United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4996 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 1 of 5
06 October 2014 at 5:57pm | IP Logged 
Recently in a thread about an Italian book seller, there was a lot of complains about people not being able to access physical books in some languages. Here in the UK there is a book swapping website (Read it, Swap it) which allows members to look through each others books, and arrange to exchange used books. You pay postage to get your book to them, and they pay postage to get the book to you. That is the only cost, and like ebay you get a rating for each swap, so people know who is dependable. I'm talking about physical paperbacks obviously.

It occurred to me there is a great potential for members of this site to exchange books with other members. For example I'd be more than happy to post books in English to someone who has books in French, Italian or Mandarin. It is easy for me to go to Charity shops or second-hand book shops here and get a wide variety of books in English for exchange and I figure a lot of other native speakers could do the same.

Is there any interest in this type of thing? If so I can provide web-hosting and probably hack together a set of php scripts to do the swapping. (Or if there is a decent web-programmer who'd volunteer!)

13 persons have voted this message useful

jondesousa
Tetraglot
United States
goo.gl/Zgg3nRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6024 days ago

227 posts - 297 votes 
Speaks: English*, Portuguese, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Mandarin, Spanish

Message 2 of 5
07 October 2014 at 1:45pm | IP Logged 
I have a large stack of books right now that I'm trying to get rid of on eBay to make space. It would be better for me to join a swap like this so I could reciprocally obtain books in Latin, Ancient Greek, Mandarin, and Japanese which I would prefer to read. I'm interested if something like this were set up.
1 person has voted this message useful

rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4996 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 3 of 5
07 October 2014 at 3:23pm | IP Logged 
Well there seems to be some interest, and I have a little bit of time. So I'll see what I can put together. I'm a programmer not a webdesigner, so what I make will work, but won't look pretty!

3 persons have voted this message useful

jondesousa
Tetraglot
United States
goo.gl/Zgg3nRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6024 days ago

227 posts - 297 votes 
Speaks: English*, Portuguese, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Mandarin, Spanish

Message 4 of 5
07 October 2014 at 5:09pm | IP Logged 
Functional is all that I care about. Pretty is just icing on the cake.

2 persons have voted this message useful

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5155 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 5 of 5
13 March 2015 at 8:20pm | IP Logged 
This is a cool idea. I have way more books than I need. Did you ever do anything like this, rdearman?

1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version