Indonesia
monoxdifly.iopc.us
Joined 4894 days ago

762 posts - 664 votes 
Speaks: Indonesian*

Message 41 of 403
31 January 2016 at 1:04pm | IP Logged 
Learnt two interesting things today:

The Arabic word of "gold" is "dzahab", which has exactly the same consonants as "dzahaba" (means "go"). So, the last letter "a" in "dzahaba" removes the letter "ld" in "gold" (so, DZAHAB -> DZAHABa and GOld -> GO).

The Arabic word of "left" is "yaasar", which sounds similar to "nyasar", an Indonesian slang word of "getting lost". So, I associate them by thinking that people getting lost are always left. Even better, the Japanese word for "left" is "hidari", which sounds similar to "hindari", Indonesian word of "avoid". Using those two connections, I memorize both Arabic and Japanese words of "left" by the phrase "hindari nyasar", which means "avoid getting lost".
1 person has voted this message useful

Monox D. I-Fly
Indonesia
monoxdifly.iopc.us
Joined 4894 days ago

762 posts - 664 votes 

Message 42 of 403
01 February 2016 at 6:05pm | IP Logged 
Finished the second module of Japanese from FSI about greeting and introduction. Still wondering though, is the hiragana for "wa" in "dewa mata" written with "wa" or "ha"? Some new vocabs today:
Kado = Corner
Kanai = My wife
Shujin = My husband
Tatemono = Building

Leart that the Arabic for "these" is "haa-ulaa-i" for masculine and "haa-ulaa-in" for feminine. Also learnt that if a masculine word end with "-un" then the plural form will end with "uun". As for feminine, it's a more bit complicated than that.

Monox D. I-Fly
Indonesia
monoxdifly.iopc.us
Joined 4894 days ago

762 posts - 664 votes 

Message 43 of 403
02 February 2016 at 6:08pm | IP Logged 
Learnt about Arabic plural words. This is kinda the hard ones since there are many irregularities. Well, at least it's not as hard as determining whether a noun is male or female in French. Arabic is easier. Also, something strikes me when I read that the plural form of "goni" (rich) is "agniya". I suddenly remember my ex's classmate whose name is Agni. All along this time, I thought that his name is based on the Sanskrit word for "fire" (I am Javanese and Javanese language has direct connection with Sanksrit after all), but what if his parents intended it to be the Arabic word for "rich" instead (his family is all Muslims, so using Arabic names is also normal)?

Monox D. I-Fly
Indonesia
monoxdifly.iopc.us
Joined 4894 days ago

762 posts - 664 votes 

Message 44 of 403
03 February 2016 at 6:07pm | IP Logged 
Still doesn't memorize the sentence structure for asking places and directions in Japanese. "Toire ni doko desu ka?" "Asoko ni gasorin sutando arimasu ka? Sono migi no hou arimasu"
Today in my workplace I showed my flashcard which has he Kanji 大 (Dai) to my coworker named Dayat whom I usually call with "Dai" and told that it means "big". He then asked what is the meaning of "Dayat" itself, and I said that it was most likely an Arabic word and promised to look for it. At home I checked on Google and typed the word "Dayat" in Arabic (without vowels) and got "diyat" (challenge) instead. Then I Googled it up again using my native language Indonesian and found out that "Dayat" is a Sundanese word which is indeed derived from an Arabic word "hidayat" which means "blessing".

cathrynm
United States
junglevision.co
Joined 5884 days ago

910 posts - 1232 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Finnish

Message 45 of 403
04 February 2016 at 4:27pm | IP Logged 
Arabic is interesting -- I have quite a few Arab friends on Facebook, and I think, at least, I'd like to learn to say their names correctly.   From what I read of people studying, I suspect Arabic might be more difficult than Finnish, even.

I'm not sure what's happening exactly at work for me, but there is a possibility I may be spending some more time in China. We'll see.

Monox D. I-Fly
Indonesia
monoxdifly.iopc.us
Joined 4894 days ago

762 posts - 664 votes 

Message 46 of 403
04 February 2016 at 6:02pm | IP Logged 
Arabis is a hard language to master. Even I who started learning Arabic ever since I was a 4th grader still haven't fully grasped half of it. I don't know about Finnish, but many people though that Arabic is one of the four hardest languages along with Chinese and Russian. I forget what the other one is, but it's most likely not Finnish.
2 persons have voted this message useful

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4424 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian*, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 47 of 403
05 February 2016 at 12:38am | IP Logged 
Monox D. I-Fly wrote:
Still wondering though, is the hiragana for "wa" in "dewa mata"
written with "wa" or "ha"?

ではまた

2 persons have voted this message useful

Monox D. I-Fly
Indonesia
monoxdifly.iopc.us
Joined 4894 days ago

762 posts - 664 votes 

Message 48 of 403
05 February 2016 at 12:35pm | IP Logged 
dampingwire wrote:
Monox D. I-Fly wrote:
Still wondering though, is the hiragana for "wa" in "dewa mata"
written with "wa" or "ha"?

ではまた

ありがとうございます, ダンピングワイルさん. :)

This discussion contains 403 messages over 51 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version