United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5038 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 1 of 3
22 April 2015 at 6:39pm | IP Logged 
I don't know if anyone is finding it difficult to gather materials in your native language for reading, either for the Super Challenge or just general reading. But here is a good tip for you.

Wikipedia will generate a book for you! This is a fairly straightforward thing to do. First if you know a subject you'd be interested in reading about, for example, I'm interested in Ancient & Napoleonic battles. So here is the method I used to generate a book specifically for myself in Italian.

1) Google for a list of ancient battles. This gave me the names of 100+ battles on one web page alone!
2) Go to http://www.wikipedia.org/ and do a search for one of these battles.
3) On the left side you can see the option for "Create a book" in the menu. Change to your target language and locate this menu option. In Italian it changes to "Crea un libro" for example. Click this, you'll be asked to confirm you want to create a book.
4) There should be an option at the top of every page you look at from that point forward to add this page to your book. Click this and presto, the topic is added to your book. It even gives an option to suggest similar topics to include in your book. Generally these are really good suggestions.
5) Continue until you have enough interesting content. Adding a topic at a time. For example I added; Battle of Marathon, Battaglia di Salamina, Battaglia di Capo Artemisio, and lots of others.
6) Now click on "show my book", which takes you to Book Manager page. Here you can give your book a title & sub-title, papersize, Table-Of-Contents, etc. You have to option do download the book as a PDF, or even to have it printed and posted to your home!

There you are; a very simple and effective way to generate a lot of great content, in your target language on a subject you are personally interested in.

Hope this is helpful!

21 persons have voted this message useful

nikolic993
Diglot
Yugoslavia
Joined 3582 days ago

106 posts - 205 votes 
Speaks: Serbian*, English
Studies: Italian, Mandarin, Romanian, Persian

Message 2 of 3
22 April 2015 at 8:11pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for sharing this!

Is there a way to edit out all the inessential text?
2 persons have voted this message useful

rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5038 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 3 of 3
22 April 2015 at 8:31pm | IP Logged 
nikolic993 wrote:
Thanks for sharing this!

Is there a way to edit out all the inessential text?

I don't think so. It is basically loading the page into a a PDF, however it does move all the reference notes for all pages to the bottom of the PDF file. So if you have something like PDFTK (PDF ToolKit) you can strip off these last few pages to remove the references. You can find a free PDF editor for most operating systems. Also if you say no to the table-of-contents it will lose a few more pages. So in my example I can strip off 8 pages of the TOC from the top and 11 pages of references at the bottom.

4 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version