shachak
Albania
Joined 3927 days ago

4 posts - 4 votes
Speaks: English

Message 1 of 3
20 April 2015 at 4:57pm | IP Logged 
Hello,
Go down to the summary if you would like to get straight to the point without any long and strenuous
anecdotes.

I find it hard to find well written articles in English even though it is the language I use the most, though not
my native language. Similarly, when I learned French, I had and still have nothing to read outside of books
(which are not bad). Articles are shorter than books and thus sometimes preferable. As a matter of fact now
when I speak French fluently, I read books (now I read Jules Verne) to enrich my vocabulary. Additionally I
started learning Japanese, but regrettably quit. As I plan to resume my studies I need articles before I can
get to books, and I have some simple ones that would occupy me for months and take me several levels
higher. After reaching intermediate/advanced level of learning one needs to use the language actively and I
have no idea what to do. I do not know how to search for written content that would be of certain interest to
me in my target language and here I need your help.

Being 17 and with odd interests I find most contemporary stories boring, subjects such as reality, politics or
news. Topics I am interested in, include, but not limited to, science, history, cultures, literature and
linguistics. I would read on about any subject if the article is good because I seek to expand my knowledge.
For example, I would read an article about Japan’s involvement in the Middle East, but not things like
Hollywood star x did y in his villa.

SO TO SUM UP (OR IF YOU DON'T WANR TO READ EVERYTHING): I would like to receive suggestions
about finding articles or archives where I can find said articles over the internet. I would happily try any site
suggested by you in Japanese, French and English(and maybe in more languages I might learn in the
future), and nearly on every topic. I would also like to know how you go about finding such articles in a new
language you are studying. What do you write in your search engine to find articles of interest in you level(or
at any level) at whatever target language you are learning? Your help is much appreciated.
1 person has voted this message useful

smallwhite
Pentaglot
Australia
Joined 5090 days ago

537 posts - 1045 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin, French, Spanish

Message 2 of 3
20 April 2015 at 5:30pm | IP Logged 
I read Wikipedia, and follow the links inside and underneath the article.

I love the Environnement section of Yahoo News, which is a mixture of science, nature, and daily life.

I also like Actu Insolite which are "news" about all sorts of interesting little things, often about animals, and sometimes really touching.

Some of those sites come in different languages.

shachak wrote:
What do you write in your search engine to find articles of interest in you level(or at any level) at whatever target language you are learning?

I type the word in my target language. Say, if I want to read about "environment" in French, I look up the word in French, which turns out to be "environnement", and I type "environnement" into the search box.
2 persons have voted this message useful

shachak
Albania
Joined 3927 days ago

4 posts - 4 votes
Speaks: English

Message 3 of 3
20 April 2015 at 5:40pm | IP Logged 
Thanks a lot for you quick reply I will check them as soon as possible

Edited by shachak on 20 April 2015 at 5:41pm

1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version