16 messages over 2 pages: 1 2  Next >>
An
United States
Joined 4640 days ago

10 posts - 20 votes
Speaks: English

Message 1 of 16
20 August 2015 at 6:42am | IP Logged 
It has been nearly 10 years since siomotteikiru/aYa had shared his/her beautiful
thoughts regarding L-R approach here in this forum.

Original L-R Thread
http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?T ID=6366&PN=0&TPN=1

Although L-R was not new to many senior forum members here before that, aYa was very
kind to show her personal approach and to spend a great deal of time answering many of
our questions. As many of you I was instantly drawn to it and had wished that the tool
and materials were more available for learners.

Whether or not I agree with the specifics of the method, I found that there is
something naturally addictive and easy about understanding a narrated story in
parallel texts. When I Listen-Read and understand, I can feel the story...and I WANT
TO FEEL the story/message whenever I am exposed to a new language. I LOVE that
connection.

There had been many wishes and laborious attempts to create this tool. And here after
a long time, I would like to introduce to all the language learners here the
"interactive L-R parallel texts" website where learners can
- read along with highlight of parallel text (auto scrolling)
- hover L1-L2 and L2-L1 dictionary for quick definition
- click and restart from any phrase
- works on Ipad/Iphone with Photon/Puffin apps (flash support app)

Please free-signup and check it out
http://www.languagelovers.net/signup/
http://www.languagelovers.net/fr-en-
alice/

As of now I only have 1 French-English book available with more to come. It is a slow
work-in-progress and it is not perfect. Please let me know what you think.

Thanks, happy parallel-texting and just read

AllenN

P.S Any tool can be used in different creative ways. Use what works for you at
different learning stages.
10 persons have voted this message useful

tommus
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5625 days ago

979 posts - 1688 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Dutch, French, Esperanto, German, Spanish

Message 2 of 16
20 August 2015 at 2:36pm | IP Logged 
Very interesting! I tried it out and it works very well. I have a few comments.

1. I almost didn't go to your sign-up page because you said "works on Ipad/Iphone. I took
that to mean it ONLY works there. But it works in browsers. You should make that
perfectly clear. I used it in a Chromium browser in Linux where it seems to work well.

2. After sign-up, it says that I have one free book. But it is not at all obvious how I get
to that book. I now see that your second link in the post above is a link to that book. I
also found it by looking around the web site. You should make it easier to get to that free
book.

3. There are two modes, from the two buttons. One says Read by a red button/arrow. The
other is just a red button/arrow. The two modes work differently. I was initially reluctant
to press on the Read button because I thought it meant that I was to Read (record). But it
is the best interactive mode to listen, with click for dictionary, pause, etc. However,
that mode does not have the auxiliary dictionary that the plain red button/arrow has. All
the features should be available in a single mode.

4. In the read mode, you can resume by clicking on the French text or the English text.
But if you click on the English text, the reading resumes at the NEXT paragraph.

In general, I was very impressed. Excellent audio. Very fast responses to interactive
controls. Excellent dictionary. Well designed.

Do you plan to have Dutch-English books?

1 person has voted this message useful

An
United States
Joined 4640 days ago

10 posts - 20 votes

Message 3 of 16
20 August 2015 at 10:10pm | IP Logged 
Thank you Tommus for your input:

...."1. I almost didn't go to your sign-up page because you said "works on
Ipad/Iphone. I took that to mean it ONLY works there. But it works in browsers. You
should make that perfectly clear. I used it in a Chromium browser in Linux where it
seems to work well. "

You are right :). It works in all browsers those support flash whether android or iOs.
I'm glad you made that clarification.

...."2. After sign-up, it says that I have one free book. But it is not at all obvious
how I get to that book. I now see that your second link in the post above is a link to
that book. I also found it by looking around the web site. You should make it easier
to get to that free book. "

The book is located at the book menu or here

http://www.languagelovers.net/fr-en-
alice/

.... "3. There are two modes, from the two buttons. One says Read by a red
button/arrow. The other is just a red button/arrow. The two modes work differently. I
was initially reluctant to press on the Read button because I thought it meant that I
was to Read (record). But it is the best interactive mode to listen, with click for
dictionary, pause, etc. However, that mode does not have the auxiliary dictionary that
the plain red button/arrow has. All the features should be available in a single mode.
"

Clarification:
- READ button will start interactive L-R parallel texts (built-in hover dictionary, no
aux dictionary)
- red button/arrow is to play only audio (include abbreviated hover dictionary and aux
dictionary)

..... "4. In the read mode, you can resume by clicking on the French text or the
English text. But if you click on the English text, the reading resumes at the NEXT
paragraph."

