TomL
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4088 days ago

3 posts - 6 votes
Speaks: English*, German, French

Message 1 of 3
30 May 2015 at 2:01pm | IP Logged 
I'm moving to Niederösterreich to teach English next September but I've never been to
Austria and I have loads of questions, so here goes!

How prevalent are dialects in the area? Do kids tend to speak them or are they
predominantly used by older generations?

Are there different written conventions for Hochdeutsch in Austria? e.g. in Switzerland I
know people don't use the ß

Could you guys recommend any good Austrian radio shows, podcasts, tv shows or films? The
more I listen, the better I'll understand and if I can understand my pupils then my job
will be a lot easier ;)
1 person has voted this message useful

daegga
Tetraglot
Austria
lang-8.com/553301
Joined 4318 days ago

1076 posts - 1792 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Swedish, Norwegian
Studies: Danish, French, Finnish, Icelandic

Message 2 of 3
30 May 2015 at 4:02pm | IP Logged 
Where in Niederösterreich?

Generally everybody uses dialect all the time, in every situation. The situation in school might be different, but it depends a bit on where exactly you are and what the policy of the school is.
People will normalize their speech if they feel that you struggle, but it will usually not be 100% Standard German, you'll need to get used to the local peculiarities.

No different conventions for written texts. Slight difference in grammar: "am" can both mean "an dem" and "auf dem". But that's the only thing that comes to mind right now. There is some special Austrian vocabulary, but that's mostly about food. Well, legal talk is also different from Germany.

Check out http://tvthek.orf.at for TV and http://radio.orf.at for radio streams. If some shows aren't available in your region, you can use the Hola plugin for your browser to get access. I use this whenever I'm in Germany and want to stream formula1 etc. from ORF, this usually works very well.

By the way, Austrians love their titles, we have loads of different titles. So if you have an academic degree, make sure to subtly inform the people around you about it. Who seems to be an educated foreigner will usually be treated better than who seems to be an uneducated immigrant. Not necessary intentionally, but it might make a difference, especially if you have a foreign accent. More important in the cities than in rural areas though.

Edited by daegga on 30 May 2015 at 4:06pm

8 persons have voted this message useful

William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6069 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, French

Message 3 of 3
20 October 2015 at 3:46pm | IP Logged 
I would say dialects are much more in use in Austria than in Germany, although my
experience of Germany is mostly very urban parts of North Rhine-Westphalia.

1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version