33 messages over 5 pages: 1 24 5  Next >>
Spanky
Canada
Joined 5737 days ago

1021 posts - 1714 votes 
Studies: French

Message 17 of 33
14 February 2015 at 1:52am | IP Logged 
I have been working through the Alaric Hall materials mentioned by dmaddock - it is an awesome set of audio learning materials patterned very deliberately from the original Michel Thomas materials.   Alaric is an extremely cheery fellow, a language professor from the University of Leeds, and the materials, link below, are awesome to begin with pretty much from scratch.

Alaric Hall course materials and links

Because I have found through long experience that I learn best when I can see a new word rather than just hear it, I have been supplementing the mp3 course with his cheat sheet of grammar notes

cheat sheet

and with the Memrise course that he prepared for the original version of the mp3 course (not the more recent Memrise course for use after finishing the mp3 course).

memrise course

Edited by Spanky on 14 February 2015 at 1:58am

1 person has voted this message useful

Spanky
Canada
Joined 5737 days ago

1021 posts - 1714 votes 

Message 18 of 33
16 February 2015 at 6:18pm | IP Logged 
Spanky wrote:
... to either the amusement or the concern of other humans ...

Up until this morning, it was chiefly the lateral stops (the "ll" nightmare) which drew the biggest concern from bus mates (sounds way too close to spitting for the comfort of many, and frankly, there is already enough spitting on the bus for my liking), but this morning the new source of concern is the slight snorting (velar nasal?) that appears to be involved in pronouncing the Icelandic for 'child".   

I may make it through Icelandic after all (the Alaric Hall materials make it way less intimidating than was the case for me a few months ago on my first try), but the likelihood is that if I do, I will surely be chased off the bus at some point...

Edited by Spanky on 16 February 2015 at 8:50pm

Spanky
Canada
Joined 5737 days ago

1021 posts - 1714 votes 

Message 19 of 33
11 April 2015 at 6:00pm | IP Logged 
I am still working at Icelandic, and am surprised to have learned that the language is
not actually malevolently attempting to break my brain; instead, it is just a lot of
work but rewarding as it is pretty cool.

My principal learning text right now is the Hippocrene, Beginner's Icelandic (link
below) and the Alaric Hall audio materials (previously referenced), as well as a
number of Memrise courses.

ie=UTF8&qid=1428767447&sr=8-1&keywords=hippocrene+icelandic" >Hippocrene, Beginner's
Icelandic

I highly recommend the Alaric Hall materials - makes getting through the highly-
inflectional aspects of the language, including the maddening vowel shifts, as easy
and enjoyable as possible, and gets you practising that material immediately instead
of just throwing some declension tables at you.

Edited by Spanky on 11 April 2015 at 7:17pm

Spanky
Canada
Joined 5737 days ago

1021 posts - 1714 votes 

Message 20 of 33
11 April 2015 at 6:09pm | IP Logged 
Some other learning materials I have either flirted with or marked for myself for the
future:

Icelandic Online

Material prepared through the University of Iceland. I have this marked for the
future for myself – looks interesting with audiovisual material and interesting
exercises, with material graded from absolute beginner, and CERF levels A1 through C1.    
Registration is required but free.

Viltu læra íslensku?

Awesome site based on short videos.

Mímir

Some short articles on different aspects of the language

digital dialects   

Lots of learning games for learning elementary Icelandic.

sentence pairs

Bilingual sentence pairs from the Tatoeba Project – unhelpfully, the provided audio is
only for the English sentence in each pair.

Edited by Spanky on 11 April 2015 at 6:11pm

Spanky
Canada
Joined 5737 days ago

1021 posts - 1714 votes 

Message 21 of 33
11 April 2015 at 6:13pm | IP Logged 
A couple of more...

Bragi materials

Looks like it may be super-useful, but only after I learn some more Icelandic.

inflection wizard

Interactive assistance with inflections.

Spanky
Canada
Joined 5737 days ago

1021 posts - 1714 votes 

Message 22 of 33
15 April 2015 at 11:17pm | IP Logged 
Spanky wrote:

My principal learning text right now is the Hippocrene, Beginner's Icelandic (link
below) ....

ie=UTF8&qid=1428767447&sr=8-1&keywords=hippocrene+icelandic" >Hippocrene, Beginner's
Icelandic

There are two memrise courses associated with this text/audio, but one of them (the one with the picture of the book included in the header of the course) only deals with six of the 14 chapters and does not have audio.   The better course is the following (looks like it covers 13 of 14 chapters, and includes audio):

Beginner's Icelandic (Hippocrene)

Edited by Spanky on 15 April 2015 at 11:17pm

Spanky
Canada
Joined 5737 days ago

1021 posts - 1714 votes 

Message 23 of 33
15 April 2015 at 11:20pm | IP Logged 
Spanky wrote:
I have been working through the Alaric Hall materials mentioned by dmaddock - it is an awesome set of audio learning materials patterned very deliberately from the original Michel Thomas materials.   Alaric is an extremely cheery fellow, a language professor from the University of Leeds, and the materials, link below, are awesome to begin with pretty much from scratch.

Alaric Hall course materials and links

Because I have found through long experience that I learn best when I can see a new word rather than just hear it, I have been supplementing the mp3 course with his cheat sheet of grammar notes

cheat sheet

and with the Memrise course that he prepared for the original version of the mp3 course (not the more recent Memrise course for use after finishing the mp3 course).

memrise course

The second of the Memrise courses created by Alaric Hall is better for the updated (2nd edition) mp3 course, though it still has a few bugs. No audio, but 16+ hours of audio in the mp3 course itself.

updated Alaric Hall memrise course

Spanky
Canada
Joined 5737 days ago

1021 posts - 1714 votes 

Message 24 of 33
17 April 2015 at 6:26am | IP Logged 
English/Icelandic online dictionaries that may be of assistance:

University of Wisconsin site

This includes a number of bilingual short texts: