Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
16 messages over 2 pages: 1 2  Next >>
Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6258 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 1 of 16
01 January 2015 at 9:29pm | IP Logged 
Now that my Chinese is at HSK 5 (ca. C1) level, I need a new goal in life. I will
continue to take some Dalarna
courses in Chinese because they're fun, but I feel that I could be content with my
present level.

So, what now? I settled on Hebrew and I even made the mistake to tell Alex Rawlings
that I'd be able to have
a basic conversation in Hebrew with him the next time he visits me in Berlin. Given my
bad experience with
Arabic, I'm hereby committing to reach B1 - at that point I'll decide whether to take
Hebrew further.
Alternatively I might take Indonesian further, which is currently at A2/B1 due to
neglect.

Furthermore, I was inspired by what Richard said at the Polyglot Workshop and I shall
attenpt to strengthen
my Dutch and Italian in such a way that they can serve as pillars for the respective
language families. The
first step will be an intensive Dutch seminar at the end of February / beginning of
March.

As in previous years, I shall also have a goal to read 50 books, including at least 25
books in languages other than English and German.

My summary of 2014 is now available at
http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?T ID=37745&&TPN=6

Edited by Sprachprofi on 03 January 2015 at 3:15pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4495 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 2 of 16
01 January 2015 at 9:39pm | IP Logged 
Good luck with Hebrew! It's a wonderful and very logical language!

What seminar are you doing? I won't be able to attend, I'll be in China, but I'm
interested to hear what it's about.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4954 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 3 of 16
01 January 2015 at 10:21pm | IP Logged 
Nice to see you back! As you may know, my wanderlust for Indonesian is at a high peak, so I am following everyone's logs. Btw, I think there is enough people for an Indonesian team, so if you're interested we can talk about one. It is quite neat at Team Rare, too, anyway.

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
Joined 6258 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 4 of 16
01 January 2015 at 11:07pm | IP Logged 
My motivation for Indonesian has been low for quite some time now, so an Indonesian team is not interesting
at this point. However, I'll be glad to help.

The Dutch seminar is a special 7-day intensive course for German and Dutch journalists who are about to
start an internship at a media company in the other country. Normally I'd have no chance to join such a
course, but I did a French course with Sylvain last year (it was amazing!) and he's organizing this course now
and they're short on German journalists learning Dutch for the partner exercises. Lucky me!

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4495 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 5 of 16
01 January 2015 at 11:16pm | IP Logged 
That sounds amazing! I should probably do something of the sort, it'd help massively with
writing in any language.
1 person has voted this message useful

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
Joined 6258 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 

Message 6 of 16
03 January 2015 at 3:15pm | IP Logged 
My summary of 2014 is now available at
http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?T ID=37745&&TPN=6

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4656 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 7 of 16
04 January 2015 at 4:52pm | IP Logged 
Hello Team Rare Teammate!

Good luck with Hebrew! It will be interesting for me to see your progress and read your thoughts about the language. I used to study Hebrew for a while at Volkshochschule and with Rosetta Stone - combining what are probably two of the worst language learning strategies :D I decided against pursuing it further (with better methods) because I had no practical use for it and not that much passion either. But I still fondly remember many of the Israeli movies I watched and I still listen to Hebrew songs (will be glad to make recommendations).
3 persons have voted this message useful

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
Joined 6258 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 

Message 8 of 16
04 January 2015 at 6:36pm | IP Logged 
Great! Please post movie & song recommendations, especially if you know any with
translations :-)

This discussion contains 16 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version