Philippines
https://talktagalog.Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4269 days ago

172 posts - 240 votes 
Speaks: English*, Tagalog*
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin

Message 1 of 10
07 February 2015 at 11:45am | IP Logged 
Is there anyone who can recommend to me some websites or links where I can watch documentaries or
other non-fiction shows or series in Mandarin with subtitles?

I am living in China and I can get access to Chinese cable TV (in fact I do have a subscription but I have
turned on my TV for a while) but I would rather have a few focused sources than flipping through the hundred
plus cable channels a day looking for something which I find interesting to watch. Also, I'd like my household
to be a no-TV household for my daughter for the first few years of her life.

I know I'll probably upgrade my conversational Chinese Mandarin skills a lot faster if I instead watch
telenovelas and other TV shows and series which feature people in social interaction, but that's really not my
my thing. I like watching documentaries.

1 person has voted this message useful

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6363 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 2 of 10
07 February 2015 at 12:58pm | IP Logged 
Try youku.com and tudou.com. Search for 记录片.

Michel1020
Tetraglot
Belgium
Joined 4798 days ago

365 posts - 559 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish, Dutch

Message 3 of 10
07 February 2015 at 6:02pm | IP Logged 
wikipedia wrote:
CCTV-9 formerly known as CCTV International or Nine Network is the documentary channel of the television network, CCTV in the People's Republic of China. This channel has a local Mandarin Chinese edition called CCTV-9, and an international English language edition called CCTV-9 Documentary[2] which is carried by more satellites. CCTV-9 Documentary has also been known to carry some Mandarin-language programmes with English subtitles; they broadcast new programming between 19:00 and 23:00 Beijing time, and repeat archival programming at other times.

CCTV-10 is the science and education focused channel of the CCTV (China Central Television) Network in the People's Republic of China. Its schedule includes mostly local and imported documentaries, as well as educational studio productions.

If you don't want it on your tv set maybe they have podcasts, streaming or youtube.
2 persons have voted this message useful

shk00design
Triglot
Canada
Joined 4225 days ago

747 posts - 1123 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin
Studies: French

Message 4 of 10
07 February 2015 at 11:50pm | IP Logged 
I get a lot of CCTV documentaries off YouTube. I like anything to do with history and saw a few regarding
Chinese dynasties: Xia, Shang, Tang, Ming & Qing emperors. Many of these are available in the English edition
or the Chinese edition with English subtitles. I am not sure about YouTube being accessible in China.

There is a show from Taiwan that aired 2 years ago "真相 HOLD 得住". It is a show where the hosts discussed
interesting finds including UFO encounters, a boy in Cambodia who lived with a 30 feet python.

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6363 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 5 of 10
08 February 2015 at 8:38am | IP Logged 
The OP is living in China. YouTube suggestions are not going to be helpful unless (s)he has a proxy setup to bypass the block. And even then, I doubt CCTV would upload their stuff on YouTube.

smallwhite
Pentaglot
Australia
Joined 5089 days ago

537 posts - 1045 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin, French, Spanish

Message 6 of 10
08 February 2015 at 3:31pm | IP Logged 
CCTV-9 Documentary is really good. I used to watch I think Thursday evenings China time. Animals, nature, 少數民族, science, animals, animals. Highly addictive. Subtitled (in Chinese?). My Mandarin improved significantly watching it.

Duke100782 wrote:
Also, I'd like my household to be a no-TV household for my daughter for the first few years of her life.

Would watching CCTV-9 on the computer screen instead of on the television screen make the house non-TV? lol.

Duke100782
Bilingual Diglot
Philippines
https://talktagalog.Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4269 days ago

172 posts - 240 votes 
Speaks: English*, Tagalog*
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin

Message 7 of 10
08 February 2015 at 4:59pm | IP Logged 
I do use a virtual private network (VPN) to access websites from the "outside world", including YouTube. I
was just trying to watch a documentary on the French Foreign Legion ealier (in English) but the internet is
incredibly slow tonight.

I am aware of the CCTV documentary channel, but just flipping on the TV and waiting for something good to
come on the telly isn't just what I'm after.

As mentioned, any recommendations on documentaries or non-fiction series would be great. Any favorites in
mind?

Thanks for the great ideas so far.

Edited by Duke100782 on 08 February 2015 at 5:01pm

shk00design
Triglot
Canada
Joined 4225 days ago

747 posts - 1123 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin
Studies: French

Message 8 of 10
08 February 2015 at 8:50pm | IP Logged 
Ari wrote:
The OP is living in China. YouTube suggestions are not going to be helpful unless (s)he has a
proxy setup to bypass the block. And even then, I doubt CCTV would upload their stuff on YouTube.

Don't forget, CCTV is available across the border in Hong Kong & Macau. Both of these are Special
Administrative Regions of China after the handover in 1997 & '99 where YouTube is accessible. When I was
in Hong Kong 2 months ago, I picked up Mainland programs on TV. In Canada I picked them up through
YouTube including a recent program: 鲁豫有约 from 凤凰电视 Phoenix TV. Other recent shows I picked up
include: 北京新发现. This show is all about the latest electronic gadgets including iPhones, pocket-sized
cameras. The other is 外国人在中国 the show about foreigners living in China.

People do upload shows from Mainland China onto YouTube. In Canada we have a multilingual TV station
Omni that broadcasts Chinese shows a few hours a week. I pick up some of the same shows on YouTube.
Even without access to YouTube, if you do a search on a show title, you would find a video site where the
show is available. I've seen shows in Mandarin from Singapore through the LeTV site from China including:
企鹅爸爸 and 96 ° C 咖啡. I'm sure the program 好好说慢慢讲 Say It! for learning Mandarin is accessible in
China through LeTV or another local video site.

Edited by shk00design on 08 February 2015 at 9:02pm

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version