United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3781 days ago

90 posts - 143 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 33 of 60
15 December 2014 at 5:29pm | IP Logged 
Liam,

I just heard on the news that the hostage situation was ended. I hope there were no causalities. My prayer is for all Australians and other victims of terrorism.

Peace,
Tom
1 person has voted this message useful

liam.pike1
Groupie
Australia
Joined 3543 days ago

84 posts - 122 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Esperanto, French

Message 34 of 60
15 December 2014 at 5:45pm | IP Logged 
Hey, it's 3:30 in the morning here in Sydney, and I just heard the update then. Indeed, the siege has ended just
about an hour ago. There were injuries following a series of explosions and gunshots. I haven't heard too much
more, but I'm about to hear the live update now...

Ok, update: they're not telling us anything. The police are continuing to check for bombs.

I too am praying that no-one was seriously injured...
God bless

liam.pike1
Groupie
Australia
Joined 3543 days ago

84 posts - 122 votes 

Message 35 of 60
15 December 2014 at 6:08pm | IP Logged 
It is 4am now. I have some tragic news. 2 people have been killed, the terrorist most likely being one of the
casualties, and 5 people have been seriously injured. Words cannot express how unbelievably terrible this all is.

liam.pike1
Groupie
Australia
Joined 3543 days ago

84 posts - 122 votes 

Message 36 of 60
16 December 2014 at 2:54pm | IP Logged 
Well, I'd just like to take a moment to give my condolences to the two victims of this terrorist attack and their families. The Australian media may be ignoring and betraying you, but my thoughts and the thoughts of many are with you. I also wish to remember all the hostages and their families who will forever be haunted by this unspeakable occurrence. The world is a terrible place at the moment, and we are mourning together.

Hopefully one thing which learning a foreign language does is create understanding between people. As Nelson Mandela said, 'if you talk to a man in a language he understands, that goes to his head. If you talk to him in his language, that goes to his heart.' I hope that all of us foreign language learners are doing our little bit to try and create more understanding in the world.

Because I stayed up so late this morning, I didn't wake up till midday. I have decided to do one more lesson in its entirety before taking up my plan of only learning the 'essential' aspects of the grammar (so this is lesson 8). I have added all the words up until lesson 6 into my vocab lists. Tomorrow I wish to make a couple hundred flashcards. I am making sure to label any verb flashcards as either 'verb' or 'irregular verb', and any adjective flashcards as 'adjective'. I did the same with the 'subject pronoun' cards, and I will label cards with their appropriate classification (in the case where they're not nouns). I wish to separate all these cards from the noun cards so that I can easily practise my verbs with the subjective pronoun cards, for example.

Well, the only other thing I have to mention here is that I leave for a holiday on Saturday (yep, another one!) It's with my family, we are visiting relatives. We'll be away for around 2 weeks, so I probs won't be able to make an update here for some time once I leave. We're not taking Christmas presents (to save space) so I'll get my Assimil and grammar guide on Friday. I'll then save the files on the CD's to my computer, and then I'll put the files onto my phone. I'll then be able to use Assimil in the car (I know that my family won't wanna listen to the CD's haha). I'll also put the Pimsleur Conversational French audio on my phone (I am yet to use this material).
I doubt I'll ever buy the 'real' Pimsleur program (this conversational course is just like a way to get you in) because it costs hundreds of dollars (as if, it'd cost them like only 5 dollars to produce each copy) and I dunno if the whole 'audio only' thing would work for me... but I'd be more then happy to borrow the courses from a library sometime in the future (by then I'll probably be fairly confident in French, so the listening practise will probably be what I'll need the most of).

So yeah. I wanna have enough flashcards to last me the two weeks I'll be away. That means that I want to have around (let's just say) 500 cards ready-made in advance for when I leave. I won't have any time to make flashcards there (just being realistic). But if I can have memorised around (just a rough guess) almost 1000 words (ok, that's being optimistic) by the time I get back from holidaying, that would be awesome! So in little over two months since I started learning French, I will hopefully have a decent vocab already. 500 words a month is around 16/17 words a day... that's really good! (if I do say so myself, also considering that half the time I haven't even done much on French)

Now I just need to work out which words I should learn!

(My 5 verbs for today were: pouvoir (to be able to, ie 'can'); vouloir (to want); devoir (to have to, ie 'must'); savoir (to know how to); faire (to do, to make). I also have on my flashcards the following verbs: ĂȘtre (to be, e.g. is, am, are); avoir (to have); aller (to go). Isn't it funny how all the most important verbs are irregular? ... the FSI course has given a few important verbs, so I'll add those ones soon)

liam.pike1
Groupie
Australia
Joined 3543 days ago

84 posts - 122 votes 

Message 37 of 60
20 December 2014 at 12:10am | IP Logged 
Ok, well I'm just about to leave on a two week holiday with my family. I have Assimil which I will do in the car on the long stretch of highway (when I'm not driving), and I also have the French Pimsleur Conversational Course CD's (I think this course is unusual for Pimsleur, as it appears to be very good value). I have my Dover Essential French Grammar to read, and plenty of flashcards to take... in other words, I'm all set!

Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year everybody!

p.s - I have now updated the name of this log. I plan to use it as my TAC 2015 log. I'll put the link at the first post to where the posts made in 2015 start once I know where they'll start (most likely the next post I make).

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4698 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 38 of 60
20 December 2014 at 8:17pm | IP Logged 
Enjoy your holiday, and your studies!

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4798 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 39 of 60
20 December 2014 at 9:39pm | IP Logged 
Great holidays, teammate!

liam.pike1
Groupie
Australia
Joined 3543 days ago

84 posts - 122 votes 

Message 40 of 60
20 December 2014 at 11:22pm | IP Logged 
Thank you teammates! :D

Well, my studies so far are going well! I am flying through Assimil so far :)
Happy holidays to you all as well!

This discussion contains 60 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version