Triglot
Germany
Joined 3334 days ago

2 posts - 5 votes
Speaks: German*, English, Spanish
Studies: Russian, French, Modern Hebrew

Message 1 of 7
29 March 2015 at 12:21pm | IP Logged 
How do you repeat a language on longterm?

Personally,I rehear Assimil once in two month. I saw how useful it was when i reheared a lesson that I
accidently deleted.

Additionally, i reread my "own" grammar, which is about 10 to 25 pages long.

After using Assimil it often was difficult for me to converse but i could understand quite well. That caused me
to learn another course with more grammar and exercices.

However i don't know what to do with the vocabularylists on long term. I see a great need to know whether a
verb in Hindi is transtive/intransitive in russian UA or VA and so forth.

For me it is important to not spend too mutch time on repeating but i don't want to forget a language either.
It'n not worth learning a language and forget it a few years later like a lot of people do

What are your stategies to efficiently repeat a language.

Edited by Thunter on 29 March 2015 at 12:28pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

guiguixx1
Octoglot
Belgium
guillaumelp.wordpres
Joined 3894 days ago

163 posts - 207 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Dutch, Portuguese, Esperanto, German, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Polish, Mandarin

Message 2 of 7
29 March 2015 at 12:45pm | IP Logged 
I usually simply try to use it a lot for a couple of hours/day. a couple of months ago,
after a long period of non use of Spanish, I used it fora couple of hours, and could
speak it again after. But it of course depends on your level, and on how you learnt the
language. For advanced languages, you'll barely need an hour or 2 (depending also on the
time you spent without using it), while for a high beginner/low intermediate, it will be
different, and you may need more time.

I hope this answered your question!
1 person has voted this message useful

Ezy Ryder
Diglot
Poland
youtube.com/user/Kat
Joined 4151 days ago

284 posts - 387 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese

Message 3 of 7
29 March 2015 at 3:50pm | IP Logged 
For a language I'm still learning, I use SRS (Spaced Repetition Software) like Anki.
It can optimize your reviews.
For a (or rather the) foreign language I've learnt already, I simply use it on a daily
basis (mainly input).

Edited by Ezy Ryder on 29 March 2015 at 3:50pm

chaotic_thought
Diglot
United States
Joined 3344 days ago

129 posts - 274 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Dutch, French

Message 4 of 7
29 March 2015 at 10:54pm | IP Logged 
Take the time you have (1 hour per day, 2 hours per day, etc.) and make this your "study/review budget" for that language. You can divide this budgeted time into short segments of activities (e.g. 15 min listening to the news, 15 min reading/listening, etc.)

When you review programs like Assimil, I recommend only allocating 30min tops to this activity per day. The rest of the time should be in fresh material that you find interesting.

When you study flashcards or do SRS drills using something like Anki, use the timeboxing option and do this for a VERY SHORT AMOUNT OF TIME (e.g. 2-3 minutes) in one sitting. When the time is up you close the program for at least one hour. You can do it a few times per day at most (e.g. if you're waiting in the train or at the bus stop or something, you can also do this). Important though - this review time on flashcards does not count toward your time budget. You have to do it "off the clock".

daegga
Tetraglot
Austria
lang-8.com/553301
Joined 4323 days ago

1076 posts - 1792 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Swedish, Norwegian
Studies: Danish, French, Finnish, Icelandic

Message 5 of 7
29 March 2015 at 11:52pm | IP Logged 
Assimil ... course ... grammar ... vocabulary lists ...

I'm missing extensive reading and listening here. It lets you discover new things to
learn, consolidates and automates knowledge you already have and provides you with a
great amount of review (even grammar points like transitive/intransitive verbs).

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4509 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 6 of 7
30 March 2015 at 5:27am | IP Logged 
Repeat? Do you mean review?

smallwhite
Pentaglot
Australia
Joined 5110 days ago

537 posts - 1045 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin, French, Spanish

Message 7 of 7
30 March 2015 at 7:25am | IP Logged 
Thunter wrote:
How do you repeat a language on longterm?
What are your stategies to efficiently repeat a language.

I used to regularly repeat/revise/review the languages that I wasn't actively learning, until I realised that it wasn't necessarily to do so. I found it much more efficient (and less boring) to revise only when I needed the language, or just maybe once a year together with other New Year's Resolutions.

That was possible because I found out what worked well for me as revision:
- listening to the radio (faster than I could read, and handsfree, yay!)
- doing flashcards (even doing only some of them would magically bring back the rest of them, eg. at first, could only answer 10%, then after struggling for an hour, suddenly could answer 90% or whatever close to the previous ability)

It only takes a few days to get back to previous B1-B2-ish levels.

Edited by smallwhite on 30 March 2015 at 2:12pm

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version