linguchan
United States
Joined 3485 days ago

5 posts - 13 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Irish, French

Message 50 of 63
14 December 2014 at 10:39pm | IP Logged 
So, how does everyone feel they fared, now that the 6 weeks is up? I was hoping to reach 100 hours of French, but was a little disappointed to have only ended up with 80. I overestimated how much studying I would be able to do while on vacation I guess. Overall I feel like I've reached a lower level with French than I had expected within the span of 6 weeks, but I really enjoyed the challenge, and came out with a better understanding of how to improve my study habits.

I spent the majority of my study time either listening to or shadowing French. I used Assimil, and studied 2 new lessons everyday (though sometimes I had to double-up and do 4 lessons a day because studying on certain days wasn't feasible). I feel like I often rushed through my lessons as well, and that I wasn't giving enough attention to verb tenses and grammar. I shadowed each new lesson 10 times the first day, and then once a day for the next 9 days. I tried to also do scriptorium for each new lesson, and to do so again when I dropped the lessons, but unfortunately I couldn't motivate myself to keep up with it. I believe the lessons I did scriptorium for are the lessons that I understand the best though, because I took the time to understand each word. Overall I feel that the shadowing of each lesson only gained me the ability to say that lesson quickly with adequate pronunciation, and to better distinguish between words when listening. I don't feel like I've learned enough French grammar or vocabulary, though I am sure I've "assimilated" some. I think this much exposure to the language can only be a good thing. I do often get phrases from my lessons stuck in my head, which means I must be absorbing the information, if only subconsciously.

I also spent my leisure time listening to Disney movies in French, particularly Aladdin, which I probably watched about 10 or 12 times, with and without subs. I also did something like the LR method with Pride and Prejudice, but as I had no parallel texts I just listened to the chapter once while looking at the French text and again right after while looking at the English. As I've read that novel more times than I can count in English, I could understand quite a bit of the story in French, and never really got lost. I don't know what exactly this exercise has done to improve my French, since there's no way to know if my comprehension is getting better or if I'm just understanding based on prior knowledge of the text. Regardless though, I felt like anything I could do in French that I found fun would be worthwhile, as it would motivate me to keep studying.

As to continuing French in the future, I'm starting lessons 96 and 97 today with Assimil, and I would like to finish the book and then continue to shadow it for several months in the future; really burn those dialogs into my memory. I also intend to start the advanced book within short order of completing "French with Ease", and to supplement with some grammar study.

On a side note, my boyfriend took this 6 week French challenge with me, though he didn't tweet his times, and he ended up with 55 hours or so of French study. He applied Learning With Text to his studies and worked on nothing but Assimil, using the same shadowing method. I feel that because he utilized LWT, and specifically because he made annotated texts, he managed to get a better understanding of grammar and vocabulary than I did, though he spent quite a bit less time with the language.

I'd like to know what methods everyone else used and also if they ended up reaching their personal goals with this challenge. It's been very helpful, I think, to have a deadline and some friendly competition. I was very inspired by some who are listed as being employed full time and yet who achieved really high numbers of study hours despite that. You've all kept me working hard, so I wanted to thank you and congratulate you on what you've achieved. Good job everyone! : )
3 persons have voted this message useful

smallwhite
Pentaglot
Australia
Joined 5113 days ago

537 posts - 1045 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin, French, Spanish

Message 51 of 63
15 December 2014 at 12:43pm | IP Logged 
smallwhite wrote:

I decided to do Russian instead, and I will just learn it normally. I'm a complete beginner.

I came 1st or 2nd during the first few weeks, then I stopped studying due to moving house, and ended up at 4th (target) and 5th (overall). I don't regret stopping because it was simply impossible to study at the time, and because the earlier weeks had been extremely fruitful. I got to know about the Russian language, got an overview of all the grammar, learned 1000+ words, became able to match up audio and text in L-R sessions, understood a number of listening exercises... which I consider quite an achievement given that I was a complete beginner before the Challenge.

I also decided that I don't want to learn Russian anymore. Sounds sad, but killing wanderlust is a good thing. I turned back to Italian, began to read fiction, and can now read satisfactorily aka not too frustratingly.
2 persons have voted this message useful

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3852 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, Spanish, French, English
Studies: Dutch

Message 52 of 63
16 December 2014 at 8:04am | IP Logged 
from my log

Quote:

well, I terminated the 6 weeks challenge.
my original goal, quite improbable, was consisting in 80 hours of Spanish.
Instead, I did 28h of Spanish, 15 of French, 12 of Dutch and an incredible 15 minutes of Latin (... yes I abandoned
that project almost immediately).
This for a total of almost 56 hours of study, that, considering that I work full time and there are days in which I don't
study at all, it's not that bad.

The effect of this 6 weeks challenge: improvements in French and Dutch and from only understanding Spanish now I
can also speak a little. I have to say, not as big as the effects of my 40 hours of study of Dutch the previous 6wc.

1 person has voted this message useful

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4694 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 53 of 63
16 December 2014 at 11:58pm | IP Logged 
I wanted to take a half break from the Super Challenge to push my Italian forward; my
hope was that I'd have an easier time reading after some formal study. And my
results:

Week 1: I start strong. I have five days off work this week, and no social
commitments. I read, I watch tv, I pick up Assimil and Living Language where I left
off last summer. I build an anki deck, and download Michel Thomas vocab builder onto
my walkman. I peak at number 11 on the charts, tantalizingly close to the top ten!

