United States
thelinguistblogger.w
Joined 6034 days ago

198 posts - 299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: German, Arabic (classical)

Message 1 of 9
07 May 2015 at 3:55pm | IP Logged 
Hello again everyone. It's been a while since I posted. I'm collaborating with an academic friend of mine to study
how people use languages at work. I would like to invite EVERYONE on this forum to participate in our survey.

Here is
a link to the survey.

Here is a link to a video that I made. It explains a
little more about the study and what we are trying to accomplish.

The more of you who participate, the better this study will be and the more we will understand about how
languages are actually used at work.
1 person has voted this message useful

portunhol
Triglot
United States
thelinguistblogger.w
Joined 6034 days ago

198 posts - 299 votes 

Message 2 of 9
08 May 2015 at 10:08pm | IP Logged 
For those who may be interested, I wrote a new post on my
blog
with a little more information about this study. I hope you enjoy it.

Don'
t forget to take the survey!

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6379 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 3 of 9
10 May 2015 at 5:07am | IP Logged 
Done. This must've been one of the last times I listed my age range as 18-24 :)

I listed Finland because I love and breathe the country and visit it as much as possible - 20 times so far, although technically the total has been under a year. As you can see it's been enough to gain C1/C2 level skills.

maydayayday
Pentaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5001 days ago

564 posts - 839 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Italian, SpanishB2, FrenchB2
Studies: Arabic (Egyptian), Russian, Swedish, Turkish, Polish, Persian, Vietnamese
Studies: Urdu

Message 4 of 9
10 May 2015 at 8:57pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Done. This must've been one of the last times I listed my age range as 18-24 :)

I listed Finland because I love and breathe the country and visit it as much as possible - 20 times so far, although technically the total has been under a year. As you can see it's been enough to gain C1/C2 level skills.

Eek! I've been 24 for nearly 30 years!

2 persons have voted this message useful

portunhol
Triglot
United States
thelinguistblogger.w
Joined 6034 days ago

198 posts - 299 votes 

Message 5 of 9
12 May 2015 at 5:49pm | IP Logged 
Maydayayday and Serpent: Thanks for filling out the survey.

One of the issues with understanding polyglots is that, in most respects, they're just regular people. This is a
wonderful website that allows us all to connect and do research like this (formal or informal). Thanks for being
part of it!

I hope more people follow your lead. Any ideas for getting the word out to more bilingual and multilingual
folk?

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6691 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 6 of 9
12 May 2015 at 10:55pm | IP Logged 
By the way, I've also filled out the survey.

If you use that thing called Facebook, you could post the link to the survey there. Maybe there is, say, a polyglot group. I know that Polyglot Gathering has a page there.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6379 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 7 of 9
12 May 2015 at 11:23pm | IP Logged 
Also, not everyone likes watching videos online (especially non-native speakers of English, even the most fluent of us). And your blog post is long. Write a really short introduction for those who want to know what kind of questions they have to answer.

My impressions: most questions are quick and simple, but you're expected to write some 100 words in a couple of the responses. There's no option not to list what your income is/was during the job you're describing. It's also assumed that if you're under 18, you don't have any significant and legal work experience (which may be true in the US but not elsewhere). You're also supposed to speak of a full-time job (I ignored that because I've never had one and my part-time job was serious enough). You also need to rate your satisfaction level with the work you described. And you get to think a bit about your strengths as an employee.

I hope this didn't discourage anyone (other than those who are 100% ineligible). Let me stress again that the survey was fun and the questions were very clear. Even the dreaded ones about the languages and levels were very straight-forward, and you can choose from a big list of languages (including Esperanto which is mentioned twice ;))

Edited by Serpent on 12 May 2015 at 11:25pm

portunhol
Triglot
United States
thelinguistblogger.w
Joined 6034 days ago

198 posts - 299 votes 

Message 8 of 9
26 January 2017 at 12:46am | IP Logged 
Hello everyone. First off, I want to thank the 100 people who participated in this survey so long ago. I also want to
explain why it is that I have not posted any new information regarding its results.

About two years ago, my wife was going to give birth to our first, biological child (we have two foster children). I knew
this would be a distraction from the project but I didn’t think it would derail me the way it did. My wife and our baby
boy almost died during the delivery. I wish that were the end of the story, but it is not.

Our son was born with an uncommon genetic condition called Edwards Syndrome (or Trisomy 18). It is a little like
Downs Syndrome (Trisomy 21) but deadlier. We have been in and out of hospitals since his birth. The longest we were
inpatient was for seven months.

After multiple surgeries our son is in a much more stable condition and home (most of the time). He is a happy child,
whom I have spoken Spanish to since he was in the womb (we live in the USA).

Now that life has settled down again I want to give this survey another go. If you are new to the discussion please
watch this short video, which describes my study on
multilinguals at work. If you haven’t already,
4gAprs7nHe2g/viewform">participate in this survey and forward it to any and everyone you know who speaks
more than one language.

This discussion contains 9 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version