Tags: TV | Video | French
 Language Learning Forum : Specific Languages Post Reply
10 messages over 2 pages: 1 2  Next >>
1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4087 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 1 of 10
22 June 2015 at 9:13pm | IP Logged 
There have probably been many threads on French TV, but I am looking for a big conjunt
of French TV with long episodes in original version (no dubs, but actually from both
France, Québec, the DOMs, etc.). I saw emk's log about some package for 4€ per
month, but this is actually a bit expensive, considering the free stuff that, for
example, RTVE as well as many Latin American countries like TN Argentina or TeleSur en
Venezuela or RT en español in Russia give for free. I have a subscription to
Atresplayer, which is 2,74€ a month and this is probably the maximum that I would be
willing to go. To add another would be too much.

So I was wondering if there is a big grouping of French programmes from Francophone
television completely free regardless of where you watch it. I tried ARTE's website
and I keep getting meessages like, «:( Erreur: Cette transmission n'est pas disponible
dans votre pays», which is annoying considering that the more interesting ones always
give this message. RTVE has endless stuff that is free and updated everyday, any
equivalent in France or Québec?

Also another caveat is that my connection seems to be unstable. It can range from 100
ms and sometimes peak at 2000 ms, so YouTube stuff is better, or at least anything
that accompanies 144p. That was why I was glad that FRANCE24 added a livestream to
their YouTube channel a few weeks ago--their direct livestream was unbearable for me,
as it stopped every 3 seconds due to lag.

My French has regrettably declined over the years because I do not watch much stuff in
it as Spanish for example. Even a "less common" language like Dutch, is much easier
for me to access because of a free government outlet
Uitzending Gemist. The only sources
that I have used over the years are the FRANCE24 and BFMTV, both of which cut off from
live transmission on a very regular basis, so I have to continually reload the page.
And these are only news, no dramas, or whatever because I cannot get them.
2 persons have voted this message useful

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5329 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 10
23 June 2015 at 11:41am | IP Logged 
1e4e6 wrote:
So I was wondering if there is a big grouping of French programmes from Francophone
television completely free regardless of where you watch it. I tried ARTE's website
and I keep getting meessages like, «:( Erreur: Cette transmission n'est pas disponible
dans votre pays», which is annoying considering that the more interesting ones always
give this message.

This is how it works in France, and I've never seen anyone offering a wide selection of French channels for free. :-( The only ways I know of to get these channels is to either get a box from Francophone TV, or to use a Virtual Private Network (VPN) that makes your computer appear to be in France.

- There are free VPN services that you could use, but they may recycle your personal bandwidth for other users, some of whom may engage in illegal activities. Other free VPNs inject ads into the pages that you browse. Basically, running a video-capable VPN is pretty expensive, and a lot of the people who offer to do it for free seem to have some sort of dubious plan to pay for it.

- There are paid VPN services from a variety of companies, which are in theory likely to cause less mischief because they don't want to alienate paying customers. Some of these probably have plans in your price range.

- Here's a list of French channels available via VPN from VPNVision, a French-only VPN provider.

- Here's a personalized movie guide for French TV from SensCritique.

Anyway, if anybody gets a paid VPN (other than VPNVision) working with French television, please let us know.
4 persons have voted this message useful

AlexTG
Diglot
Australia
Joined 4435 days ago

178 posts - 354 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Latin, German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 3 of 10
23 June 2015 at 12:29pm | IP Logged 
I use UnoTelly. It's a DNS solution. Unlike a VPN, it only changes your IP address on specific sites at specific times, ie just when
they check your IP. This means you don't have to worry about it reducing your connection quality, stealing your data, security issues etc.
The best part is it's not limited to one location, so you can access US only content, French only content, German only content etc. You can
see the websites they un-block here. French sites are very well covered and you'll get access
to lots of other languages as well. Cost is $4usd a month.

(this is perfectly legal, all it's doing is pretending you're in a different place than you actually are)

Edited by AlexTG on 23 June 2015 at 3:38pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

pesahson
Diglot
Poland
Joined 5525 days ago

448 posts - 840 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: French, Portuguese, Norwegian

Message 4 of 10
29 June 2015 at 1:17pm | IP Logged 
1e4e6 wrote:
I tried ARTE's website
give this message.

I get the same message when I want to watch Arte en direct but I checked a minute ago and I can freely watch videos from the +7 section. Maybe it will work for you too.
1 person has voted this message useful

chloem14
United Kingdom
Joined 5487 days ago

21 posts - 23 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, Latin

Message 5 of 10
29 June 2015 at 3:37pm | IP Logged 
emk wrote:

Anyway, if anybody gets a paid VPN (other than VPNVision) working with French television,
please let us know.

Do you just mean using a VPN service to access French replay/on demand on the internet? I use
cyberghost's paid VPN for a couple of pounds a month, and have no trouble accessing Netflix,
ARTE,M6,TVF1, Canalplay etc.

rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5033 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 6 of 10
29 June 2015 at 4:36pm | IP Logged 
Since the original poster was in the UK, you might want to check out purchasing a French Satellite Tv reciever. You could also get a French FreeSat if you have a dish, or buy one off ebay and point it to the coordiantes to get FreeSat from France. This might work outside of the European Geographical area, but I don't know.

If you look around there are a lot of sites which hold this type of information
http://www.dishpointer.com/2008/freesat-self-installation/

EDIT: CAVEAT: I haven't done this personally, although I've spoken to people who claim to have, and I know at one person British Ex-Pat who watched UK TV in France with FreeSat.

Edited by rdearman on 29 June 2015 at 4:39pm

Aquila
Triglot
Netherlands
Joined 5278 days ago

104 posts - 128 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, German
Studies: French

Message 7 of 10
25 July 2015 at 11:24pm | IP Logged 
You can try this one:

http://pluzz.francetv.fr/depuis-l-etranger

VivianJ5
Diglot
United States
Joined 4059 days ago

81 posts - 133 votes 
Speaks: English*, French

Message 8 of 10
26 July 2015 at 12:49am | IP Logged 
emk wrote:
[QUOTE=1e4e6]- Here's a list of French
channels available via VPN
from VPNVision, a French-only VPN provider.

- Here's a personalized movie guide for French TV
from SensCritique.

Anyway, if anybody gets a paid VPN (other than VPNVision) working with French television, please let us know.

I paid for, and regularly use, Private Internet Access VPN. I paid about $40 for a one-year subscription, and did
plenty of research before choosing a VPN. You can choose which country you'd like to be "within" when you
turn the VPN on, and can change with a click.

When I tried to access French TV without the VPN, got the typical "Vous n'etes pas..." and nothing would play.
With the VPN turned on, and France chosen as the access country, can play anything available for free in
France. It's worth the money to me just for this multi-country access.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version