Diglot
United States
Joined 6964 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 1 of 3
28 October 2014 at 1:54am | IP Logged 
There are Videos from the Polyglot conference up at youtube. I've watched those by Iversen and Professor Arguelles and they are both interesting. They were just added in the last few days.

There are other videos from forum superstars as well.
3 persons have voted this message useful

DaraghM
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5910 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 
Studies: French, Russian, Hungarian

Message 2 of 3
29 October 2014 at 9:51am | IP Logged 
I’ve watched both their videos, and a few others as well. I really liked Iversens and enjoyed Arguelles, but wasn’t sure about his tone. Maybe it’s just me, but he seemed as if he was speaking to inexperienced tech obsessed learners, and not established polyglots at some points. Otherwise it was a good lecture. Another video worth checking out is Alex Rawlings.

Some of the faces in the audience seemed familiar. Did anyone spot themselves in a video ?

Edited by DaraghM on 29 October 2014 at 9:56am

1 person has voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6964 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 3 of 3
31 October 2014 at 11:59am | IP Logged 
The topic of maintaining a language comes up frequently. Professor Arguelles' video has his personal and
interesting conclusion in th "Target" part of his talk. That starts a little after 50 minutes into the video. He
talks about cycling through languages over a week or a month. Most interestingly, he gives more time to his
strongest languages, which he calls "major" and on his weaker languages, which he calls "minor". What he is
doing now is what his experience has led him to as the most effective.

The example he gives is for the Romance family of languages. I imagine he simultaneously studies various
familiies., at least Romance and Germanic this way. I would further assume that he does Romance and
Germanic each day, as well as other languages that may not be as strong.

The whole talk is worth listening to.

1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version