Philippines
NoneRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3332 days ago

22 posts - 29 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 1 of 16
07 April 2015 at 9:15am | IP Logged 
I have just started using Anki. I am curious to get tips on how to best utlize Anki?

When making flashcards which vocabulary do you seek to memorize? Only what you need?

How much time should you devote out of all your study time, on flashcards?

Do you put only words in Anki or do you put phrases, or both?

What is the balance to consider when devoting time to making and studying flashcards? The
balance in relation to studying grammar, listening and actually practicing?

Thanks!
1 person has voted this message useful

CindytheKana
Philippines
Joined 3332 days ago

22 posts - 29 votes

Message 2 of 16
07 April 2015 at 9:30am | IP Logged 
My apologies for posting such a basic question. I just read the forum rules. I will use the
search feature to try and find an answer to these questions. Thanks!

rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5038 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 3 of 16
07 April 2015 at 11:50am | IP Logged 
I'll try to answer some of your questions. You can get a free book here.

Personally I find it is better to use sentences with close deletion more than single words. When you start it might be useful to find the top most 1000 (or more) frequently used words in Tagalog and start with those. I couldn't easily find a list to link to but I'm sure google will be able to help you out.

If you can find a movie or TV show in your target language, with subtitles in your native language and target language you can have some amazing luck with subs2srs. Read EMK's Spanish Experiment to find out better instructions and also how he is doing it. Lots of great input in that thread about anki.

Flashcards should be a gap filler, something to study when you have a couple of spare minutes. I would avoid letting anki become a torture machine. Trust me when I tell you that it can get really heartbreaking to open up anki and discover you have 200+ cards due. So keep the new cards each day to a low number, they soon mount up, and keep the daily reps low as well, and give yourself permission to suspend cards you don't like and cant remember. Leeches are painful.

Hope that helps.
2 persons have voted this message useful

chaotic_thought
Diglot
United States
Joined 3344 days ago

129 posts - 274 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Dutch, French

Message 4 of 16
07 April 2015 at 2:23pm | IP Logged 
I also like to use sentences with the "cloze" option in Anki along with typing option. It produces a card such as

Belgiƫ heeft een [...] klimaat (niet erg warm en niet erg koud)

Then I can practice spelling the word correctly as I try to remember it.

Also for Anki use the "timeboxing" option to a very small number. Personally I use a timeout of 3 minutes. After that timeout has been reached, NO MORE FLASHCARDING FOR AT LEAST 1 HOUR. I use this rule to avoid over-doing it. Also, with ANKI if you do this from the beginning, you will also avoid the situation mentioned above where you have 200+ cards due. In other words, you just do flashcarding for a supplement to recall some vocabulary you've already studied.

One more tip that is useful for me: don't drill any flashcards until you're completely done with the source material. This is for efficiency reasons. For example, consider the following schedule:

Day 1: Study lesson 1 (contains 50 new words)
Day 2: Study lesson 2 (contains 45 new words)
Day 90: Study lesson 90 (contains 55 new words)

So, at the end of your 90-day period (for example), you'll have studied, say, 4500-5000 new words. Do you need to flashcard all of these?? No way. In fact, I'd estimate that 70-90% of these 5000 will already be naturally absorbed in the course of the e.g. three months. Just focus on the 500 or so that have trouble sticking. But you won't know which ones these are until Day 91.

Edited by chaotic_thought on 07 April 2015 at 2:26pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

CindytheKana
Philippines
Joined 3332 days ago

22 posts - 29 votes

Message 5 of 16
08 April 2015 at 4:52am | IP Logged 
Thanks these are helpful tips! I can easily see how discouraging Anki and flashcards can get
if you let them build up.

Chaotic Thought - so for you, flashcards are mostly review of material you already learned,
rather than material you are currently learning? Do you still make the Anki cards as you go
along, but just not review them until later?

chaotic_thought
Diglot
United States
Joined 3344 days ago

129 posts - 274 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Dutch, French

Message 6 of 16
08 April 2015 at 11:06am | IP Logged 
CindytheKana wrote:
Chaotic Thought - so for you, flashcards are mostly review of material you already learned,
rather than material you are currently learning? Do you still make the Anki cards as you go
along, but just not review them until later?

Exactly. Flashcards are for review. I like to keep an Anki deck for a specific language program I'm doing (e.g. a textbook) or for my own study program (e.g. reading newspaper articles). As I go through the program I enter the new words into the Anki deck as blank cards (not for study yet). The editor makes it easy to see if you're entering duplicate words.

When you get to the end of the program (e.g. 1-2 months later), maybe you'll have a deck of 1000-2000 cards, but how many of these do you actually need to review? Probably only 10-20% of them. The rest of the cards can remain as deactivated cards. You still learned them, but you didn't need flashcards to do it.

3 persons have voted this message useful

rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5038 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 7 of 16
08 April 2015 at 5:55pm | IP Logged 
If you use Firefox as your web-browser (and why won't you?) then you should check out a plugin called Ankifox. It allows you to create cards from stuff you see on the web. So if you're reading a newspaper in your TL online. Then with Ankifox, adding words to Anki is like a breeze. You just need to select the word, right-click and choose "Add to anki". A new tab will open with both Ankiweb and your dictionary of choice.

5 persons have voted this message useful

SteveRidout
Diglot
Groupie
Spain
readlang.com
Joined 4084 days ago

65 posts - 121 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish

Message 8 of 16
08 April 2015 at 6:35pm | IP Logged 
I create a webapp and browser extension that may help you. It alleviates some of the problems with
creating and managing your flashcards.

Check it out here: http://readlang.com

It works like this:

1. Read articles on the web, or upload texts to read
2. Click to translate words and phrases
3. Every time you click a word, a cloze deletion flashcard is created

You can then export the flashcards to Anki, or practice them within Readlang. Practicing them within
Readlang has the following benefits:

1. They are prioritised by word frequency so you learn the more useful words first
2. The system allows you to increase and decrease your workload as you without worrying about the
size of your backlog (read more about this here: http://blog.readlang.com/2013/08/09/spaced-
repetition-version-2.html)

On the other hand, Anki is more flexible and probably has other benefits.

If you try it I'd love to hear what you think.

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 16 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version