Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5338 days ago

235 posts - 453 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Dutch, Norwegian, Japanese

Message 17 of 18
13 August 2015 at 4:49pm | IP Logged 
Right, the pushing of Afrikaans and English as languages of instruction over various other languages
had been voluntary and supported by the people who were actually affected (or if they had even been
the ones who made the decisions) then I would feel very differently. It's, as you said, the means that I
have the most problems with (actually I have a problem with the reasoning behind it as well). Let's not
forget these language policies were running side and were intertwined with a genocide.

To be clear I feel the same about the forced usage English during the colonization of North America.
Most, if not all, Native American languages fared far worse than the languages that are spoken in
South Africa and the last residential school for First Nations people in Canada closed in 1996.
1 person has voted this message useful

ScottScheule
Diglot
United States
scheule.blogspot.com
Joined 5025 days ago

645 posts - 1176 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Latin, Hungarian, Biblical Hebrew, Old English, Russian, Swedish, German, Italian, French

Message 18 of 18
13 August 2015 at 7:45pm | IP Logged 
Quite right.
1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 18 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version