Tetraglot
Croatia
Joined 4463 days ago

1199 posts - 2192 votes 
Speaks: Croatian*, English, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Norwegian, Hindi, Nepali

Message 25 of 27
08 April 2015 at 10:48am | IP Logged 
I would love to read beginner-level novels in Mandarin, but there are just too few of them, all of them require a huge number of Hanzi to read comfortably.
1 person has voted this message useful

rtickner
Diglot
Groupie
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3313 days ago

61 posts - 95 votes 
Speaks: English*, GermanB2
Studies: French, Spanish

Message 26 of 27
09 April 2015 at 6:52am | IP Logged 
Do not lose hope - the more you persist, the easier it will become. If it's all a white-wash at the moment, consider spending more time in your choses courses and/or memorisation of the most frequent words in the language. In learning German, I tried to read Harry Potter too quickly, and ended up becoming frustrated. It was on completing my coursework (primarily Michel Thomas and Hugo's German in Three Months) and through reviewing the 5000 most frequent words of the language, that I was able to gain the confidence to finish reading Harry Potter und der Stein der Weisen.

On reaching the end of the first book in the series, you will be pleasantly surprised at how far you have come. By the middle of the 4th book, I was able to read quite fluidly.

If you have the time, have a look back through the entries in this forum on L-R and Parallel Texts. Last time I checked, there was a fair amount of vitriol, but there was a good deal of value to be found under the surface.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Mork the Fiddle
United States
Joined 3764 days ago

86 posts - 159 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Norwegian, Latin, Ancient Greek

Message 27 of 27
01 May 2015 at 9:55pm | IP Logged 
gravityguy:

Are you still reading with LWT?
If yes, how much time do you spend with it every day?
Using the statistics from LWT, by now how many Spanish words are "Known" to you?
How many words are you Learning (levels 1 - 4)?

Based on my own experience using the LWT method, I found I needed to "Know" about 40,000 words to be able to read fluently. Although I did not start from scratch but from a level that was nevertheless pretty low, it took me about a year reading about an hour a day every day to reach 40,000 known words. In practice, this amounted to reading about 1,000,000 words in total.

If I started a text that proved boring or frustrated me by its difficulty, I dropped it and tried something else.

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 27 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 2 3

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version