Triglot
Latvia
Joined 3447 days ago

10 posts - 11 votes
Speaks: Russian, Latvian*, English
Studies: French

Message 1 of 8
09 November 2014 at 6:26pm | IP Logged 
I am looking for a book or, to be more precise, books, newspapers, etc. in authentic English (American, British, Australian, etc., doesn't really matter).
The reason for so is the following: I need to find recent loanwords and neologisms.
These loans and neologisms have to be no more than 5 years old.
And most importantly, what makes a neologism hard to find is that one cannot find it in a dictionary. But then again, some dictionaries might include it, which means it is not a neologism anymore.
For instance, the popular 'selfie', 'hashtag' and whatnot ARE NOT REGARDED AS NEOLOGISMS ANYMORE, since they are included in dictionaries.
Please, literature lovers, I'm counting on you.
Oh, and preferably so that the source can be downloaded or not that difficult to find.

1 person has voted this message useful

Noise_
Triglot
Latvia
Joined 3447 days ago

10 posts - 11 votes

Message 2 of 8
10 November 2014 at 7:27pm | IP Logged 
Still in the need of answers

Cabaire
Germany
Joined 5358 days ago

725 posts - 1352 votes 

Message 3 of 8
10 November 2014 at 9:20pm | IP Logged 
A man comes into a library: "I am looking for a book." "Which?" asks the librarian. "It would be nice, if is made out of paper. And has a cover. And pages would be good. And many letters. Printed letters. Black letters on white papers. It should not weigh more than five kg. You see I am looking for something very SPECIFIC. I know it will be very difficult to find something as special as that, but you may try..."

I wish you good luck to find any online text as recent as five years in a rare language as English. I have never seen one, but others may have...

Edited by Cabaire on 10 November 2014 at 9:26pm

8 persons have voted this message useful

Noise_
Triglot
Latvia
Joined 3447 days ago

10 posts - 11 votes

Message 4 of 8
11 November 2014 at 10:34pm | IP Logged 
When you choose a book, you normally tend to ignore its weight. However, what you do pay attention to is the variety of language that is to be found in it. And most of the authors tend to have their own style and sometimes an odd choice of lexis (let it be too archaic, slangish, formal, and sometimes totally new). Therefore, my request is definitely not specific.
If by chance anyone, during their reading, has encountered weird lexical items or anything that arouses suspicion, let me know.

Doitsujin
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5079 days ago

1256 posts - 2363 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 5 of 8
12 November 2014 at 8:51am | IP Logged 
The books that you're looking for simply don't exist, because once a neologism makes it into a book it has pretty much ceased to be a neologism. The closest thing to what you have in mind would be transcripts of radio and TV shows, which many UK and US radio and TV stations provide free of charge, and movie subtitles.

Also have a look at this topic about "EU English" and the Natural Language Toolkit website.

Edited by Doitsujin on 13 November 2014 at 7:56am

2 persons have voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6964 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 6 of 8
12 November 2014 at 11:15am | IP Logged 
Noise_ wrote:
For instance, the popular 'selfie', 'hashtag' and whatnot ARE NOT REGARDED AS NEOLOGISMS ANYMORE, since they are included in dictionaries.

You may need to look more into popular/fringe culture to find neologisms. When one goes viral, it's all over the place.

Cabaire
Germany
Joined 5358 days ago

725 posts - 1352 votes 

Message 7 of 8
12 November 2014 at 12:02pm | IP Logged 
People say often new words just for the moment, on the fly, ad hoc creations, which will be never used again. Then some people have words only they use or their family. When does such a thing becomes a neologism worth of noticing? It has to become accepted in a group.
I for example began to call "soft packs" "Knautschpackungen" in German. People who buy them from me know now what I mean by it but most use other names. If I google it, I find very very few mentions of it by other people and one instance in a book.
So is this a nologism or only a pecularity of myself, the floor noise of language?
So my problm are not the few neologisms which become proper words, but the usual creative use of language. 99,9% will be gone like a mayfly, but when they are noticed by a broad audience like "selfie", it is to late for the purposes of Noise. The inbetween is slippery ground.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Noise_
Triglot
Latvia
Joined 3447 days ago

10 posts - 11 votes

Message 8 of 8
12 November 2014 at 6:55pm | IP Logged 
Yes, yes, you are all right. Just the fact that in my first post I wrote that those can be books, as well as newspapers or anything that can contain printed letters or it. Anyway, I think I will simply look for some scientific journal/newspaper that describes a new phenomenon that has been created (IT, medicine) and thus been given a name.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version