11 messages over 2 pages: 1
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6399 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 9 of 11
15 May 2015 at 10:53pm | IP Logged 
Try subs2srs if you want to understand movies. I don't think I would understand a movie at my current level, despite having studied Danish for years (never as my only or main language, though). The first steps I recommend are to learn the basics of the pronunciation, listen to songs, watch cartoons. Try audiobooks as well. I also find that it's impossible to do 100% listening in Danish and ignore reading. It has worked for me before, but not in Danish.
3 persons have voted this message useful

daegga
Tetraglot
Austria
lang-8.com/553301
Joined 4323 days ago

1076 posts - 1792 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Swedish, Norwegian
Studies: Danish, French, Finnish, Icelandic

Message 10 of 11
16 May 2015 at 12:16am | IP Logged 
crazyleseratte wrote:
daegga, you are right that I do understand almost everything in my textbook, but when it comes to understanding audio, I am lost. Since understanding movies is my main goal this is quite frustrating. Today I watched some kind of reality show with subtitles; I could understand the gist of it, but without subtitles I am totally lost, since the
pronunciation is really different from the written word.

I do also have TY Danish, but I put it aside in the middle of the course, and started
over with Langenscheidt (which is my preferred learning system, because of all those
really long vocabulary lists. I am not a fan of TY, actually; even though I have some of those too.)

I misinterpreted your post then, my reply is irrelevant in that case ;)

My goal has been the same for Danish as yours, and the ugly truth is that you need to spend a lot of time on it to get good at listening comprehension. Movies are the hardest kind of listening comprehension exercise in Danish, it's the big final goal that will take a long time to reach. Fortunately there is other interesting audio material that you can use along the way ... a lot of it.
I hope this isn't discouraging, but you find a self-quote about my activities in my first intensive year of Danish below. I did a few months of a beginner course and have listened to an audio book before that year started. I was also practically reading Danish fluently before I even started studying it thanks to previous studies in Norwegian. So these numbers are more like lower bounds.

daegga wrote:
all things must come to an end - TAC 2013 final report

I'll make this short. My main focus this year was Danish. I did some stuff for
Norwegian to keep it alive, but there is no change of abilities to report there.
But let me quote my estimate of work for Danish:
daegga wrote:
Just did a rough calculation of my Danish stats for this TAC season:
I watched about 140 hours of TV series.
I listened to about 185 hours of audio books.
I watched several hours of movies (between 5 and 10 hours I think)
I participated in about 25 hours of classes.
I went through Assimil.
I've done less than 10 hours of Anki reps.
I've read blogs, board entries and news for countless hours

I don't think I've ever stated a clear goal, but my main interest in Danish is to watch movies with relative ease. My listening comprehension of Danish is about at the level of my listening comprehension of Norwegian now, maybe even better when it comes to watching TV. It doesn't feel quite as easy as I'd like it to I have to confess, but I'm at the point where I can watch pretty much anything with headphones on and understand it. Not 100%, but more than enough. Last year, it was next to impossible to watch a movie without subtitles, now I don't need them anymore. Mission accomplished. See you next year!

For more details you could read my log (warning: it's rather boring), but I don't suggest you follow my steps because of the reasons explained above:
http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?T ID=34585

Edited by daegga on 16 May 2015 at 12:20am

1 person has voted this message useful

crazyleseratte
Pentaglot
Germany
crazyleseratte.wordpRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3764 days ago

26 posts - 33 votes
Speaks: English, German*, Spanish, French, Italian
Studies: Dutch, Danish, Mandarin, Japanese, Russian

Message 11 of 11
16 May 2015 at 2:11pm | IP Logged 
daegga wrote:
crazyleseratte wrote:
daegga, you are right that I do understand
almost everything in my textbook, but when it comes to understanding audio, I am lost.
Since understanding movies is my main goal this is quite frustrating. Today I watched
some kind of reality show with subtitles; I could understand the gist of it, but
without subtitles I am totally lost, since the
pronunciation is really different from the written word.

I do also have TY Danish, but I put it aside in the middle of the course, and started
over with Langenscheidt (which is my preferred learning system, because of all those
really long vocabulary lists. I am not a fan of TY, actually; even though I have some
of those too.)

I misinterpreted your post then, my reply is irrelevant in that case ;)

My goal has been the same for Danish as yours, and the ugly truth is that you need to
spend a lot of time on it to get good at listening comprehension. Movies are the
hardest kind of listening comprehension exercise in Danish, it's the big final goal
that will take a long time to reach. Fortunately there is other interesting audio
material that you can use along the way ... a lot of it.
I hope this isn't discouraging, but you find a self-quote about my activities in my
first intensive year of Danish below. I did a few months of a beginner course and have
listened to an audio book before that year started. I was also practically reading
Danish fluently before I even started studying it thanks to previous studies in
Norwegian. So these numbers are more like lower bounds.
(....)
For more details you could read my log (warning: it's rather boring), but I don't
suggest you follow my steps because of the reasons explained above:
http://how-
to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?T ID=34585

Rereading my post made me realize that it wasn't very clear.

Earlier today, I listened to an audiobook, of a book that I already know in English,
and I could at least understand some words and phrases without reading along. I also
watched a TV program for kids, which i could also follow without subtitles. I hope
that I will manage movies in the future.
In the meantime, I will definitely read your log, thanks.

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version