United States
justpaste.it/Mohave1
Joined 3766 days ago

291 posts - 444 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 9 of 12
01 July 2015 at 10:34pm | IP Logged 
Thanks to all for your great suggestions! Sorry to have started this thread and just get back to it. We've
traveled just short of 2,000 miles, and when we arrived, the wifi had been disconnected. I'll be back on line
more frequently once my wifi is up and running - hopefully Monday. I plan to try many of the above
suggestions and will provide feedback as I do so. Thanks again!
1 person has voted this message useful

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4648 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 10 of 12
02 July 2015 at 1:14am | IP Logged 
I just started a two-week trial subscription to Fandor after I saw you listed
it. My first impressions weren't good: most of the Italian shows seemed to be
grindhouse slasher flics with bi-curious vampires and Nazi cannibals.

But I looked deeper, and actually found a couple dozen shows that look interesting. I
actually stayed up way too late last night just watching the trailers and building my
queue.

I haven't liked the international sections of other independent movie channels on
Roku. This one might actually work for me. There aren't any A-list movies; these are
mostly movies from the fringes, and are definitely edgier than anything you find on
Netflix.

2 persons have voted this message useful

Mohave
United States
justpaste.it/Mohave1
Joined 3766 days ago

291 posts - 444 votes 
Studies: French

Message 11 of 12
12 July 2015 at 3:28am | IP Logged 
Thanks all for your recommendations!

A few observations:
1) ARTE is a great recommendation Doitsujin! I tried it both with and without a VPN. Some content is
available without a VPN. (I watched "La Chancelière Perd La Tête" - a dub of a German film without a VPN).
More content is available with a VPN, including a few series that I plan to explore further.

2) AlexTG thanks for the recommendation of SBS. SBS.com.au has a lot of great content available
(many languages) that I need to explore. The SBS app was not available in the U.S. App Store (iOS),
however I was able to stream content without a problem using my VPN with a browser. There appears to be a
big selection!

3)
garyb wrote:
Using a proxy/VPN to access Netflix France is an option, but even with that I didn't think
the selection was amazing. Seemed to emphasise US/UK material over native French, and a lot of the
"premier" French stuff wasn't there presumably due to entertainment laws and uncooperative distributors,
although if you're aiming for massive input and quantity over quality then it's probably enough to keep you
busy for a while.

I agree garyb! I watched Un Village Français while in Belgium last year, and occaisionally watch "Fais Pas
Çi, Fais Pas Ça" and "Les Hommes de l'Hombre" (both of which I enjoyed) using a VPN, but so far haven't
found much else that interests me. I am looking forward to the launch of "Marseille"!

4)
kanewai wrote:
I haven't liked the international sections of other independent movie channels on
Roku. This one might actually work for me. There aren't any A-list movies; these are mostly movies from the
fringes, and are definitely edgier than anything you find on Netflix.

I''m looking forward to starting the trial-subscription after reading this.
Here's a link to French Flick's Recommended Films on
Fandor
. There is also a link for 20% for Fandor from this site should you decide to subscribe.

5) The Best
French Films Streaming on Netflix (US) according to French Flicks

I'll continue to work through the recommendations and give another update!

Thanks again to all!

Edited to correct links.

Edited by Mohave on 12 July 2015 at 3:36am

1 person has voted this message useful

PeterMollenburg
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5235 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 
Studies: FrenchB1

Message 12 of 12
12 July 2015 at 6:24am | IP Logged 
Being an Australian, I use sbs (app) or www.sbs.com.au and i can always find a movie in French (makes me
wonder why i'm considering Netflix + VPN. I also watched a movie last night on YouTube called Le retour de
Martin Guerre (Gérard Depardieu, 1981). Highly recommend it, clear moderate or slow dialogues. You can
find that and a decent amount of other French content w/EN ST's by searching 'French films with English
subtitles' tdebbie2002' is the user name for the list of films i accessed.

PM

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version