Philippines
NoneRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3332 days ago

22 posts - 29 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 1 of 4
31 March 2015 at 6:25am | IP Logged 
I have a friend who is willing to come over a once or twice a week and help me practice Tagalog. Since I am only a beginner I am wondering how to have her best help me? Do I give her a list and tell her what to quiz me on? Or do I let her lead the time together? I don't think she has ever helped anyone in this way.

Thanks in advance for any tips or advice!

1 person has voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4711 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 2 of 4
31 March 2015 at 3:23pm | IP Logged 
If you're happy with the "massive input" approach (see my response to your other question), a helper can be a great asset with this. I found it immensely helpful to read a Hindi children's book and a comic out loud to a tutor in India. We discussed the meaning of unknown words, whether certain usages were common or unusual, and discussed cultural issues that came up.

If she was an experienced tutor, I would be more inclined to let her take the lead. But since she's never done it before, take the lead yourself. Follow your own interests and your perceived needs. She will help you to find further areas of need. The only thing I wouldn't do, at least not often, is have her quiz you on a list. You could do that for yourself, so it would be more useful to do more interesting things with your friend.
2 persons have voted this message useful

CindytheKana
Philippines
NoneRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3332 days ago

22 posts - 29 votes
Studies: Tagalog

Message 3 of 4
01 April 2015 at 1:17am | IP Logged 
Great! Thank you.
1 person has voted this message useful

Bakunin
Diglot
Switzerland
outerkhmer.blogspot.
Joined 4932 days ago

531 posts - 1126 votes 
Speaks: German*, Thai
Studies: Khmer

Message 4 of 4
26 April 2015 at 8:05pm | IP Logged 
Have a look at the Growing Participator
Approach
. GPA is a comprehensive approach to learning a new language with a language helper. It has
six phases, you'll find all the manuals on the Resources page I've linked to. A good starting point is to look at
the manuals for phases 1a and 1b and maybe 2, in particular the techniques and language games. Don't be
put off by the terminology (nurturer, growing participator etc.), focus on the suggested techniques instead.

2 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version