Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Going or not to the Polyglot Conference?

Language Learning Forum : Cultural Experiences in Foreign Languages Post Reply
16 messages over 2 pages: 1
chokofingrz
Pentaglot
England
Joined 4971 days ago

241 posts - 430 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Catalan, Luxembourgish

Message 9 of 16
22 April 2015 at 2:25pm | IP Logged 
Well, I'm still going even though my "preparations" have been laughable - unless you count watching a few foreign films and TV. A week to go, maybe iTalki is the place to go for a kick up the ass. Anyway, a lot of the talks at the conference look really interesting so I'll get something out of it even if my aligatori is a bit toothless.
1 person has voted this message useful

meramarina
Diglot
United States
Joined 5749 days ago

1341 posts - 2303 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Italian, French
Personal Language Map

Message 10 of 16
22 April 2015 at 11:56pm | IP Logged 
I plan to be there too, and have been studying, but I think I'll just have to accept that my brain will not be at its
best. It's a long trip and I'll be badly jetlagged, i'm sure. I think it will be wonderful but overwhelming, too. So,
while I review and forget everything I know about languages, I remind myself that everyone there with be
struggling with a language, or a few languages--that's why we are going! Looking forward to meeting
everybody!

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6691 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 11 of 16
23 April 2015 at 11:27pm | IP Logged 
Don't worry - I went last year with close to no preparations at all (possibly because I didn't know what to expect). Then I found people with native-like proficiency (and accent) in half a dozen languages. Annoyingly inspiring!

Listen to the talks, challenge yourselves by listening to a talk or two in a weak(er) target language, chat with people who have your target language(s) on their name badge.

I spoke some of my languages more than ever before and they're not even included among those I "speak" (according to my profile!). Both of you (chokofingrz and MeraMarina) have a lot of big languages - that's great! People come because they share the passion for languages, not because they're superfluent interpreters/translators/accent coaches/whatever.

I'm sure you will have a great time, and I'm looking forward to meeting you!

Edited by jeff_lindqvist on 06 May 2015 at 1:55am

2 persons have voted this message useful

meramarina
Diglot
United States
Joined 5749 days ago

1341 posts - 2303 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Italian, French
Personal Language Map

Message 12 of 16
24 April 2015 at 4:01am | IP Logged 
Well said, Jeff! I'm ready to be amazed and inspired!

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6485 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 13 of 16
24 April 2015 at 12:26pm | IP Logged 
The idea about a meetup for HTLAL members and followers is quite interesting, but there is one complication. Sometimes people will freely tell you their HTLAL name, but I'm fairly sure that some of those I have spoken to had an HTLAL identity which they just decided not to reveal - or maybe they just didn't think it was important or interesting. But it is.

To quiquixx1: concerning the burn-out syndrome I think the best strategy would be to go and then see whether the chance to using your languages in a very different setting wouldn't cure it. If you are unsure about your level then decide in Berlin which of your languages are strong enough to be used and stick to those - but the polyglot crowd is reasonably forgiving about errors. We know what it is to be a learner.

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4315 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 14 of 16
24 April 2015 at 12:36pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
The idea about a meetup for HTLAL members and followers is quite interesting, but there is one complication. Sometimes people will freely tell you their HTLAL name, but I'm fairly sure that some of those I have spoken to had an HTLAL identity which they just decided not to reveal - or maybe they just didn't think it was important or interesting. But it is.

Shall we aim for a meetup at 8pm on Saturday night then? Those who don't want to show their "true identities" obviously don't have too.

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6691 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 15 of 16
24 April 2015 at 4:10pm | IP Logged 
Yeah, I'm up for it. Where? The free mingling room? Or at the registration desk outside room 1?

See you in a week (and hopefully on Thursday!)

guiguixx1
Octoglot
Belgium
guillaumelp.wordpres
Joined 3874 days ago

163 posts - 207 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Dutch, Portuguese, Esperanto, German, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Polish, Mandarin

Message 16 of 16
24 April 2015 at 4:15pm | IP Logged 
@ Iversen: I eventually have had to cancel my stay (some of my teachers have decided to
still add on news works, and I have only little time left aside my works to breath some
fresh air... I will have to wait another 3 weeds before I can relax a bit again).

I will try to get a chance to come to a later Conference...

This discussion contains 16 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version