United States
Joined 3395 days ago

14 posts - 21 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Russian, French

Message 9 of 15
16 January 2015 at 6:54am | IP Logged 
Straya wrote:
How are you enjoying assimil? im upto lesson 40-42 but they've been inconsistant from
about 37, and before i was doing a lesson daily. I've traded assimil for L-R and ive
finally had the breakthrough where i can read the french almost always with a glance at
the English.

Edit: French assimil i was referring to :)
I really like Assimil, it's my favorite program that I've tried.
Obviously you need some supplemental study materials (especially for harder languages like Russian), but it's a
nice reading/listening combo.

Can't wait until I start my other languages and get more of them. I get impatient wanting to start new
languages, but French, Russian, Italian, and Spanish may be a bit much. :)
1 person has voted this message useful

Fiyero
United States
Joined 3395 days ago

14 posts - 21 votes

Message 10 of 15
22 January 2015 at 2:18am | IP Logged 
French: I'm up to Passive lesson 73 and Active 25 with Assimil. The active phase is definitely a
challenge. While so far I've gotten probably 90% of the translation right, there are still little words or
constructions that I translate incorrectly. For example, the English will say "People do it", and I'll think, "Les
gens le font", but the book uses "Les gens le pratiquent". Or i'll forget to put a de after a verb.

I'm also on chapter 4 of Le petit prince. That is going pretty well. Understanding a large chunk, but again
certain constructions confuse me.

Also, I am continuing with lingvist.io for building vocabulary. Currently up to 2000 words, which they say is
82% of any random text. And yet, I still can't completely read a newspaper without looking up a lot of
words. I can get the main idea, but there are still a lot of strange usages I don't get.   The downside to
reaching this point on Lingvist is the newer words are less common, so they are harder to stick in memory.
Words like patrimoine don't come up too often in reading/listening.

Any suggestions on how to reach the point of not constantly translating into English? How do you just
think/react in the language without always trying to think of English first?

Edited by Fiyero on 22 January 2015 at 2:25am

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4702 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 11 of 15
22 January 2015 at 1:58pm | IP Logged 
Fiyero wrote:
Any suggestions on how to reach the point of not constantly translating into English? How do you just think/react in the language without always trying to think of English first?

There are a couple of approaches. Some say never translate, so programs like Duolingo or Assimil would be right out. For me, it's a gradual approach: the more I know, the more I can truly immerse in my reading/watching/listening. Gradually I'm getting to the point where I am understanding things without having to think of what it means in English. To do this, you need a lot of contact with the language by various means, and the more varied the better. Eventually, it will just seem more natural to say, "Les gens le pratiquent" because that's the way everyone says it in similar contexts.

Mohave
United States
justpaste.it/Mohave1
Joined 3800 days ago

291 posts - 444 votes 
Studies: French

Message 12 of 15
22 January 2015 at 2:40pm | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:
Fiyero wrote:
Any suggestions on how to reach the point of not constantly translating
into English? How do you just think/react in the language without always trying to think of English first?

There are a couple of approaches. Some say never translate, so programs like Duolingo or Assimil would be
right out. For me, it's a gradual approach: the more I know, the more I can truly immerse in my
reading/watching/listening. Gradually I'm getting to the point where I am understanding things without having
to think of what it means in English. To do this, you need a lot of contact with the language by various
means, and the more varied the better. Eventually, it will just seem more natural to say, "Les gens le
pratiquent" because that's the way everyone says it in similar contexts.

I agree with Jeffers... For me it is a gradual approach. Starting out, you might just understand a word or two
without having to translate, and then you hear words, but without understanding the meaning, and then one
day, you just understand, or you just realize this is the right thing to say/write in this context. Also, I have
found language exchange partners very valuable: whether Skyping or exchanging/correcting emails. I may
learn something in a lesson book, or hear it in a podcast, and use it, and they will tell me to say differently,
and explain they "why". And pretty soon it will become natural. For me, this process has been a series of
steps. One day, I will notice I can understand topics where I couldn't before. One day, the words just flow
where they didn't before. Texts that took me a month of Sundays to read a short while ago are now fun.
Having said, I still have a long ways to go on this journey. They key thing is to find resources (outside of
lesson material) in French that you enjoy: podcasts, music, film/TV, books, news, and try to do something in
French daily, so that this journey does not become a chore.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Fiyero
United States
Joined 3395 days ago

14 posts - 21 votes

Message 13 of 15
16 February 2015 at 6:52am | IP Logged 
So just a little update. Unfortunately haven't been as diligent with my studies lately. Was sick last week and
have been very busy.

Still continuing to do Assimil in both French and Russian. Also doing lingvist for French fairly consistently.
I'm now over 3300 words, although there are a decent amount that I blank on when those words pop back
up from awhile ago. Despite all those words learned, I still read an article in Le Monde or a chapter in Le
petit prince or Harry Potter and see so many new words or new sentence constructions that make it difficult
to translate.

Maybe an issue of not seeing those words in context enough or I guess my vocabulary is still too small.

I continue to read New Penguin Russian as well. I keep going over the chapters on cases. The more times I
re-read the chapters on case endings, the more they start to make sense. My current issue though is I still
have to think for a minute on which case I want to use. I can't wait until it becomes automatic so I don't get
so tied up in remembering case endings.

And of course vocabulary is still a monster to tackle. Still so many words I need to learn just to read basic
sentences/paragraphs. I wish there was a lingvist type website for Russian!

liam.pike1
Groupie
Australia
Joined 3547 days ago

84 posts - 122 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Esperanto, French

Message 14 of 15
16 February 2015 at 10:36am | IP Logged 
Hey!

Welcome teammate :) I'm finding your log very inspiring... I can relate to you and your language-learning
experiences a lot. I am currently on Lesson 48 of Assimil NFWE, but I've been very slack lately. I've now decided
that I will simply never go to bed without having done a lesson of Assimil.

Keep up the good work, I'll be following along :)
Liam

PeterMollenburg
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5269 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 
Studies: FrenchB1

Message 15 of 15
25 August 2015 at 4:09am | IP Logged 
Hi Fiyero,

I'm just dropping a line to give you a 'nudge' to see if you're still learning French. If
you're keen to get back to your log many of us have started new logs over on how-to-
learn-any-language.org. Join us there if you want to get involved again or continue here
if you prefer.

PM

This discussion contains 15 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version