NoneRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3332 days ago

22 posts - 29 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 17 of 20
07 April 2015 at 3:36am | IP Logged 
Thanks Jeffers this is great help!

The sentence structure is different than English, but a lot of people use a lot of English in
their speech, enough at least for me to be able to follow and track what they are talking
about. Taglish. This is especially true with my husband and inlaws. I can usually know
what they are talking about when they use Tagalog because of the English words they borrow.
Tagalog also uses a lot of Spanish too. Which is helpful because I took Spanish in high
school. I can't speak or understand much of anything in Spanish, but at least I learned some
vocab which is helpful and I can often guess words in Tagalog because of that. When my
husband moved to the US and took Spanish in high school he got an A without studying simply
because he knew Tagalog and could guess the meaning of the words.

When you say that I will have to hear lots of real examples to get a handle on it - what do
you mean? Different from just learning the grammar rules?

I like your comment about enjoying the journey and making it a habit. I am going to try and
start a log now.

1 person has voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4711 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 18 of 20
07 April 2015 at 3:33pm | IP Logged 
CindytheKana wrote:
When you say that I will have to hear lots of real examples to get a handle on it - what do you mean? Different from just learning the grammar rules?

I like your comment about enjoying the journey and making it a habit. I am going to try and start a log now.

Everyone is different, of course. But I find that I can learn a rule from a textbook, but still not remember to use it. If I learn a rule, and then come across it in actual use it sticks more. The other way around works as well: sometimes after hearing a lot of the language you wonder "why do they say it like that?" And then later you read about it in a textbook or grammar and it sort of comes together. I'm not expressing this very well, but it's what I mean by input and study supporting each other. It is possible to learn a language through books alone, and it's possible to learn a language through input alone. But I think balancing both is less frustrating, more interesting and more efficient. The exact balance depends on a lot of factors, but I just do what feels right at the time.

Good luck with your log. It's really helpful to keep track of what you're doing, and getting occasional feedback from other learners is encouraging. Being active on HTLAL has been one of the factors which has kept me on the learning path these past 3 years.
5 persons have voted this message useful

sfuqua
Triglot
United States
Joined 4567 days ago

581 posts - 977 votes 
Speaks: English*, Hawaiian, Tagalog
Studies: Spanish

Message 19 of 20
01 May 2015 at 9:31pm | IP Logged 
OK, if you're in the Philippines, you can get comics, which are full of nice, idiomatic Tagalog. If you can work with a language helper, have them read to you; Tagalog has some intonational things that don't get marked in the orthography. With modern technology you can record some speech from TV,radio, or live conversation. Work with your helper to understand what it means. Try shadowing the speech until you can speak along with the speakers at full speed with the same rhythm and pronunciation they have. You can use audacity to slow down speech if you need to to start shadowing it. If you don't know what shadowing is, just search for the term on the forum here; some people have made it the center of their language learning. The LAMP approach has a lot to offer at the early levels, but if I remember right from Peace Corps, it assumes you have many hours a day to learn.
The best American speaker of Tagalog I met never did any formal language learning at all in the language, but he spent years hanging out on the corner drinking beer and going to the cockfights.
I, on the other hand, stopped getting better in my productive Tagalog when I stopped studying. I live in a pretty complete Tagalog immersion environment at home (well, with quite a bit of Cebuano mixed in), and I watch hours of Filipino soap operas every day, and my spoken Tagalog stays mediocre.
Tagalog grammar is a beast, but you can communicate quite well using only a subset of the grammar.
I'm planning on restarting formal study as soon as I get done with FSI Spanish. Doing FSI Spanish has messed up my Tagalog, I keep saying things in Spanish when I mean to speak Tagalog.
You're right about the use of Tagalog in the Philippines, if you want to be an "insider" you have to learn it.
Edited to correct my usual sloppy spelling :(

Edited by sfuqua on 01 May 2015 at 9:34pm

ElComadreja
Philippines
bibletranslatio
Joined 7040 days ago

683 posts - 757 votes 
2 sounds
Studies: Spanish, Portuguese, Latin, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Cebuano, French, Tagalog

Message 20 of 20
02 May 2015 at 9:17am | IP Logged 
you'll probably want to know about this eventually http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/tvpatrol/northernluzon

Tagalog news

It all links to youtube, and you can listen as many times as you want :)

Edited by ElComadreja on 02 May 2015 at 9:18am

This discussion contains 20 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version