and others experiences and so can't complain that the leader has moved on or found other ways to spend his time. I like this site for the laid back and earthy attitude. No frills. No razzmataz. Refreshing. Come back Mr Administrator and show all the newby language forums how to behave and all the new language learners what they are missing. We miss you!

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6485 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 24 of 48
31 March 2017 at 8:34pm | IP Logged 
Well written, rnnerban. But I fear that if the Administrator really returned he would close down the sight inh disgustr over the low activity level rather than try to revive it. And if not, then I doubt that we ever would get back to the golden age situation with thousands of daily visitors and scores of messages.

This discussion contains 48 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version