Monox D. I-Fly
Indonesia
monoxdifly.iopc.us
Joined 4915 days ago

762 posts - 664 votes 
Speaks: Indonesian*

Message 33 of 403
26 January 2016 at 6:12pm | IP Logged 
Today there was a long breakout in my office, and while the others were confused about what they should do, I just reread my language notes and noticed that German number system is similar to Arabic. That's why I was kind of familiar with the Arabic system. I have posted about the number here though:
Monox D. I-Fly wrote:
Learning Arabic number words again. So, the Arabic for teen numbers are equivalent with one ten, two ten, three ten, etc. while the Arabic for the number after twenty seem to have the pattern "ones and tenths". For example:
48 = Tsamaniyyah wa arba'uun = 8 & 40
75 = Khomsah wa sab'uun = 5 + 70
49 = Tis'a wa arba'uun = 9 + 40
etc.

1 person has voted this message useful

Monox D. I-Fly
Indonesia
monoxdifly.iopc.us
Joined 4915 days ago

762 posts - 664 votes 

Message 34 of 403
27 January 2016 at 12:28am | IP Logged 
Found an interesting thing. The Arabic, the word "waroqun" means both "paper" and "leaf", while the Japanese for "paper" itself (kami) can also mean "hair". All of them (paper, leaf, and hair) in Indonesia have the same unit: "helai" (sheet).

Oh, that's from the plant theme. From the animal theme, I found out that the Arabic for "rooster" is "diik". It is really easy to remember, since in Indonesia it is pronounced the same as "dick", the slang meaning of "rooster"'s synonym (cock).

Monox D. I-Fly
Indonesia
monoxdifly.iopc.us
Joined 4915 days ago

762 posts - 664 votes 

Message 35 of 403
27 January 2016 at 6:16pm | IP Logged 
Now learning about possession pronouns in Arabic. I like the way Madinah Arabic site explains it per perspective and gender, like this:
2nd male = -ka
2nd female = -ki
3rd male = -hu
3rd female = -haa
1st singular = -ii
1st plural = -naa
Instead of when I learnt them in religion school when I was a kid, we must memorize 14 of them at once. Of course a child's brain is not enough to memorize them in 45 minutes.

Now let's give it a try:
Your hand (male) = yaduka
Your heart (female) = qolbuki
His foot (male) = qodamuhu
Her face (female) = wajhuhaa
My tongue = lisaanii
Our eyes = 'ainunaa

Monox D. I-Fly
Indonesia
monoxdifly.iopc.us
Joined 4915 days ago

762 posts - 664 votes 

Message 36 of 403
28 January 2016 at 12:13am | IP Logged 
Finished the introduction part in NihonGo Master site. Want to continue but we have to become premium member for that and I don't have enough fund to do it. It's a shame because almost all lessons in the introduction part, I have understood before I even registered to that site. My vocabs did boost a little, though. Also, I can understand why not everything is free because if we can learn free Japanese to the point of fluency, who would take a Japanese literature subject?

Monox D. I-Fly
Indonesia
monoxdifly.iopc.us
Joined 4915 days ago

762 posts - 664 votes 

Message 37 of 403
28 January 2016 at 6:04pm | IP Logged 
All along this time I always depend on Omniglot to look for language learning sites. I have tried all the sites listed in the Japanese page (the free ones) I ran out of learning sites. Then an idea hit me, why didn't I try to look for them in the forum glossary? I went there and encountered the entry about FSI. I tried to open it and it took about half an hour. When I reached the Japanese language learning page, I got excited because the modules looked so promising. Then I decided to learn Japanese from this site this time, not to mention that the forum glossary said that FSI is often said as one of the three most useful language program (dunno about the other two, but I am sure time will tell).

Monox D. I-Fly
Indonesia
monoxdifly.iopc.us
Joined 4915 days ago

762 posts - 664 votes 

Message 38 of 403
29 January 2016 at 6:27pm | IP Logged 
New Vocabs I Have Unlocked in My Memory

Arabic:
Al-ladzii = Which (male)
Al-latii = Which (female)
Naafidzatun = Window

Japanese:
Matsuri = Festival
Gohan = Rice
Hashi = Chopstick

Also, tried to translate the Symbol Powers from Power Rangers Samurai to Arabic:
火 = نار
水 = ماء
木 = شجرة
土 = ارض
天 = جنّة
光 = نور
Hope I got them right.

Monox D. I-Fly
Indonesia
monoxdifly.iopc.us
Joined 4915 days ago

762 posts - 664 votes 

Message 39 of 403
30 January 2016 at 6:03pm | IP Logged 
Still reading the Japanese module from FSI. The first module is all about Japanese culture. I tried answering the quiz and surprisingly got them all right, probably because Indonesians have similar-but-not-as-great politeness as Japan. I do prefer living here, though. Now I am in the beginning of module 2.

Monox D. I-Fly
Indonesia
monoxdifly.iopc.us
Joined 4915 days ago

762 posts - 664 votes 

Message 40 of 403
31 January 2016 at 5:33am | IP Logged 
Made a set of flashcards. It consists the first 16 of grade 1 Kanji. Those cards are used to learn Japanese and Arabic vocabs at once. Because reading Kanji without Furigana is essentially the same as reading Arabic without vowels, in those cards I made the non-voweled Arabic words as the Furigana so I can get used in both of them:

This discussion contains 403 messages over 51 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version