20 messages over 3 pages: 1 2
liammcg
Ireland
Joined 4385 days ago

269 posts - 397 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 17 of 20
01 July 2015 at 1:18pm | IP Logged 
Irish has the oldest vernacular literature of any european language north of the Alps. Old Irish is said to
be very accessible for anyone with good modern Irish. It'll definitely be a Winter project for me this year!

Edited by liammcg on 01 July 2015 at 6:08pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

ScottScheule
Diglot
United States
scheule.blogspot.com
Joined 5009 days ago

645 posts - 1176 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Latin, Hungarian, Biblical Hebrew, Old English, Russian, Swedish, German, Italian, French

Message 18 of 20
01 July 2015 at 5:22pm | IP Logged 
diplomaticus wrote:
Just curiosity. Other than Latin or Ancient Greek, I never really hear of people studying the antecedents to modern languages, really.

Well dead languages are seldom as popular as live ones, for lots of obvious reasons (main one, speaking Latin does not help you pick up Latin girls). But nonetheless many people study antecedents to modern languages: Old Spanish, Old English, Middle English, Old Norse, Old German, Old French, Old Occitan, Byzantine Greek, Koine Greek, Biblical Hebrew (although that's come back to life, in a fashion), Old Church Slavonic. All off the top of my head. All these languages are the antecedents to modern tongues, and have corpora of differing sizes.
3 persons have voted this message useful

diplomaticus
United States
Joined 3746 days ago

23 posts - 31 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: German

Message 19 of 20
01 July 2015 at 11:26pm | IP Logged 
ScottScheule wrote:
diplomaticus wrote:
Just curiosity. Other than Latin or
Ancient Greek, I never really hear of people studying the antecedents to modern
languages, really.

Well dead languages are seldom as popular as live ones, for lots of obvious reasons
(main one, speaking Latin does not help you pick up Latin girls). But nonetheless many
people study antecedents to modern languages: Old Spanish, Old English,
Middle English, Old Norse, Old German, Old French, Old Occitan, Byzantine Greek, Koine
Greek, Biblical Hebrew (although that's come back to life, in a fashion), Old Church
Slavonic. All off the top of my head. All these languages are the antecedents to
modern tongues, and have corpora of differing sizes.

Fair enough. I suppose I just run in less-intellectual crowds than many. I will
confess I had never even heard of Old Occitan or Old Spanish before your post. In
fact, I hardly heard of just regular old Occitan!

Now it makes me wonder why I know so many people who have studied Latin. I guess most
of it is just due to them going to prep schools or private schools that offered it.
Hmm.
1 person has voted this message useful

1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4071 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 20 of 20
02 July 2015 at 12:21am | IP Logged 
It is said in the UK that if you are going to run for Prime Minister, and perhaps for MP
(although not as much as PM), that you should have learnt Ancient Greek and Latin in your
posh public school. So I am not sure if some learn it for interest, but rather just to
"fit in" to the group to which they belong. I suppose that having learnt Ancient Greek
and Latin kind of puts some into a higher social class compared to others, who are in the
lower economic classes (like me?) and never went to those expensive public schools , in
addition to boarding schools (el internado would be equivalent in Spanish and
het internaat en Dutch.

Edited by 1e4e6 on 02 July 2015 at 12:26am

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 20 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version