kaizen
Groupie
Canada
Joined 4744 days ago

48 posts - 52 votes 
Studies: French

Message 1 of 5
15 June 2015 at 9:39pm | IP Logged 
In French, I've read a few of the "Le Petit Nicolas" series. I like that they're at a level where I can understand most of it, but I still learn new vocab and expressions. I also like that each story is about 3 or 4 pages long, which is a nice size chunk for me to digest. I realize they're probably written for French 10-year-olds, but I find them quite helpful.

So I'm looking for something similar in Spanish, at the same or a slightly lower level. I would prefer something originally in Spanish, but would be willing to consider something that's translated to Spanish if it's suitable. I don't want something like the Harry Potter series, as I find they've got too many weird names and vocab that's not that useful for me.

Thanks for any suggestions
1 person has voted this message useful

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5049 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 2 of 5
15 June 2015 at 9:58pm | IP Logged 
If you'd like to search for yourself, have a look at the America Reads Spanish Essential Guide to Spanish for Children and Young Adults. The pdf guide has a short description of each book in English and recommended age range. America Reads Spanish is a campaign designed to increase the reading of Spanish in US libraries.

I can't really recommend anything to you because I never read children's or young adult novels in Spanish. I started with adult novels.

You might also try the short graded readings series at the Centro Virtual Cervantes Lecturas paso a paso (inicial). They have mouse over monolingual definitions (not too complicated) and are original Spanish.

Edited by iguanamon on 15 June 2015 at 10:01pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

James29
Diglot
United States
Joined 5162 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish

Message 3 of 5
15 June 2015 at 10:22pm | IP Logged 
I can recommend three wonderful series that meet your criteria:

Alex Rider series by Anthony Horowitz (the first five books translated into Spanish).

Theodore Boone series by John Grisham (the first four books translated into Spanish and I'm sure the fifth one will be too).

Cajas de Carton series by Francisco Jimenez. Mexican author. I have only read the first book in the series. The first book is a collection of short stories. It is a fairly easy book to read. The subsequent books in the series might be a bit tougher.

Edit:

Alex Rider is about a 14 year old British spy. Theodore Boone is about a 13 year old American "lawyer." Cajas de Carton is an autobiography about young Mexican boy 7+ years old who moves to California with his family.   

Edited by James29 on 15 June 2015 at 10:24pm

Ogrim
Heptaglot
France
Joined 4426 days ago

991 posts - 1896 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, French, Romansh, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Catalan, Latin, Greek, Romanian

Message 4 of 5
16 June 2015 at 8:41am | IP Logged 
In Spain, the book series about Geronimo Stilton is very popular amongst 8-12 years old kids. The "hero is a rat who works as the editor of a newspaper in "Ratonia", and who experiences many adventures.

The series is originally written in Italian, but it has been a huge success in Spain. There are already 57 books in the series, in addition to some special books outside the series.

kaizen
Groupie
Canada
Joined 4744 days ago

48 posts - 52 votes 

Message 5 of 5
23 June 2015 at 4:16am | IP Logged 
Thanks for the great replies. I'll look into all your suggestions and see which ones I can get my hands on.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version