Joined 5028 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 9 of 16
17 March 2015 at 2:22pm | IP Logged 
SergeyP wrote:
mrwarper, Thank you for explanation!

Right now the app has "shift by _ sec" function in its Subs Editor in Windows version, but not "stretch by _ factor". Ok, may be I need to add the latter also.

You're welcome.

Now, I don't use your application as of now, but I have it tagged to have a look when I have the time, so please excuse me if you feel this suggestion crosses any lines:

Don't make things 'complicated' for users unless it's really necessary. As a user, I'm lazy, so as a programmer I ask users for the absolute minimum necessary parameters.

The linear, "stretch" part of the algorithm to adjust each individual subtitle can be completely hidden from users with a simple interface, something like this:

Shift first subtitle by [0]. ← This can be changed, but default is 0.
Shift last subtitle by [same as above]. ← Default is not "0", it is "what you entered above".

Any subtitles will be delayed by offset = a*t +b, where "a" and "b" can be calculated from the user input above --so I feel a programmer MUST calculate them instead of asking the user to perform the calculation, or even worse, guess--. The real "magic" in doing so is twofold:

-If a user doesn't change the values, "no" adjustment is made. A clever programmer will avoid calculations that make no changes, but even a lazy one won't affect the results.
-Moreover, the second offset should default to 'match the first' unless a value is manually entered for the last subtitle. This way, when the second value is left untouched, the offset adjust calculation changes automatically from a general linear equation off = a*t +b into its simpler counterpart off = b (constant) because coefficient "a" becomes 0.
1 person has voted this message useful

lorinth
Tetraglot
Belgium
Joined 4076 days ago

443 posts - 581 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish, Latin
Studies: Mandarin, Finnish

Message 10 of 16
17 March 2015 at 3:22pm | IP Logged 
Quote:
Although it works well I will probably still be mainly using audacity and mp3direct
to
play my files.

I think WorkAudioBook and Audacity are different kind of animals. Audacity is a powerful
sound editor that can be used as a leaning tool, while WorkAudiBook is designed from the ground
up as a learning tool that can create subtitle text files, show/hide subtitles to help you
improve your listening comprehension, automate the whole process of splitting audio files
and looping through sentences and, what is even more important for me, it runs on Android,
which helps me work on my listening comprehension in many places while I'm away from my
computer.

I do agree that modulating the playback speed would be a great new feature. Also it would
be cool if the sound file could be split manually, to make audio snippets match meaningful
subtitles (often, in natural speech, there are pauses in the middle of the sentence, which
forces WorkAudioBook to split audio snippets. Sometimes it would be handy if we could break
the audio at arbitrary points).

Edited by lorinth on 17 March 2015 at 3:23pm

SergeyP
Russian Federation
Joined 3355 days ago

7 posts - 10 votes

Message 11 of 16
17 March 2015 at 7:55pm | IP Logged 
schoenewaelder, mrwarper: Thanks for your explanations!

schoenewaelder:

> Also film soundtracks have many periods when there is no dialogue. It would
be good to be able to just skip past them, but I suspect it is difficult with
background noise and music.

See my answer below.

lorinth:

> Also it would be cool if the sound file could be split manually, to make audio
snippets match meaningful subtitles

You can do this by creating subtitles in Windows version or using already available
subs. Then you can set option in "Settings" > "Subtitles" > "Select phrases" >
"Exactly as subtitles" to instruct the app to go strictly by subtitles.

Another option is to add bookmarks for every phrase – this functionality available in
both Windows and Android versions. Of course you can correct selection before adding a
bookmark. To simplify the process press Bookmarks button (Star icon) and check "Add
when Play Next is pressed" option. Then, when bookmarks will be added for all phrases
as you like, you can go over them by pressing Bookmarks button (Star icon) and
checking "Move only around bookmarks".

Michel1020
Tetraglot
Belgium
Joined 4819 days ago

365 posts - 559 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish, Dutch

Message 12 of 16
17 March 2015 at 11:50pm | IP Logged 
I don't like it to automatically open last mp3.
I like it to remember my corrections on the splits but wonder how long it will remember them, how and where does it remember those corrections ? What if I rename my mp3 or move it to another directory or work on many files ?
I agree with others about playing with pace.

I didn't test any subtitles features yet.

lorinth
Tetraglot
Belgium
Joined 4076 days ago

443 posts - 581 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish, Latin
Studies: Mandarin, Finnish

Message 13 of 16
18 March 2015 at 9:31am | IP Logged 
Hello Sergey, I had not noticed that option. Thanks a lot! Wonderful tool, keep on with the
good work.

SergeyP
Russian Federation
Joined 3355 days ago

7 posts - 10 votes

Message 14 of 16
18 March 2015 at 10:01am | IP Logged 
Michel1020

> I like it to remember my corrections on the splits but wonder how long it will
remember them, how and where does it remember those corrections ? What if I rename my mp3
or move it to another directory or work on many files ?

The app does not remember your corrections automatically. If you want it to remember them
, then either create subtitles (Windows version) or add bookmarks (Windows or Android
version). See my answer for lorinth above your post. In this case the app will create
either subtitles files (.html or .srt) or bookmarks file (.bookmarks) and then it is up
to you how long will you store them, copy, share with friend, whatever.

Michel1020
Tetraglot
Belgium
Joined 4819 days ago

365 posts - 559 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish, Dutch

Message 15 of 16
18 March 2015 at 3:05pm | IP Logged 
Sorry but it does remember split corrections - at least for a while.

I modify the splits on a short song.
Open and listen to another song.
Reload the first one - my corrections still exist.
Open another song.
Quit and reopen Workaudiobook.
Open my corrected song and my corrections still exist.

SergeyP
Russian Federation
Joined 3355 days ago

7 posts - 10 votes

Message 16 of 16
18 March 2015 at 6:58pm | IP Logged 
Michel1020

Workaudiobook simply remembers the place where you've stopped, i.e. the last selection.
The app remembers it for the last 20 files, if I remember correctly. This information is
stored in internal settings.

This discussion contains 16 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version