Triglot
ScotlandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5002 days ago

1468 posts - 2413 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 9 of 10
26 May 2015 at 10:37am | IP Logged 
Yep, my post was concerning active skills, since for me that's the hardest and the most important part; I'm also someone who'd rather speak sooner than later. The related language bonus for passive skills is indeed great and is not to be ignored! The cognate bonus takes you a lot of the way, and then studying the basics quickly fills in gaps.

Again, going from "quite good" comprehension to "very good" is what takes the most time and effort, but the usefulness of "quite good" is not to be underestimated especially when it takes a relatively low investment. My most useful real-world language skill is being able to understand Spanish conversations, and I got there with the related language bonus plus a couple of months of study plus exposure through my social life that would have happened anyway.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Mork the Fiddle
United States
Joined 3764 days ago

86 posts - 159 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Norwegian, Latin, Ancient Greek

Message 10 of 10
26 May 2015 at 7:47pm | IP Logged 
Merely becoming aware of the subjunctive mood in Spanish gave me the biggest leg up going from Spanish to French.

Knowing the Spanish can also help with noun endings that are ambiguous in French in regards to gender. The gender of oreille ("ear") in French is not obvious from the ending, but the ending of oreja in Spanish is clearly feminine. As is oreille.*

*It being understood that the -a/-o noun endings in Spanish are not 100% sure guides to gender. Planeta is masculine, mano is feminine, etc.
1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version