Trilingual Hexaglot
Netherlands
Joined 6580 days ago

856 posts - 1226 votes 
Speaks: EnglishC2*, Norwegian*, Polish*, Italian, Dutch, French
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin

Message 1 of 4
24 July 2015 at 6:18pm | IP Logged 
By best I mean what have you read that appealed most to you? What genre?

Anyone here a Chinese literature buff?

I'm referring to contemporary books, not classical.

Edited by numerodix on 24 July 2015 at 6:19pm

1 person has voted this message useful

smallwhite
Pentaglot
Australia
Joined 5105 days ago

537 posts - 1045 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin, French, Spanish

Message 2 of 4
25 July 2015 at 6:20am | IP Logged 
Wisely Series

衛斯理 series. My first book was 「老貓」 and I think it's a good starting point and a good preview to the series. It's actually this protagonist, 衛斯理, who inspired me to learn multiple languages. He's an intelligent man highly-skilled in everything like combat and languages, much like James Bond. I grew up reading this series, and thus grew up believing that being multilingual is very handy. Unlike James Bond, 衛斯理 has a wife and is faithful to her. So he uses his languages with colonels and pilots, instead of with hot Russian girls. The series has an extraterrestrial theme, but the major part of each book is adventure, mystery-solving, interaction between 衛斯理 and his friends or other people, and only a small part involves extraterrestrial beings and crafts.

衛斯理 is to Hongkongers (not sure about Chinese people elsewhere) as James Bond, Harry Potter or Sherlock Holmes are to English speakers.

The author, 倪匡, is described as a Hongkonger but he's actually an immigrant and his native language is not Cantonese (he speaks it with a strong accent), so I believe he writes in proper Mandarin Chinese.

6 persons have voted this message useful

audiophile
Groupie
United States
Joined 4913 days ago

44 posts - 81 votes 
Studies: French

Message 3 of 4
02 August 2015 at 5:38pm | IP Logged 
You can start with 王朔, very humorous, Beijing-style Chinese. Also, 海岩‘s TV series are very popular. So if
you watch TV drama, you can also read his novels.

https://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/王朔
http://baike.baidu.com/view/31403.htm
2 persons have voted this message useful

parasitius
Diglot
United States
Joined 5795 days ago

220 posts - 323 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin
Studies: Cantonese, Polish, Spanish, French

Message 4 of 4
30 August 2015 at 7:32am | IP Logged 
I'm a sick individual and I really love 余华 , it was so rewarding to be able to read
his stuff starting from only my 2nd book ever in Chinese, and to encounter specialized
vocab someone strange like me would have randomly memorized in advance, example: 阉割.
The other wonderful thing about having read his book is I realized audiobooks exist
for most of them! Thank means I can go back and double-dip on all the learning, my
familiarity will make the audiobooks that much easier to understand and leverage to
improve my listening.

My first book ever was 三个女人的秘密 , found it really enjoyable because it was so
modern and about being a rich guy. Was very easy to fantasize about being in the
protagonist' role and having all the chicks. I had no idea I could read anything at
length until I picked that book up... was a really exciting realization, after having
had the goal for so long and thought I'd never get there. The main thing I found hard
to understand in it was descriptions of scenery. That was fine though because it has
no impact on the story's progression!!

2 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version