Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
23 messages over 3 pages: 13  Next >>

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6491 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 9 of 23
15 June 2015 at 9:53am | IP Logged 
I wonder whether those who report problems in their native language experience those problem when they try to say things in it which they know perfectly well to say in some other language - but their own language expresses those things in a different way, for instance because it lacks some crucial term.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
last.fm/user/viadivaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4022 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German, Italian, French, Swedish, Esperanto, Czech, Greek

Message 10 of 23
15 June 2015 at 10:01am | IP Logged 
Iversen, or you just get used to express something in another language and when you have to say it in your native one you get confused.
Tell me about it...
1 person has voted this message useful

Ogrim
Heptaglot
France
Joined 4427 days ago

991 posts - 1896 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, French, Romansh, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Catalan, Latin, Greek, Romanian

Message 11 of 23
15 June 2015 at 10:31am | IP Logged 
I've been living abroad for the last 20 years and in all those years, I have been using English, Spanish and French much more than my native language. However, I would not say that I have noticed a "decline", my Norwegian is still "fluent" and fully functional. However, when I visit Norway I do notice that I am out of date. There are idiomatic expressions, words and phrases that have come into the language over the years which I've missed out on because I wasn't in the country, and I hardly ever see Norwegian TV, and spend less and less time on Norwegian news websites due to their poor quality (as I see it). On the other hand, I use certain words and forms that sound old-fashioned to my younger relatives.

It does happen very occasionally that I hesitate for a second or two as to the right way of expressing something, e.g. what preposition to use in a given context. However, when I see how some of my friends and relatives write on social media, I think I still write a better and more correct Norwegian than most of them. Sorry if that sounds pretentious, but ever since I learned how to read and write I have been very conscious of writing correctly. Today it seems a lot of people really don't care,
4 persons have voted this message useful

Arthaey
Groupie
United States
arthaey.com
Joined 4834 days ago

97 posts - 155 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 12 of 23
15 June 2015 at 5:26pm | IP Logged 
Ogrim wrote:
I've been living abroad for the last 20 years ... I use certain words and forms that sound old-fashioned to my younger relatives.

Do you think this is even more than what naturally happens simply by being 20 years older than "kids these days"? Older folks always sound a little old-fashioned to their younger relatives, even without adding additional languages or living abroad to the mix, right? :)
1 person has voted this message useful

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4677 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 13 of 23
15 June 2015 at 9:43pm | IP Logged 
I've lived in non-English environments twice, once for 2 years and once for six months.
I don't think my English actually declined, but there were times when it took a few
minutes (and sometimes a few days) to switch back to speaking fluently. It's a strange
feeling, yeah?

The worst moment I had was when I was back in the States trying to order a bagel. The
girl at the counter asked me how I wanted it prepared, and I choked. I couldn't think
of any of the words for what you might do to a bagel, and all I did was stare at her
blankly.
2 persons have voted this message useful

chaotic_thought
Diglot
United States
Joined 3330 days ago

129 posts - 274 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Dutch, French

Message 14 of 23
15 June 2015 at 10:49pm | IP Logged 
kanewai wrote:
The worst moment I had was when I was back in the States trying to order a bagel. The
girl at the counter asked me how I wanted it prepared, and I choked. I couldn't think
of any of the words for what you might do to a bagel, and all I did was stare at her
blankly.

I'll take the bagel sunny-side-up. Seriously, what words are normally used to describe how a bagel is prepared??

3 persons have voted this message useful

1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4078 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 15 of 23
15 June 2015 at 11:24pm | IP Logged 
When I was at a sandwich place in Manchester, I asked for jalapeños, and for some
reason that got me all into Spanish mode. You have to go along the queue quite wuickly
and announce your preferred ingredientes for your sandwich. Given that I was already
thinking in Spanish back then, I started saying jalapeños, lechuga, bistéc, tomate,
olivos, until I realised that I must have looked like a crazy fool because the other
customers started staring at me.

Edited by 1e4e6 on 15 June 2015 at 11:45pm

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4677 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 16 of 23
16 June 2015 at 1:06am | IP Logged 
chaotic_thought wrote:
I'll take the bagel sunny-side-up. Seriously, what words are
normally used to describe how a bagel is prepared??

Buttered. Toasted. With cream cheese. Basic things, really, but all I could think was
"I just want a bagel."

This discussion contains 23 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version