Language Learning Forum : Cultural Experiences in Foreign Languages Post Reply
bjornbrekkukot
United States
Joined 4504 days ago

25 posts - 58 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 1 of 2
18 November 2014 at 8:46am | IP Logged 
Has anyone here taught at an English school in Russia as a way to live abroad and practice Russian? I recently
applied to some schools, as I thought it would be a great way to get a year of conversational practice, but I'm
having second thoughts after reading some blogs. A lot of people complain about just being around English
speakers all the time (both at work and at home, if the company places you in a shared apartment). Even if you
want to speak Russian, you tend to befriend English-speaking coworkers, or Russians who want to speak English.
Others say they're just too tired after a long and stressful day of teaching English to actually go out and practice
Russian.

My job at home allows for a lot of freedom and time to study, but I'd love to actually live in Moscow. Any thoughts?
1 person has voted this message useful

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
last.fm/user/viadivaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4016 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German, Italian, French, Swedish, Esperanto, Czech, Greek

Message 2 of 2
18 November 2014 at 9:37am | IP Logged 
Well, I don't know any single native speaker teaching English (here in Omsk), nor do I know about English schools, but everything should be up to you. In Moscow it's very likely that you'd bump into some fellow English speakers all the way around you since it's a big city which already has a lot of visitors and such stuff. However, if you really want to practice Russian, you should just look carefully, it's quite possible in Moscow. But for a challenge you better go somewhere where your chances of meeting English speakers are lower. Compared to Moscow and St-Petersburg (and maybe Sochi, given the recent events) other Russian cities are not exactly English-friendly even though we are being taught in schools.
And of course you are much more likely to meet folks who'd like you to speak English. But I'm sure even this is quite manageable (you'll have to forget about your own students though). Not everyone here is interested even in English enough to want to speak it.
1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version