Australia
Joined 4498 days ago

5 posts - 7 votes
Speaks: English*, Tetum
Studies: Indonesian, Portuguese

Message 1 of 10
26 May 2015 at 6:54pm | IP Logged 
Hi guys

My name is James and I'm a student of Linguistics in Australia. I am currently living
in Indonesia and have been studying an immersion programme here in a city called
Yogyakarta since February. I am either leaving next month or may stay for another 6 if
I can get my home university to approve it.

I speak Tetun from Timor-Leste quite well after living there for quite some time and
actively taking an interest in the study of it, as well as speaking it in all aspects
of my daily life while living in places with no other English speakers. I really like
speaking Tetun and it comes easily to me although I still have a fair way to go in
fleshing out certain areas of my vocabulary.

I have an interest in Portuguese because I think it's damn beautiful and because
there's so much of it in Tetun. I can understand written Portuguese at a basic level
and continue to work on it with a combination of programs. I lived with some
Portuguese speakers in Timor-Leste for a while and there is a family connection to
Portugal.

Hoping to maintain my inspiration and motivation to improve upon Indonesian and
Portuguese with other speakers here and surprised at the breadth of languages that
people have an interest in! How great. It's a pleasure.

Look forward to reading your posts!

Cheers,

James
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6378 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 2 of 10
26 May 2015 at 7:31pm | IP Logged 
I've always been fascinated by the use of Indonesian and Portuguese in Timor-Leste :) I've read some legends from there in Portuguese and it was interesting.

Welcome!

Monox D. I-Fly
Indonesia
monoxdifly.iopc.us
Joined 4916 days ago

762 posts - 664 votes 
Speaks: Indonesian*

Message 3 of 10
26 May 2015 at 7:50pm | IP Logged 
Hai, saya orang kelahiran Indonesia. Semoga saya bisa membantu dan sebagai gantinya, saya ingin belajar bahasa Tetum.

Hi, I am a native Indonesian. Hope I can help and as the payback, I want to learn Tetum.
2 persons have voted this message useful

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5043 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 4 of 10
26 May 2015 at 9:54pm | IP Logged 
Welcome to the forum, James. I can help with Portuguese links. I downloaded the Peace Corps Tetum Course a few years ago and was surprised at the amount of Portuguese borrowings- probably analogous to the Spanish-Tagalog situation. Ultimately, I decided against learning it because of the unlikely possibility of my traveling there and the usual lack of media and access to native speakers that comes with minority languages. I felt learning it, for me, would be doing it just because I could.

Yeah, it's a natural segue from Tetum to both Indonesian and Portuguese. As you know, there is a small immigrant Portuguese-speaking community in Australia. Portuguese can be your entry point to the Romance languages, especially Spanish. Again, welcome to the forum, anything I can do to help, please let me know.
2 persons have voted this message useful

fiska
Diglot
Australia
Joined 4498 days ago

5 posts - 7 votes

Message 5 of 10
27 May 2015 at 6:06am | IP Logged 
Monox D. I-Fly wrote:
Hai, saya orang kelahiran Indonesia. Semoga saya bisa membantu
dan sebagai gantinya, saya ingin belajar bahasa Tetum.

Hi, I am a native Indonesian. Hope I can help and as the payback, I want to learn
Tetum.

Hai, Salam kenal Monox.

Makasih untuk tawaranmu, iya kalau kamu tertarik belajar bahasa Tetun saya bisa
berbagi berberapa sumber belajar bahasa Tetun dengan kamu. Asli dari mana di
Indonesia?

iguanamon wrote:
Welcome to the forum, James. I can help with Portuguese links. I
downloaded the Peace Corps Tetum Course a few years ago and was surprised at the
amount of Portuguese borrowings- probably analogous to the Spanish-Tagalog situation.
Ultimately, I decided against learning it because of the unlikely possibility of my
traveling there and the usual lack of media and access to native speakers that comes
with minority languages. I felt learning it, for me, would be doing it just
because I could.

