United States
Joined 7005 days ago

240 posts - 252 votes 
Speaks: English*, Russian
Studies: Persian

Message 1 of 6
14 April 2005 at 6:47pm | IP Logged 
Ardaschir,

Do you think your method of shadowing tapes holds much for the advanced learner?

I'm at the point where I understand 99% of any new dialogue I hear in any new program. Is there still a point in absorbing these dialogues at progressively deeper and deeper levels as you have described, or do you think one would be better off putting their efforts into real life practice?

Thanks.

Edited by victor on 14 April 2005 at 7:41pm

1 person has voted this message useful

roadrunner
United States
secretstoimprovememo
Joined 6944 days ago

15 posts - 16 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Italian

Message 2 of 6
15 April 2005 at 5:45pm | IP Logged 
I just read his post on shadowing last week and tried it out. I'm going through Ultimate Italian and started memorizing the dialogues until I can "shadow" the recording in real time. I do like it since I now have these dialogues memorized, the vocabulary and sentence structure are deeper and more permanent in my mind than when I just had and "understanding" of the dialogue. I am going to continue to study the course using this method and see how I feel at the end. I used Aradschir's suggestion of writing out the recording over and over until it is rote.

ProfArguelles
United States
foreignlanguageexper
Joined 7037 days ago

609 posts - 2102 votes 

Message 3 of 6
15 April 2005 at 7:41pm | IP Logged 
Shadowing can play a role in almost any stage of your relationship with a language. In the very beginning I would suggest a period of using it exclusively, and throughout the actual learning stage it should play the major role. However, once you get more advanced you should indeed add other techniques, and so naturally the amount of time you spend shadowing will decrease.

Seth, if you now understand 99% of anything you hear in any new program, then you should certainly move on to other things as well. However, if you want to keep improving your accent, intonation, listening skills, and vocabulary in this fashion, you can move on past language learning programs to listening to recorded books for native speakers in your target language.

If you actually have the chance to converse in your language on a daily basis and you have no trouble doing so, then there is little need to practice shadowing. However, when you are removed from a language's environment, occasional shadowing even of languages that you know quite well is a good way of preventing them from getting rusty. I myself make a point of spending at least one hour a month shadowing every single language I know, no matter how advanced I am in it, just as a form of maintenance.
2 persons have voted this message useful

souley
Joined 7022 days ago

178 posts - 177 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*
Studies: Arabic (Written), French

Message 4 of 6
15 April 2005 at 8:11pm | IP Logged 
I could not find the thread about Shadowing, so could someone please shortly describe what it means?

ProfArguelles
United States
foreignlanguageexper
Joined 7037 days ago

609 posts - 2102 votes 

Message 5 of 6
17 April 2005 at 9:29am | IP Logged 
I know that I described the method of shadowing in very specific detail somewhere on this site, but I do not remember where, and even if I did, I would be incapable of successfully providing a link. Can another moderator help? I suspect it is under "Assimil" in the methodologies forum.

guillaume
Pentaglot
Groupie
France
Joined 6962 days ago

59 posts - 57 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, German, Spanish, Japanese
Studies: Mandarin

Message 6 of 6
17 April 2005 at 10:14am | IP Logged 
There are two threads talking about the subject :

Assimil and shadowing - first description of the process of shadowing

Shadowing and audiobooks - further discussion of the technique using audiobooks and explanation on the benefits of walking

There are probably other thread discussing about this but those are the two main threads.

Edited by guillaume on 17 April 2005 at 10:15am

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version