Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6362 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 1 of 7
18 January 2015 at 7:51pm | IP Logged 
I like quiz shows. Do you like quiz shows? What quiz shows are good and/or popular in the languages you speak?

Swedish
In Swedish, the most popular quiz show is probably "På spåret", which has a geography/train theme. Contestants compete in two teams and guess where the train is heading, based on wordplay clues given by the host. Then they answer questions related to the place in question.

There's also "Intresseklubben", which is the Swedish version of QI. It's not as good as the British version (which is probably the best show in the history of television), but it's still pretty good.

But the greatest of them all, and probably the best for language learners (though possibly a bit advanced) has to be Gäster med gester, a charades show. It's a bit old now, but it really is great.

Portuguese
I just discovered "Roda a roda", a Brazilian word quiz show. It looks pretty good! Seems to be one of those shows where you guess letters and then try to guess the whole word. Pretty good for language learners like myself!

French
"Des chiffres et des lettres". I'm not a huge fan of this game, but it can still be a bit fun to watch. And the word games might increase your vocabulary!

---

Any other tips?
4 persons have voted this message useful

anamsc2
Tetraglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4339 days ago

85 posts - 186 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Catalan, German
Studies: French

Message 2 of 7
18 January 2015 at 9:36pm | IP Logged 
I love Pasapalabra in Spanish! It's a gameshow with celebrities and the participants have to play various word games. Great for learning vocabulary and learning about Spanish pop culture.

http://www.mitele.es/programas-tv/pasapalabra/
1 person has voted this message useful

Darya0Khoshki
Triglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4848 days ago

71 posts - 91 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Written), Arabic (Iraqi)
Studies: Persian

Message 3 of 7
18 January 2015 at 10:09pm | IP Logged 
When I lived in Iraq before I had satellite TV and only got one channel, there was a great
quiz show out of Baghdad I used to look forward to every week. It's really good not just for
language but for cultural knowledge as well. :-)

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3924 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish
Studies: Tagalog

Message 4 of 7
19 January 2015 at 12:36am | IP Logged 
When I was teaching a year-long adult immersion class, my students *loved* watching La Guerre des clans (Family
Feud) and Taxi payant (Cash Cab). These are both shows from Quebec, so they might be a bit tricky if you're learning
European French. Very funny, though, and great for learning slang (if you have access to a native speaker to explain
the slang).

redflag
Australia
Joined 3622 days ago

123 posts - 182 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Danish, Indonesian, French

Message 5 of 7
19 January 2015 at 1:40am | IP Logged 
I love quiz shows and I love watching quiz shows in French. Recently I spent 5 days in
New Caledonia which is a "special collectivity" of France. I spent far too much time in
my hotel room watching French TV which included a lot of quiz shows and panel shows.

My favourite is the classic Qui veut gagner des Millions? Good mix of formal language
and informal chat and I can watch it weekly online.

Others I watched over there:
N'obliez pas les paroles!
Pyramide
Tout le monde veut prendre sa place
And there was one with high school kids which I don't know the name of.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Ogrim
Heptaglot
France
Joined 4419 days ago

991 posts - 1896 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, French, Romansh, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Catalan, Latin, Greek, Romanian

Message 6 of 7
19 January 2015 at 8:49am | IP Logged 
You can't talk about Spanish quiz shows without mentioning Saber y ganar. It has been broadcast every weekday since 17 February 1997, and since October 2011 there is also a weekend edition, meaning that it now runs seven days a week. There have been more than 4.300 episodes so far, so it is the longest-running programme ever on TVE. What is also amazing is that every single episode has been hosted by the same presenter, Jordi Hurtado.

2 persons have voted this message useful

Ogrim
Heptaglot
France
Joined 4419 days ago

991 posts - 1896 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, French, Romansh, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Catalan, Latin, Greek, Romanian

Message 7 of 7
19 January 2015 at 2:54pm | IP Logged 
Talking about long-running quiz shows, the French Questions pour un champion broadcast on channel France 3 and France5 Monde, even beats Saber y ganar". It was first broadcast in November 1988 and there have been over 7.600 episodes until now. And like the Spanish show it has had the same presenter since the beginning, Julien Lepers. I wonder if those guys ever get fed up with asking questions day in day out?

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version