Yeah, it's a natural segue from Tetum to both Indonesian and Portuguese. As you know,
there is a small immigrant Portuguese-speaking community in Australia. Portuguese can
be your entry point to the Romance languages, especially Spanish. Again, welcome to
the forum, anything I can do to help, please let me know.

Thanks for your suggestion! Yes I always seem to stumble upon a couple of brasileiros
wherever I am in Australia so I'm hoping that when I return I'll be able to wise-up on
my Portuguese. I am using just Duolingo at the moment but conversationally I have a
lot of a hard time and seem to fall into Tetun too easily haha. I am keen to pick up
Portuguese.

Yes, Tetun interests a lot of people because of the circumstances of the language and
the Portuguese influence! It is difficult to study in isolation as a result of the
lack of resources, media etc. (slowly this is being rectified though!)

Thanks for all your kind responses.

Monox D. I-Fly
Indonesia
monoxdifly.iopc.us
Joined 4916 days ago

762 posts - 664 votes 
Speaks: Indonesian*

Message 6 of 10
27 May 2015 at 12:50pm | IP Logged 
fiska wrote:
Hai, Salam kenal Monox.

Indonesia?

Saya asli Solo, itu salah satu kota terkenal di Jawa Tengah. Apa saja kesamaan bahasa Tetun dengan bahasa Indonesia? Ngomong-ngomong soal bahasa Tetun yang katanya banyak dipengaruhi bahasa Portugis, saya jadi ingat bahasa Portugis dari "selamat pagi", yaitu "bom dia". Tahukah kamu apa arti "bom dia" dalam bahasa Indonesia?

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4947 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 7 of 10
27 May 2015 at 10:36pm | IP Logged 
Welcome to the forum, James!

As a Brazilian I find Tetun very interesting, I definitely plan to learn a bit of it after I start learning Indonesian.

fiska
Diglot
Australia
Joined 4498 days ago

5 posts - 7 votes

Message 8 of 10
28 May 2015 at 5:55pm | IP Logged 
Tetun is a fun language to speak. I caught up with my brazilian friend for dinner this
evening and we usually swap between Portuguese and Bahasa. Sometimes it's easier for
me to understand Brazilian Portuguese, sometimes it's quite hard with unexpected
differences in pronunciation!

Regardless though, whenever I lack a word in bahasa (and chatting to one of my
brazillian classmates) I'll generally have it in Tetun, and a good amount of the time
it's a Portuguese loan word. Helps me a lot!

There are now a growing amount of resources published in English, Portuguese and
Indonesian for the study of Tetun.

Monox D. I-Fly wrote:
fiska wrote:
Hai, Salam kenal Monox.

Indonesia?

Saya asli Solo, itu salah satu kota terkenal di Jawa Tengah. Apa saja kesamaan bahasa
Tetun dengan bahasa Indonesia? Ngomong-ngomong soal bahasa Tetun yang katanya banyak
dipengaruhi bahasa Portugis, saya jadi ingat bahasa Portugis dari "selamat pagi",
yaitu "bom dia". Tahukah kamu apa arti "bom dia" dalam bahasa Indonesia?

Iya, saya sudah pernah ke Solo hehe, kalau dari Jogja itu satu jam saja naik kareta
api. Ada berberapa kesamaan dengan bahasa Tetun dan bahasa Indonesia -

bele - boleh
tulun - tolong
tilun - telinga
maske - meskipun
matan - mata
derok - jeruk
ita - kita
ami - kami
imi - kimi
kareta (artinya mobil) - kareta
atus - ratus

ida, rua, tolu, ha'at, lima, ne'en, hitu, walu, sia, sanulu (1 - 10)

Ada banyak contoh lain seperti kata-katanya dan tata bahasa tetapi Tetun masih jauh
dari bahasa Indonesia haha. Bom dia di bahasa Indonesia itu seperti tentang kentut
ko?? haha.

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version