Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

What are some heavily regular languages?

Language Learning Forum : Specific Languages Post Reply
21 messages over 3 pages: 1 2
Stolan
United States
Joined 3829 days ago

274 posts - 368 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Thai, Lowland Scots
Studies: Arabic (classical), Cantonese

Message 17 of 21
25 March 2015 at 3:00am | IP Logged 
I repeat, do we include derivation?

Spanish has over a dozen ways to form diminutives which are not always too mechanical,
but German, having unpredictable plurals compared to Spanish's -s, just has 2 productive
ones:-chen and less frequently -lein which are mechanical. Learning vocabulary in this
one area is more irregular in Spanish.

Edited by Stolan on 25 March 2015 at 3:00am

1 person has voted this message useful

Ruan
Diglot
Groupie
BrazilRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5978 days ago

95 posts - 101 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English

Message 18 of 21
23 August 2015 at 11:13pm | IP Logged 
Dtmon wrote:
The idea of "regular" languages always interested me. When I say regular I mean languages with high amounts of
patterns that rarely have exceptions. Languages like
Esperanto or Turkish. Besides these two what are some others?

If you're interested in conlangs, then Lojban and Toki Pona would be the answer.
Pidgins and creoles tend to be more regular than languages with a long story of isolation, spoken mostly by monolingual
populations. So I would certainly investigate Haitian Creole and Jamaican Patois.

Edited by Ruan on 23 August 2015 at 11:18pm

Medulin
Tetraglot
Croatia
Joined 4465 days ago

1199 posts - 2192 votes 
Speaks: Croatian*, English, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Norwegian, Hindi, Nepali

Message 19 of 21
23 August 2015 at 11:47pm | IP Logged 
Mandarin is pretty regular ;)

Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5858 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, EnglishC2, GermanB1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Sanskrit, Arabic (classical)

Message 20 of 21
24 August 2015 at 5:15pm | IP Logged 
Ari wrote:
*Surpresses the instinct to yell "Chinese is not a language"*

That made me smile, but we should be able to acknowledge the common usage, so you should suppress it. Look at "Spanish", as "Castilian" is commonly called.

Ari wrote:
I think the concept of "regular" vs. "irregular" is a bit eurocentric, or at least based heavily on Standard Average European.

I'm with you once again, but that's inevitable.

thul� wrote:
Arabic is a reasonably regular language. There are no irregular verbs per se. Every verb fits a very clear pattern. I would say it is a rule based language, if you know all the rules you can't make mistakes. As opposed to a language like English, even if there are rules, there are so many exceptions in the end there is a lot of things you need to learn by heart if you want to be proficient.

I'd say the problem is knowing all the rules. I've studied Arabic to a point where my teacher was fine-tuning grammar rules that are exceptions to other grammar rules. Truth be told, I've amazing notes regarding aspects no Arabic speaker uses on a day-to-day basis. Really literary stuff. (*)

Some sacred languages have had contributions by very gifted grammarians. Arabic and Sanskrit are two such examples. From these grammarians' point of view, their languages are regular. The problem is that they coded many, many rules (sometimes in the thousands). If you know Sanskrit's almost 4,000 rules, you'll be able to tackle any text, any difficulty. But would you call that "regular"? Or would you say they just incorporated exceptions and called them rules?

(*) Most of it has fallen by the wayside, I must confess. But I still have the notes.

Edit: 1,000 votes. Thanks. :)

Edited by Luso on 24 August 2015 at 7:34pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

tommus
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5663 days ago

979 posts - 1688 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Dutch, French, Esperanto, German, Spanish

Message 21 of 21
24 August 2015 at 7:01pm | IP Logged 
Dutch is very regular, especially compared to English. Almost all verb infinitives end in
'en'and there are not many irregular verbs. Pronunciation (based on spelling) is especially
regular. Grammar rules are quite regular but relatively complex.

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 21 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version