Groupie
Norway
Joined 4377 days ago

75 posts - 146 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, German, Spanish
Studies: Czech, Mandarin

Message 1 of 7
28 December 2014 at 3:02pm | IP Logged 
With a new year waiting just around the corner,it will be fun to try something new. Two or three new things, in
fact.

First of all, this is my first attempt at keeping a log here. I’m signing up for TAC 2015 with Mandarin, so that will
be my main learning focus. However, it’s also important to me to keep improving my other languages, so I will
also talk about them sometimes. I’m not signing up for TAC in more than one language, though, so let’s talk
about that one in this first post:

Mandarin will be be my first serious attempt at a non-Indoeuropean language, as well as the first time I’m
going to start a new language from scratch by myself. As you can see, that's another couple of new things, then.
My main goal at this time can probably be summed up as "get started and keep going" - for now this is way more
important to me than getting to a certain skill level in a certain amount of time.

In addition to starting a new language, there is of course also another challenge here - the one that is about
developing my own learning habits, staying motivated and finding out what works and doesn’t work for me. Right
now I’m excited about both things, and that’s why I don’t have a very detailed plan for my learning. I’m mostly
using online resources for now, and I keep finding helpful and fun stuff in various places. However, I’m also
planning to work through the Michel Thomas Foundation course, then possibly other titles in the same series if it
turns out that the method works well for me. I also bought a book to start familiarizing myself with the
characters a while ago, and I’m planning to use that in combination with this website.

Also, if you wonder why I would like to start learning Mandarin, I have a couple of main motivations. First of all,
the writing system is very fascinating to me, and I would like to get to a point where at least something will look
familiar, rather than just "awesome, but incomprehensible," as it is now. Another motivation is the fact that I’m a
snooker fan, and there are also a couple of Chinese players among my favorites in that sport. (丁俊晖 (Ding
Junhui) is one of my favorites, but I also like for example 肖国栋 (Xiao Guodong) and 梁文博 (Liang Wenbo). I tend
to want to have a "connection" to languages I want to learn - such as a band/singer or some sports favorites - so
you can see that snooker is that connection here. I suppose I will also develop some music connections with time,
as I already find myself listening to some music in Mandarin, but I won’t say I know enough to have favorites yet.

So, that’s it for a first post.

再见

Edited by Zimena on 28 December 2014 at 3:32pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6382 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 2 of 7
28 December 2014 at 4:53pm | IP Logged 
Welcome and good luck, honey! ♥

I soooo understand you about wanting a clear rather than abstract connection ;)
2 persons have voted this message useful

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4582 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Egyptian)*
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Hungarian

Message 3 of 7
29 December 2014 at 5:41pm | IP Logged 
I second Serpent's sentiments. Connections are what got me to Japanese in the first
place. Then, the more time you spend with the language, and know about its culture, the
more connections you end up making with it, because you'll start finding other things to
love about the language and country. It's like a vicious cycle :)

Welcome to the team, Zimena! Great first post and I look forward to a great year with
you.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Zimena
Tetraglot
Groupie
Norway
Joined 4377 days ago

75 posts - 146 votes 

Message 4 of 7
29 December 2014 at 6:18pm | IP Logged 
你好。
我叫 Zimena.
我是挪威国人。

I can say these and a few more words after listening to the first Michel Thomas Foundation course CD for
about an hour last night. Unfortunately, I cannot really say that I know the characters yet, but I've been
looking them up and practicing writing them today. I've also been practicing the characters for the
numbers from 1-10 for a few days. Starting with these felt sort of good, because at least the first three
are very easy, and the next six also look familiar to me because of an old game - I just never attempted
to write them by hand until now.

I'm planning to try to write a few new characters each day, and also keep practicing the ones from
previous days until I feel confident that I can write them and recognize them. However, I don't think it
makes sense for me to set a goal of so-and-so many new characters each day. The number I'm able to
take in depends on my mood that day, as well as on my confidence level when it comes to previous
characters, so I'll just try to make some progress each day.

Oh, and one more thing: At first I just practiced writing on a regular piece of paper, but today I thought
of the fact that using squared paper might help me align the strokes more correctly. Both my book and
the site I use to see the characters and the proper stroke order uses squares to aid with this, so it makes
sense to practice on squared paper, too.

...and that's a lot of talk about writing, and not that much about speaking or listening. So far I am
enjoying the course CD, though, and I'm going to listen to it some more later tonight. I tend to have
some time to myself in the evenings, so for now my plan is to spend that time listening/repeating, and
then take some time during the day to look up characters and practice them.

Ezy Ryder
Diglot
Poland
youtube.com/user/Kat
Joined 4134 days ago

284 posts - 387 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese

Message 5 of 7
29 December 2014 at 6:34pm | IP Logged 
Just a thing you might want to consider; writing characters might not be the most beneficial way of
learning. Despite popular opinion, production doesn't guarantee recognition, writing them takes
time, you're most likely to find resources for the print-block style, while most people use something
more akin to semi-cursive (aka the running style), and you might not have much use for this ability
(at least compared to reading).
However learning to write these beautiful, complex characters might be a lot of fun, so if you're
sure you want to commit to learning to write them right from the start, perhaps try something like
Anki (or other SRS), because managing reviews of thousands of characters efficiently, might
prove a bit more difficult otherwise (although of course it's possible).

Good luck in TAC'15! 加油!

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6382 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 6 of 7
29 December 2014 at 6:51pm | IP Logged 
Zimena wrote:
Mandarin will be be my first serious attempt at a non-Indoeuropean language, as well as the first time I’m going to start a new language from scratch by myself.

Wait, does it mean you started Czech with classes too? I kinda never realized. I know you've had some, of course, but I somehow assumed it wasn't from the beginning.
1 person has voted this message useful

Zimena
Tetraglot
Groupie
Norway
Joined 4377 days ago

75 posts - 146 votes 

Message 7 of 7
30 December 2014 at 5:20pm | IP Logged 
First of all, thank you for such a warm welcome, everyone. This definitely made me happy! It's also very nice to
see your input and questions.

@Ezy Ryder: I must admit that I've never been able to make friends with Anki (or its SRS cousins). I tried using it a
few times in the past, but it has always felt awkward to me. I'm simply not used to it, and I guess I'm a bit old-
fashioned and tend to think that I have to get things through my hands in order to get them into my mind. I can,
however, see that it would make sense to give it another try now. It's also true that recognizing characters is a
different skill from being able to write them, and I simply did not think of that until I saw your reply above.

I'll try to make a new Anki deck now, and I'll probably come back to how it goes in another post.

@Serpent: Well, you're right that I did not start Czech with classes... but in my opinion I also can't tell when
exactly I "started" it. The thing about me and Czech is that I started picking up words and phrases during my
travels (I've traveled there about once a year since 1997, sometimes even multiple times a year), and I also picked
up things from books, music and websites. However, I never actually "studied" it until I did that summer course in

I guess you could say that my Czech is a bit all over the place. I understand quite a bit if the topic is travel-
related or otherwise relevant to my interests (such as football or music), but on the other hand I can be
completely stuck even on fairly simple things if they're about anything else. I also know a bunch of loose words
and phrases, without knowing why things are said that way or which grammatical rules cause the words to have
this or that ending. So, metaphorically speaking, my Czech could be said to be a jigsaw puzzle to which I have a
bunch of pieces, but they don't necessarily connect to other pieces and I'm still far from seeing the picture. The
summer course helped me connect some pieces, but there are still many that don't connect.

Edited by Zimena on 31 December 2014 at 2:16pm

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version