Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4703 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 105 of 217
14 May 2015 at 1:02pm | IP Logged 
"advanced super challenge residuals"??? You really do enjoy punishing yourself!
1 person has voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4803 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 106 of 217
14 May 2015 at 1:39pm | IP Logged 
Nope, I just need a legitimate reason to procrastinate from doing anything this cruel
world expects from me. Studying for my exams at the faculty, washing the dishes
immediately after cooking, going out to look for a new boyfriend und so weiter. ;-)

PeterMollenburg
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5270 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 
Studies: FrenchB1

Message 107 of 217
14 May 2015 at 3:31pm | IP Logged 
Hey Cavesa,

I hope you're feeling at least a bit better lately. Thanks for your comments. I replied in detail in my own log
with regards to my hours logged in the 6WC. Keep studying and stay healthy. If you are bewildered like a
wilde beast in headlights with regards to my study hours, I am that wilde beast in headlights as I am baffled
how you can still study as much as you do given your other studies and emotional turmoil. You are doing
much better than I EVER did while learning languages in my 20s and experiencing major upheavals in my life
(I didn't cope emotionally and stopped studying). Stay focused, sunshine is just around the corner.

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4803 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 

Message 108 of 217
18 May 2015 at 8:51pm | IP Logged 
A new update.

Thanks for the support, it helps a lot!

I am getting behind on my schedule due to two days of headaches. But I may have found
the cause and the solution (it felt good to hear my doctor advicing me to drink even
more coffee :-D )

But I am getting back on track tonight. I need to do some grammar and other things as
well. My German needs to progress! And so does my exam preparation for my university
subjects, it's time to become a bit more responsible.

Apart of that, I managed these tiny pieces during the last week:
some episodes of Angel o Demonio (Spanish)
finished one Pratchett: Raising Steam (English)
if I hadn't mentioned it before: finished Le Phantome de l'Opera (French) (not last
week, but it had to be mentioned sometime)
and I dived into the internet-ocean and got some nice new books in several languages
on board of my pirate ship. The titles surely don't describe me as a clever,
responsible adult woman, since there are mostly titles like "150 idees pour emmerder
le monde", "la drague pour les nuls" and "le seigneur des anneaux ou la tentation du
mal" Really, I am not ready to become a normal person yet. And I like to procrastinate
by hoarding resources, just in case I got the time for studying Greek suddenly. And I
found an awesome audiobook I could use for my German soon.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4803 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 

Message 109 of 217
23 May 2015 at 9:56pm | IP Logged 
The last week has been a disaster languagewise.

After those few days of being tired and ill, I got a few days when I had to do some studying of my university subjects and the situation on this front gets worse and worse.

Today, I got back to German grammar and I'm gonna continue a bit as well. I am struggling a bit with some of the prepositions and with perfect. Both will get better with more exemples, time, input, exercises and so on. I am making tons of mistakes, even though I have better moments as well.

My reading for the super challenge+ASCR goes quite fine even though I read less than I need to.

The good news is that I am back at the 6wc, even though after such a break and with much fewer hours counted in than I had wanted. But I haven't fallen through the ranks too much, which is wierd. Is everyone getting too busy and giving up?

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4703 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 110 of 217
23 May 2015 at 10:37pm | IP Logged 
There aren't a lot of high flyers in this 6wc, especially now that PM has dropped out. I also had most of a week off due to being busy with work, and I'm still floating between 4th-6th place.

Anya
Pentaglot
France
Joined 5587 days ago

636 posts - 708 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, FrenchC1, English, Italian, Spanish
Studies: German, Japanese, Hungarian, Sanskrit, Portuguese, Turkish, Mandarin
Studies: Ancient Greek, Hindi

Message 111 of 217
24 May 2015 at 7:25pm | IP Logged 
In fact, I am quite busy now, and I want to work on other languages as well, so I spend only around a half hour on
Japanese.

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4803 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 

Message 112 of 217
26 May 2015 at 2:50am | IP Logged 
Thanks guys, you're making me feel a bit less bad about myself :-)

How are my languages going:

German-really slow. Today, I had a lot of time. Instead of studying patophysiology and learning German, I wrongly chose to eat tons of various things, feel horrible, pity myself, be angry with the world, watch 3 episodes of a tv series and spend about an hour on 9gag and other such great occupations. This needs to change, starting now. My German is progressing slowly but I can see tiny pieces going better than before every now and then, which is a good thing.

a cultural note that I realised during the last few days. My search for fantasy (and related) books and audiobooks in German showed much more material that I could use in a life time. It is strange but I need to filter things by quality, by authors etc. Something I am not that used to, I am far more often facing the "beggers can't be choosers" situation than this. And I love it :-D My search for pirate movie sources is however fruitless, at least I've got a few dvds. I should get a vpn or what is the thing called, to make my ip local anywhere I want.

Spanish: Started a new tv series, el ministerio del tiempo! And I totally love it! I recommend it to anyone (except for people hating the genre of course). It's like very clever and fun Spanish variation on the Doctor Who theme. And there is humour, history and great cultural notes. Such as "we wouldn't be Spanish if we couldn't do the job at the very last moment before the deadline". I love it. At times, I have trouble understanding, especially mumbling silent old people. But that applies to quite all my languages, sometimes even Czech. My passive skills in Spanish have caught up with my better languages, it seems. But I should work on the active ones and first of all on my grammar.

Have I told you about the bookfair? Very attentive readers may (or may not)remember my excitement about the book fair in previous years. This year wasn't bad, I got some resources for Polish (and got awesome advice and support in my decision from a girl studying Polish at university) and a book in Spanish, signed by the author. A journalist who spoke with me about the book and his great experience. And there is a photo of me with him and the book somewhere on the internet, I guess I must look horrible there (Murphy's law). And the guy who introduced us owns an awesome Spanish bookshop in Prague. He can get me anything the Amazon has got, just without the delivery fees. And I can pick the books up near my home.

Seriously, I've considered moving Spanish to "speaks" but I need to work on my grammar first. I am speaking quite fine, thanks to all the immersion, but I can spot my insecurities and mistakes. I rarely misunderstand something in a conversation but it still happens significantly more often than in French or English. But it is usually connected to quite specific vocabulary, so I'm not beating myself up over it.

This year's main guest was Egypt by the way. The arabic script looks soooo beautiful. But the way the literature was presented, it was a bit of a wasted opportunity. Their lectures and the rest of program were interesting, from what I heard and from what I've read in the programm but they took place in the middle of their exposition that wasn't too thought out. It consisted just of books in Arabic with no commentary in Czech. Not even something like "historical novels" "bestsellers" "non-fiction", "books translated in Czech" to give us an idea of the extent of Egyptian literature and eventually ideas what to seek out in translation.

French: got to a bit of reading. I could do with some more maintanance. Found some French music on youtube to add to my mix and I hated most of it. Somehow, I have more favourite musicians among the Spanish and Italian ones these days.

And I am seriously planning a new language. That is my main motivation for moving my Spanish and German up a level or two. I am torn between four options but I've got plenty of time to decide (Swedish, Polish, Italian, Russian).

P.S. El Ministerio del Tiempo has dialogues in foreign languages as well. So far I've heard French and German.

Edited by Cavesa on 26 May 2015 at 2:56am

This discussion contains 217 messages over 28 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version