- when READing, the L2 is interactive. This means you follow the highlighted reading
in L2 and replay any phrases in L2 by clicking. L1 (right column is for parallel
translation/context only and has no audio)

Yes Tommus, I plan to have other language pairs books as well. I will note your
interest in Dutch-English. I have added you for the complete book access. Please enjoy
and let me know if other thoughts come to mind :) Cheers

tommus
Joined 5625 days ago

979 posts - 1688 votes 

Message 4 of 16
22 August 2015 at 1:28am | IP Logged 
An wrote:
let me know if other thoughts come to mind :)

OK. I have spent some more time on the site. Again, it is quite impressive. As you say, the
interactive books are rather limited at the moment. That is not a problem, but I think it
is very important to put a clear explanation right up front to explain the current status
and functions of the web site. Otherwise, new users will be confused about what it can do.
They will search for books and articles and language pairs that either aren't there yet or
are noy yet complete. They will get a parallel text but will be confused about why they
can't find the audio (which isn't there yet).

The site seems to be set up at the moment as primarily to learn English from several
languages, but not the reverse. For example, Call of the Wild has English plus 6 other
language, but only English is set up as L2 with audio. There is no way to reverse the order
and get the audio for the other 6 languages. I don't find that parallel texts with only L1
audio to be very useful.

Again, I understand the site is under development so that situation is OK. But it needs to
be clearly explained UP FRONT. Otherwise, new users will just get frustrated and not come
back.

There should be a way to select your target language and then get a list of articles/books
in that language which have parallel L2/L1 text, showing which of those also have L2 audio.

Quote:

Clarification:
- READ button will start interactive L-R parallel texts (built-in hover dictionary, no
aux dictionary)
- red button/arrow is to play only audio (include abbreviated hover dictionary and aux
dictionary)

Again, that should be made much clearer on the buttons themselves or in the header for
this part.

It is still very confusing to a new user that, when you sign in, the first thing you are
confronted with is a big interactive panel like this:

MY PAGE
TO RECORD YOUR READING
1) Click RECORD and OK here
2) Open a separate window/tab for reading text
3) When completed click SAVE, DOWNLOAD or
4) EMAIL voice MP3 RECORDING to info@languagelovers.net for feedback

What is this really all about? It certainly needs more explanation.

This feedback is meant to be very constructive because I think you have a potentially very
useful product. But be sure you don't confuse all your new users by having features that
seem like they should work but don't, and there is too much guesswork about how things do
work.

I'm sure this is a whole lot of hard work. But it is looking good.

2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6356 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 5 of 16
22 August 2015 at 1:41am | IP Logged 
Wait, are there parallel texts for pairs other than English-French?

tommus
Joined 5625 days ago

979 posts - 1688 votes 

Message 6 of 16
22 August 2015 at 2:35am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Wait, are there parallel texts for pairs other than English-French?

An gave me "complete book access", I guess because I provided some feedback.
So that gave me access to one more book (Call of the Wild) with English text and audio,
and parallel text in 中国, Deutsch, 日本語, Pу́сский язы́к, Español and 한국어. If those fonts
don't work, they are Mandarin, Japanese, German, Russian, Spanish and Korean.

An wrote:
Yes Tommus, I plan to have other language pairs books as well. I will note your
interest in Dutch-English. I have added you for the complete book access. Please enjoy
and let me know if other thoughts come to mind :) Cheers

An
United States
Joined 4640 days ago

10 posts - 20 votes

Message 7 of 16
22 August 2015 at 6:22am | IP Logged 
Hi Serpent, I hope to have more language pairs books in the very near future. I will
keep you posted. Thanks for your previous inputs

An
United States
Joined 4640 days ago

10 posts - 20 votes

Message 8 of 16
22 August 2015 at 6:58am | IP Logged 
1) "...I think it is very important to put a clear explanation right up front to
explain the current status and functions of the web site. Otherwise, new users will be
confused about what it can do. They will search for books and articles and language
pairs that either aren't there yet or are noy yet complete. They will get a parallel
text but will be confused about why they can't find the audio (which isn't there
yet)."

Great point, corrected. Now after login user will see link: "Site Is Under
Development!…Click Here To Go To Interactive Parallel Text Books(Click READ to play
and red button for audio only)"

2) ...."The site seems to be set up at the moment as primarily to learn English from
several languages, but not the reverse. For example, Call of the Wild has English plus
6 other language, but only English is set up as L2 with audio. There is no way to
reverse the order and get the audio for the other 6 languages. I don't find that
parallel texts with only L1 audio to be very useful."

Correct Tommus, currently L2(the language being acquired) is setup to be on the left
column and is the only interactive part to be clickable-repeat and highlighted read-
along. The other languages had not been prepared for interactive read yet. The other
book you found is for English learners :) and therefore English is their L2.

3) ...."There should be a way to select your target language and then get a list of
articles/books in that language which have parallel L2/L1 text, showing which of those
also have L2 audio."

That feature will be available as our library grows of course. This is the hard part.

4) ...."It is still very confusing to a new user that, when you sign in, the first
thing you are confronted with is a big interactive panel like this: ...."

Very true, the recording is not necessary at this point and therefore removed for now.

5) ...."This feedback is meant to be very constructive because I think you have a
potentially very useful product. But be sure you don't confuse all your new users by
having features that seem like they should work but don't, and there is too much
guesswork about how things do
work."

Thank you for your feedback Tommus. I appreciate them.

6) ..."I'm sure this is a whole lot of hard work. But it is looking good."

:) It was... I think some learners can finally begin to use it now although it will be
work-in-progress for some time.

This discussion contains 16 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version