Termy
Sweden
Joined 3699 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Speaks: Swedish*

Message 1 of 9
31 December 2014 at 7:25pm | IP Logged 
Hello!

As the topic states. What show, podcast or any form of media with audio and/or subtitles/text/etc has helped you personally the most in your journey learning Spanish?

The purpose of the post is that I feel like I need some suggestions and inspiration in that area.

¡Muchas gracias!
1 person has voted this message useful

James29
Diglot
United States
Joined 5134 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 2 of 9
01 January 2015 at 1:35am | IP Logged 
For me it has certainly been VOA news (Buenos Dias America). I listen to it every week day on the way to work. It's just a normal radio news program in Spanish.

sillygoose1
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4395 days ago

566 posts - 814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, Spanish, French
Studies: German, Latin

Message 3 of 9
01 January 2015 at 3:00am | IP Logged 
Probably the first 4 seasons Aguila Roja with subs and 7 vidas/La que se avecina/Aqui no hay quien viva for listening practice without subs. The Spaniards are pretty decent at sitcoms.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6356 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 4 of 9
01 January 2015 at 4:51am | IP Logged 
Football (soccer), online courses at coursera and Miríada x, El tiempo entre costuras...

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3903 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish
Studies: Tagalog

Message 5 of 9
01 January 2015 at 5:43am | IP Logged 
As a beginner: Destinos
Then: dubbed Buffy
Then: TV series on DramaFever with English subtitles that can be turned on and off

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5021 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 6 of 9
01 January 2015 at 2:28pm | IP Logged 
I can't name a specific show. It was 15 years ago. When I was still learning Spanish, it wasn't until I started watching a telenovela "pre-internet streaming" on television that my Spanish dramatically improved.

A telenovela may be dismissed by many as a "soap opera" but telenovelas are a bit different than US soap operas. Telenovelas have a definite beginning and a definite ending. Stories within the story get resolved. In this way they are more like a mini-series. Telenovelas have high production quality and attract talented actors in the Hispanic world. The US produced and set shows generally have a pan-hispanic cast.

What I like about a telenovela for language-learning is massive exposure to everyday speech, vocabulary and patterns. The shows having five episodes a week give a learner a chance to get used to the actors' speech and accents allowing for a better chance at comprehension. Telenovelas allow the viewer an entry into the characters' lives. We see them at mealtimes, birthday parties, weddings, funerals, on a night out, at parties, in their homes, in prison, in the hospital, at school, etc.

Another advantage that exists now, that didn't when I first started learning Spanish many years ago, is that there are capsule recaps of every episode available at many sites online. Also they get archived. So you could buy a series on dvd and check your comprehension against the recap. Subtitles are hit and miss. We don't have Univisión on cable here so I am most familiar with Telemundo. The Telemundo novelas have both Spanish and English subtitles, both on broadcast and on their website. The Spanish subs are closed captions and are accurate to the audio. Oddly, they don't seem to be on the dvd's, though that may have changed by now. Go figure. Most telenovelas shown on US TV are an hour long- commercials included. Don't let the length stop you. If you are watching online or via dvd, the episodes can be split in half into two 20-22 minute segments.

Some learners have no problem drilling courses til the cows come home but don't see the value in watching a telenovela for language-learning. They can be watched intensively and extensively. You could write your own recap on lang8 and have it corrected. Your recap could become a story you tell in a language exchange or with your tutor. There are many ways to use this resource.

Yes, telenovelas are formulaic, with an ingenue and a villain, misunderstandings, lying, cheating and greed. They can be, at times, "over the top" dramatized. That being said, the stories can be an interesting window on a culture. They can draw you in and be addictive. Give a series a chance, watch a hundred "capítulos" and turbocharge your Spanish.

Edited by iguanamon on 01 January 2015 at 2:28pm

7 persons have voted this message useful

1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4049 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 7 of 9
02 January 2015 at 2:36am | IP Logged 
RT en español (RUS)
El tiempo entre costuras
(ESP)

Todo Noticias (ARG)
TeleSur (VEN)
C5N (ARG)
Canal 24 Horas (ESP)
Che, el argentino (Parte I)/Che, el
guerrillero (Parte II) (ESP)

Since you are located in Sweden, perhaps Spain broadcasting is more useful. I suggest
RTVE; they have endless amounts of all sorts of media on their website.

Edited by 1e4e6 on 02 January 2015 at 3:26am

3 persons have voted this message useful

AmyinBrooklyn
United States
Joined 3810 days ago

87 posts - 122 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 8 of 9
02 January 2015 at 6:45pm | IP Logged 
I 100% agree with iguanamon on the benefits of watching telenovelas. This year I've managed to watch 3.5 telenovelas (that's a total of 360 hours of TV watching). I've found that it has immensely improved my listening comprehension. AND it's fun - which means I do it frequently.

I've found all my telenovelas streaming on Hulu. But Univision has a beta site where you can watch a lot of shows for free (with closed captioning which is really helpful). The ones that I have watched and liked are Que Pobres Tan Ricos, Mi Corazon Es Tuyo, Por Ella Soy Eva and Porque el Amor Manda

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 9 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version