ilolwhat
Australia
Joined 3664 days ago

5 posts - 6 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: FrenchA2, German, Polish

Message 1 of 2
27 December 2014 at 11:19pm | IP Logged 

This will be an introduction to my language learning log however for the moment it
will act as more of a stub because i wanted to have my log by the end of 2014
regardless of how fancy the first post ends up.

My name is Nick, I live on the sunny Gold Coast, and most importantly I love to surf!

My target languages for TAC (my first) are going to be Polish (język polski) and
French (Francais) with the possible return to German if i can find a native to
converse with in my city.

My main goals will be basic fluency in both languages as my partner is a pole and her
parents don't speak a lick of English (We've already had a conversation over
Christmas, which happened to be rather straining for both of us), and a European
holiday with 3 months in Poland and 6 in France from July this year.

My current levels would have to be around a2/low b1 French (only some b1 components)
and my polish is a rounded a1.

My materials so far, and which make up my daily study are as follows:
Assimil french with ease - upto lesson 37 (no days missed yet)
Anki - which has an assimil flashcard deck, and various polish words i add
Oscar Swan's first year polish - I'm up to chapter 3 after 2 months of on and off
study.
RFI apprendre - listening to broadcasts irregularly

My study times are usually about an hour per day for both languages and that is
reading, writing, listening and speaking, however i dont get to speak much french at
the moment

Not sure what is happening with teams because im a newb but if anyone wants to let me
know please do!

À bientot, i do zobaczenia

1 person has voted this message useful

plumbem!
Groupie
United States
Joined 3414 days ago

44 posts - 72 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Dutch, French

Message 2 of 2
28 December 2014 at 1:23am | IP Logged 
Hey! I am also studying French and am currently living in France. It is awesome to get some fundamentals in before you come over and try it out dans le vrai. 6 months is a great window to progress a ton!

I have sadly still not tried Assimil but hope its going well.

1.A nice supplement might be the Michel Thomas method CDs. They cut a quick path through the grammar for speaking/listening purposes.

2.Also, an Anki deck that I really got a lot out of last year for adding basic vocabulary:
https://ankiweb.net/shared/info/2803610639

3. I notice that you don't list any reading of French. If you have a kindle (or other e-reader), get some French books and get that French dictionary rolling! It makes it a lot less intimidating to tackle a text especially if you briefly acquaint yourself with the literary tenses (mostly the passé siimple) of the major verbs.

1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version