Week 2: Last week's pace was fun but not sustainable. This week I settle into what I
hope will be a long term groove. I average a little more than an hour a day, and slip
down into the top 15.

Week 3: Work gets crazy busy. I wasn't expecting this. I get home mentally tired, and
all I wanted to do was listen to music and chill. I keep up with my reading and
tv, but actual study slips. I hover somewhere between 18 and 22 in the rankings.

Week 4: Social life gets crazy. This is a good thing, thought there's not much time
for studying.    

Week 5 & 6: I stop updating on twitter. It just got to be too much of a pain. Partly this was because I spent the first weekend on the beach with a sangria in one hand and a book in the other. I would read, nap, gossip, surf, nap, read, repeat. It was a bit hard to keep track of my time. And yet I only slipped to number 25 in the charts - I think others must have dropped off also.

Final results: In the 30 days I tracked myself I had 34 hours of Italian and 21 hours
of French. This includes 6 hours with Assimil and 6.5 with Living Language.

I also realized (or re-realized) that I spend more time building anki decks than
actually using them. I think SRS is great, but I can never commit to it for more than
a week or two. And I listened to Michel Thomas Language Builder exactly once. I like
his intro courses a lot, but have no patience for his "master class."

I didn't make the huge leap I wanted; I needed one or two more language-intensive
weekends for that. But it did feel like a nice, small hop forward.

Edited by kanewai on 17 December 2014 at 3:15am

1 person has voted this message useful

linguchan
United States
Joined 3485 days ago

5 posts - 13 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Irish, French

Message 54 of 63
17 December 2014 at 2:04am | IP Logged 
kanewai wrote:
I also realized (or re-realized) that I spend more time building anki decks than actually using them. I think SRS is great, but I can never commit to it for more than a week or two.

I debated whether or not to use an SRS when starting the challenge for this very reason. In the end, I chose to embrace the idea of assimilating French through listening, shadowing and reading the same lessons/chapters/films repeatedly.

My first two years of studying Japanese were almost entirely Anki-based with a bit of grammar study, and a heck of a lot of anime watching. Even when I would just modify decks from other people, I was still spending a lot of time editing cards with better definitions, or adding tags or audio etc. It would get to the point where I wouldn't even want to open the program because of all the extra work that went into prepping new cards, and therefore there were many days where my reviews piled up and had to be subsequently rescheduled. Such is my level of willpower I guess. But you know, I didn't feel like it was worth the effort.

I found that though I tried vocab cards (studying front to back and back to front), cloze-deletion cards, and normal sentence cards, the only way that Anki really seemed useful to me was when I had it show me short paragraphs that included a word I didn't know, with that word highlighted in blue. I needed to know what that word meant in that specific context, rather than a list of maybe 15 possible uses for the word. Really, I could do the same thing by sticking the sentences in Learning with Texts and making annotated texts to read aloud daily, (or better yet, shadow if I pulled them out of an audiobook or something). So that's what I do now instead. I find this process more enjoyable anyway, because you end up getting practice in listening comprehension, reading comprehension and pronunciation, and I feel the results of those studies every day.

As my boyfriend puts it, Anki seems to improve your knowledge of one thing: how to do Anki really well. I wonder if he and I are the only ones that could see one of our cards and be able to answer it almost instantly based not on our understanding of the word, but on the vague shape of the paragraph of text that described all of the word's possible definitions. "Oh, right. The transitive verb that can mean about thirty different things and takes up two thirds of the screen? That must be あげる. Yep, I'm going to hit Easy on that one."

Everyone studies differently though, right? Maybe SRS just isn't something that works well for my language studies, but is just the right fit for someone else. Since there's no way to know what works for you without some trial and error, I think these challenges are a good opportunity to experiment. In that way, I'm very happy with my results.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6387 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 55 of 63
17 December 2014 at 5:26pm | IP Logged 
linguchan wrote:
"Oh, right. The transitive verb that can mean about thirty different things and takes up two thirds of the screen? That must be あげる. Yep, I'm going to hit Easy on that one."

This is exactly why I don't do sentence cards. I love having the context, but I put the sentence on the back instead of on the front. I want as little context as possible on the front. I don't even want to know what gender it is or if it's an adjective or noun (in cases where that's not evident). The stock response from people who do do sentence cards is that the ability to guess based on context disappears after a while, but I've never gotten to that point; I always feel I'm wasting my time before that point arrives.

I do do Anki, though, about an hour a day to get through my decks (Around 15,000 cards at the moment). I'm fortunate enough to find Anki enjoyable, but I understand people who find it boring and if you don't enjoy it, you need to change the routine or stop altogether. I think you made the right call, since no routine seems to have worked for you.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6402 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 56 of 63
17 December 2014 at 7:58pm | IP Logged 
I find that it helps to take several sentences from the same article. If I'm just remembering superficially, I'll usually mix them up.
Maybe sentence cards work better for somewhat transparent words.

I agree that the decision seems right, but I think the main mistake was making the cards too complicated. If a verb has 32 uses, pick about five and make separate cards for them, with example sentences preferably. The sentence cards should ideally be easy enough that it takes less effort to remember the word than to associate it with the shapes etc. It also helps to choose such short sentences that there's no noticeable shape.

Ari, I wonder what kind of sentences you used? I think I definitely need an emotional/personal connection to sentence cards.

This discussion contains 63 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version