Diglot
Taiwan
syricfreising.blogsp
Joined 4069 days ago

6 posts - 10 votes
Speaks: Mandarin*, English

Message 9 of 12
09 February 2015 at 3:58pm | IP Logged 
In my opinion, as a German learner and had stayed in Southern Germany for seven months, your German may sound too fast for beginners and not natural enough. Perhaps it would be better if you describe the picture in details, e.g. what happens in the picture, to make the German dialogues in your video sounds more natural. Those additional desciption should be useful for learners if they watched lots of similiar videos you made.

Also, I think it may not be a bad thing to narrate with your native accent. Since you want to develope a language learning method without any pre-learning of writing system, listening comprehension and speaking should be the most important goal. There is no need to learn a standard written language with a standard accent, instead you should let learners acquire your native speech and speak it as natural as possible.
1 person has voted this message useful

Bakunin
Diglot
Switzerland
outerkhmer.blogspot.
Joined 4932 days ago

531 posts - 1126 votes 
Speaks: German*, Thai
Studies: Khmer

Message 10 of 12
09 February 2015 at 6:26pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the additional feedback. I take the point about speaking too fast and will instruct the people I work
with to speak slowly in the beginning.

I'm not planning to do that for German; I'm thinking of applying this method to a smallish language in SE Asia
which has no written standard.

The few videos I made are only meant to demonstrate the idea (proof of concept). Of course, the videos
would quickly become more and more complex, contain more and more detailed descriptions which are less
and less scripted.

I'm amazed at the comments about my German. I can assure you that this is my native accent and my natural
way of speaking.

I'm baffled by the fact that nobody so far has given me the feedback I asked for, namely: can you follow what
I'm talking about in 1-2 after listening to all four videos. Instead, I get well-meant suggestions about German,
romanization etc. which are unfortunately completely irrelevant. I conclude from that that I really haven't
expressed myself clearly. But I still hope that somebody will actually be so kind to give me the feedback I'm
looking for (see my first post) :))
1 person has voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7007 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 11 of 12
09 February 2015 at 10:07pm | IP Logged 
I don't know German, but I felt like I could follow the parts I watched.

Especially for beginners, it's helpful to have exagerated clarity in the voices. Clean enunciation, not too fast.
I'm not saying that you aren't speaking clearly, only that to understand what the phonemes or sounds are, it's
helpful to hear them distinctly.

Watching your video makes me imagine that someday soon, someone will have people who like to put on a
show use motion capture to create animated characters and than add the voice over, "This is a man", "This is
a woman", "This is a baby", and they'll adjust the animation to look like whatever the native people generally
look like.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6241 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 12 of 12
19 April 2015 at 8:21pm | IP Logged 
This sounds like an excellent project; are you still thinking about doing it?

If so, I'd recommend looking up the direct method, as well as the Cseh method ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andreo_Cseh#The_Cseh_Method ), which was popular for teaching Esperanto a century ago. Notably, it's a method where the students' native language is not used.

I didn't see your videos. Having seen various attempts at target-language-only teaching over the years, though, I think it's worth emphasizing a few things:

a) Absolute beginner material should be carefully enunciated and not overly fast. I prefer a natural clear speed (ie, similar to what radio broadcasts often contain), rather than a very fast or slow one. Over-enunciating should also be avoided.

b) Make dialogs/stories as quickly as possible. "This is a chair, this is a dog" gets boring after a few minutes. Turning the same thing into a story works much better - Dr. Seuss and Lingua Latina are both written resources, but they illustrate how you can bootstrap from a tiny vocabulary, and create something interesting for beginners.

c) Make sure the audio quality is decent.

d) Aside from the main track of videos, have one that focuses on pronunciation and minimal pairs, with extremely clear audio recorded under the best conditions you reasonably can have.

If you do it, good luck!

6 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version